How Do You Handle Defiance?

Tilly is quite the free spirit if she is out of the house. I don't really associate the term 'defiance' with dogs though.

If i'm at the park with Tilly playing fetch and she ignores a familiar command, something that i've found works with her is turning and walking in the opposite direction (ideally towards the car) and that seems to send her the message of if she's not going to listen then we'll go home. It doesn't work all of the time, but it is reasonably effective for Tilly.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What would a dog have to do to be called defiant, then? What is defiance if it's not choosing to loudly and conspicuously not do what has been asked?

It's going off on a bit of a tangent because everyone has pretty much answered my question anyway, but I'm curious again. :D

What would a dog have to do to be called defiant, then? What is defiance if it's not choosing to loudly and conspicuously not do what has been asked?

It's going off on a bit of a tangent because everyone has pretty much answered my question anyway, but I'm curious again. :D

I don't think defiance is such a good word to apply to dogs - it implies a conscious decision to rebel whereas it's more a case of balancing different levels of motivation.

:D Sorry dumb question alert, but what is NRM?

Not a dumb question! NRM stands for non-reward marker. For example, I will say to Zig "oh well" if his behaviour is not appropriate. Very calmly, I might add. For him it means: "You have not performed that correctly, therefore you miss out on a chance to earn a reward. You can have another chance at completing the behaviour successfully." It's actually a form of negative punishment as you are taking away (negative) the reward to reduce the occurrence of a behaviour (punishment). Used carefully it's a wonderful tool. When I give a NRM Zig wags his tail and tries harder the next time. Hope that makes sense!

What do you do when your dog defies you? Example, you give a command and pup barks and whines at you instead of doing it and you KNOW they know it.

How old is pup? What is submissive in the litter? Frustration barking as mentioned by others can be significant especially when very young. Leant.

Watch two dogs, one with a valued reward..the other submissive dog, vocalises.

Regardless barking is a behaviour to do not wish to encourage....so.............................................

.train........reward for correct responses.