Very Worried About Grumpy

He was shivering in the car so I took him to the vet. He was muzzled getting out of the car and being examined. He seemed fine and was all friendly and charming with me (not with the vet, which is normal). When I got him home, though, and tried to get him out of the car, it was the same behaviour all over again. Finally, I pulled him out of the car and he's in his crate. He's still muzzled but it's a soft one so he can drink. I really have to decide what to do now. I've sent his breeder an email. I hope he gets it and responds today because I could do with his advice.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only that it was probably the drug or a brain seizure. He may have some food in his teeth but given his behaviour, both of us decided not to test that one. He'd have to be sedated. He had a good look at his eyes and body and did a blood test for fat and dehydration. Both were normal.

So sorry to read this Sheridan. Hope Grumpy is starting to feel better.

I know when vets sedated my boy he also couldn't get out of the car, it seemed he was hallucinating and could not judge/see clearly the jump down from the car, he was scared. He just kept crying and dozing until the meds wore off.

Hope this is just one of those things and tomorrow he feels much better.

Thanks, wire. He was in his crate most of the afternoon and I let him out and took him for a walk. He's had a big drink and he's lying on his bean bag for now. Just to make sure Mini is safe, she's crated. I've had several emails with his breeder across the day and he will agree with whatever decision I make, if I need to make one. The blood test results should be in tomorrow and I hope they show something that is fixable. I love him so much; it's just awful seeing him unlike himself.

I hope he pulls through, wire, so we can meet up. I remember your lad's puppy pics; he was my favourite from that litter. Such a beautiful sable.

He ate two tins of sardines last night. I didn't want to give him any kibble in case it irritated his tummy. Directly after dinner (around 8.30) he slept for a couple of hours and then I put him back in his crate and he's slept through the night. He's still asleep. I've opened the crate door so he can come out in his own time.

Grumpy slept through until around 2.00. He's been outside to do his wees and poos, had something to eat and has been asleep since. If he comes out around 5-ish, I'll see if he wants to go for a short walk.

ETA: Bloody swine flu. Just spoke to the vet and there's a delay in getting test results back from the lab because they're busy with the swine flu. Stupid swine flu.

Edited by Sheridan

Thanks, Daisy. :thumbsup:

He's gone back to bed now. The dog across the road has started her evening 'Welcome back, everyone who's been at work' barking so I hope it doesn't wake him up. Mini's not reacting, which is good.

Hi Sheridan, it must be so distressing waiting for his bloods. Have wine....I'll join you :cry:

Hope he has a peaceful evening. I guess he isn't showing any signs of distress or pain which is good. As you know, when we are feeling like shit a warm bed and lots of sleep is pretty much what we need.

Hope he feels better soon.

Thanks, wire. We went for a walk around 7.30 and he's having a sleep. I will have to crate him again tonight and let Mini out. She's been out all day so it won't hurt for her to be crated for a wee while. Things are quiet and he's been a good boy.