How Do You Tell Your Dog -

Ness, I think Staranais answered your question very well and I am of the same mind. I don't care if my dog gives me a driven response to a command when I haven't asked her to be in drive as long as she complies.

As for ensuring that she goes into drive when I tell her to, there is no compulsion rather she has been conditioned through loads of training to learn that if she doesn't go into drive when I ask then she ultimately ends up loosing out. The training program is quite detailed to get her to this point but I usually remove the reward when she failed to go into drive... bascially I go out ask her to go into drive, if she doesn't then I go back inside and ignore for maybe a day and then try again. She quickly learnt that if she doesn't go into drive when I ask then life gets pretty boring!!!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Basically, though, I think we're all doing very similar things. You say: "Bring out a roll or orange bunting and they know exactly what is going on and will do everything with lightning speed. Ask them casually for something in the back yard and you'll get an in kind response. Either way I still expect a response. "

:mad

I agree - I think we all expect a similar response but go a different wayabout it / express what we mean differently :mad

Either way - an interesting read! I like hearing what you all do who TID and also just what others do in general to get their dogs 'ready' to work.

As cosmolo said - she warms her dogs up but it's probably more for her than the dogs - I'm the same :mad

My trigger to get Poppy into drive came about by accident! I was using the ssssss noise when working sheep with her, I was using the noise to get her to move as she likes to stare at the sheep. For some reason I used the same noise in a trial ring run through one day when she was off with the fairies and there she was! She is obviously not getting the 'special' reward of sheep but it doesn't seem to matter.

Hey Guys I missed the whole point of the thread when I replied at the start as to me work means working dog!!

So I just kept quiet and read the responses, very interesting, I actually went to an obedience trial on the weekend ( not that mine will do that for years , if ever but just to look) I admire the dogs and handlers that put all that work in and wow what great results. Its poetry in motion to see well trained dogs. It was great to see the Chis to the Kelpies and of course those wonderful BCs, then the pound dogs who really made a mark in their classes as well.

J

Basically, though, I think we're all doing very similar things. You say: "Bring out a roll or orange bunting and they know exactly what is going on and will do everything with lightning speed. Ask them casually for something in the back yard and you'll get an in kind response. Either way I still expect a response. "

:mad

I agree - I think we all expect a similar response but go a different wayabout it / express what we mean differently :mad

Either way - an interesting read! I like hearing what you all do who TID and also just what others do in general to get their dogs 'ready' to work.

As cosmolo said - she warms her dogs up but it's probably more for her than the dogs - I'm the same :mad

Hey Guys I missed the whole point of the thread when I replied at the start as to me work means working dog!!

You mean working dog instead of a competition dog? Because the working SAR dogs I've trained with are all cued when to get into drive to work as well, either with a verbal cue, or by having a special collar put on, or just seeing their owners getting geared up in their SAR kit. I'm sure most working dogs are similar, in that they are somehow told that it's time to work.

I am interested to hear what/how people say/do to let their dogs know its time to work/train and also when its time to stop.

This is something I have not done with Tilly and really should have from the start. Once I start asking her to 'look', she gets it, but I have learnt from my training school that I really should be giving her a defined cue.

Would love to hear examples and/or suggestions on how to start.

Thanks in advance.

Having a ready cue ( or whatever you use - snapping the fingers) is basically commanding for focus/ready. Especially useful when owners stop in the middle of training to talk or listen (or become distracted forever reason). Rest , release or free for the same reason. Novice trainers tend to loose concentration but still expect their dogs to sit/stay or whatever by their sides. Not fair on the dog when in training sessions.

Dogs read our body language, harnesses, environment, our clothing etc very well.

Remember to smile: http://www.imtiredonline.com/smile/

Edited by Lablover