Shooting In M

ruthless

What's the benefit of shooting in manual mode over AV or TV?

I always shoot in AV and I've seen comments made that you should shoot doggy action stuff in manual. Why is that?

When I'm doing dog portraits I'm moving around a lot and I feel that shooting in manual would slow me down and I'd miss the moment too much. I'm open to try it, but I want to know what the advantages are first :cheer:

Guest Tess32

It's only a benefit IMO if you are shooting in difficult light or you deliberately want to over or underexpose or carefully expose a certain area.

If it's light where the camera's metering system is doing a good job, I see no benefit as AV or Tv is much quicker.

Guest Tess32

Doesn't really make any sense why it would, you'd have locked in the exposure anyway if you were taking a burst of shots.

OK - shooting in Manual photo taken at 1/1000th sec F8. Camera left to pick speed it took the photo on 1/640th. Horse jumping over fence in sunlight the 1/1000th was far clearer of the two.

Aperture priority is very useful if you are changing between sun and shade such as after race presos where you are trying to get a head shot and rug shot as you dont have to muck about changing the speed BUT on either AV or TV if the camera spots something very bright and your subject is dark then it will automatically go with the lightand set for that (eg something that is backlit).

The shutter 'lag' mentioned would not be all that noticable in AV but it would be caused with the camera trying to make adjustments (I noticed my camera was slower with one of my older lenses compared with a newer one - but 'slower' as in 10 shots in the space it would take 15 with the newer lens). At the finish of a horse race makes a diffence - with someone going at walking pace not so much.

However if someone is taking action pics in sunlight and you want to control the speed your camera is taking pics at (and control DOF with teh aperture) you use manual and set on something like 1/1000th F8 and ISO 400 (and adjust accordingly - you dont adjust every second shot). Then you know what you are taking and you know it will use a high shutter speed and that you wont end up with a low DOF because the camera sensor spotted something in the background.

If you are shooting raw, maybe it's the delay writing to the card?

If you are using your 5D, it has a slower continuous shooting mode than the 50D. I think the 5D has 3.5 frames per second while the 50D has 6.3 frames per second.

(My 30D has 5 frames per second).