Carbohydrates For Puppies Diet

I don't agree that puppies need cereals but the reality is that a lot of people are going to feed their pups on commercial (cereal based) foods through their life so once they're eating meat properly I give them cereals of all sorts - commercial food included.

I believe that if they aren't introduced to these things early it can contribute to allergy/sensitivity issues later. I wean them on to 100% meat and introduce what I consider to be "unnatural" things to them about 6 weeks. Rice, weetbix, pasta, commercial food, a bit of bread - all stuff the average owner is likely to give the dog.

With our adults they will get bread when there's some going stale, rice pasta etc if there's left overs, commercial food if we're travelling but in the normal run of things no, not a lot of cereals in their diet.

brown rice is good. Is he on a kibble or are you raw dieting? If your dog already has kibble there is no need to give extra cereals in the diet, raw meaty bones are a better option

He is on advanced usually sometime i will give him some cooked pasta with beef or chicken & veggies.

I don't agree that puppies need cereals but the reality is that a lot of people are going to feed their pups on commercial (cereal based) foods through their life so once they're eating meat properly I give them cereals of all sorts - commercial food included.

I believe that if they aren't introduced to these things early it can contribute to allergy/sensitivity issues later. I wean them on to 100% meat and introduce what I consider to be "unnatural" things to them about 6 weeks. Rice, weetbix, pasta, commercial food, a bit of bread - all stuff the average owner is likely to give the dog.

With our adults they will get bread when there's some going stale, rice pasta etc if there's left overs, commercial food if we're travelling but in the normal run of things no, not a lot of cereals in their diet.

I was actually wondering if weetbix would be suitable for his morning meal.

nope. He's too old for that type of sloppy food :) give him a proper meal with a meat based protein source in it, he's not a weaning puppy he's a growing doggy :hug:

yes mine get left overs and cereals but its a small proportion of their overall diet.

As a meal - IMO no. As a taste/texture/filler included in other food - don't see the harm as long as there's no allergy issues.

My mum had care of one of my old bitches. All winter mum made an extra serving of porridge (oats) for Carla's breakfast, served with a dollop of cold water and some milk along with a chicken wing or mince. In the summer Carla had a weetbix and milk with a chicken wing or mince - or a specially made slice toast & marmite. (excuse the marmite, we're Kiwis :hug: )

She was never happy to come and stay with us and be served a chicken carcase straight out of the fridge :)

From everything I have learnt - cereals/grains/corn don't have much nutritional value for dogs and are used as fillers, they are used to bulk out their food and they pretty much go straight through them. I feed two of mine on a raw diet and I don't feed any grains to them at all, I do feed some raw pureed vegies and the carbs I feed include sweet potato and pumpkin - but this is only a small part of their diet.

If I feed dried food I go for as minimal grain content as possible - I feed my cat on Artemis grain free and I've used Eagle Pack Holistic as they do alternate sources of protein (like fish) which Cherry had before due to her allergies.

They might get a bit of pasta if we have left overs as a treat but it's nothing that makes up their regular diet.

Grains and starchy vegetables aren't needed by dogs, but I don't think they're necessarily just "filler" either. Feed your dog too much porridge or too much potato and he'll get fat, so he must be absorbing a reasonable proportion of the nutrients in it!

Of course, green veges and fruit have carbs in as well, and even some animal products (like liver) have a reasonable amount of carbohydrate in them. So it would be pretty hard to design a dog diet with no carbs in at all.

To the OP, I see nothing wrong with including a little weetbix or porridge with your pup's meal, as long as the emphasis is on raw meaty bones and meat. Though as Nehkbet says, he's probably already getting plenty of cereal in his kibble.

Stay away from carbs that come from cereals/grains.

Grains are full of carbohydrates which can be easily converted to sugars. Cancer cells feed on sugars and it is believed that by decreasing the amount of carbohydrate in the diet, we may greatly reduce the risk of cancer (which is a growing problem among modern dogs).
When dogs have carbohydrates as a large part of their diet, the time, and energy, required for digestion increases. With more undigested food sitting in the stomach, a dog will perform less well, and larger amounts of stool are produced. Most importantly, a protein deficiency might occur.

Hi Jettyjet, you're looking at a Purina (commercial) website and as most of their products are either grain based or contain a lot of grains as fillers, they are going to push the myth that lots of grains are good for dogs :laugh: . I think their products contain way too much grain-based carbohydrates in amounts that are not natural or healthy for dogs (just my opinion :laugh: ). I choose not to give those kind of products to my dogs at all. I think they get all the nutrients they need from a raw/natural diet. :laugh: