German Shephered Not Listening To Us

Hi, Im new to this forum and was hoping someone could give me some advice?

I have two german shephereds Xena (16months) and Boss (10months) they have both been to obedience and know the basics. they are great dogs.

A new neighbour has just moved in next door with his 9 week old Bull Arab. Xena is now obsessed with that fence line and is ignoring my partner and myself. Boss doesnt care about the new dog but follows Xena everywhere, we dont know what to do about her obsession and why she doesnt seem to care about us anymore?

would anyone know what we can do???

It's called a "distraction". The training does not end when the dog can come, sit, drop and stay in class. Sooner or later you have to venture out into the real world and then distractions bring all your training unstuck.

My preferred method is to introduce distractions carefully, always ensuring that my dog is set up for success and reinforcing that success. You can do that by putting one of your dogs inside, taking the other dog outside on-leash, and working on your obedience at the opposite end of the yard to the neighbour with the Bull Arab pup. Slowly move closer, being careful to ensure success all the way.

Think of distractions as being on a sliding scale. Right now your dogs can deal with a Level 1 distraction. Having both dogs outside and a new pup behind the fence is putting them into a Level 10 distraction. Removing one dog reduces it to Level 7. Having the remaining dog on leash reduces it to Level 5. Working on the opposite end of the yard reduces it to Level 3 - you're getting there, you will probably get some results.

Pretty soon THAT dog can deal with a Level 4 distraction, so you move a little closer. Over time he will be able to deal with Level 5, so you move closer. When he can deal with Level 7, try him off leash.

Does that make sense?

Don't take it personally, I'm sure they still love you! This is just how it works.

It's called a "distraction". The training does not end when the dog can come, sit, drop and stay in class. Sooner or later you have to venture out into the real world and then distractions bring all your training unstuck.

My preferred method is to introduce distractions carefully, always ensuring that my dog is set up for success and reinforcing that success. You can do that by putting one of your dogs inside, taking the other dog outside on-leash, and working on your obedience at the opposite end of the yard to the neighbour with the Bull Arab pup. Slowly move closer, being careful to ensure success all the way.

Think of distractions as being on a sliding scale. Right now your dogs can deal with a Level 1 distraction. Having both dogs outside and a new pup behind the fence is putting them into a Level 10 distraction. Removing one dog reduces it to Level 7. Having the remaining dog on leash reduces it to Level 5. Working on the opposite end of the yard reduces it to Level 3 - you're getting there, you will probably get some results.

Pretty soon THAT dog can deal with a Level 4 distraction, so you move a little closer. Over time he will be able to deal with Level 5, so you move closer. When he can deal with Level 7, try him off leash.

Does that make sense?

Don't take it personally, I'm sure they still love you! This is just how it works.

Thanks for that info, it does make sence. Ill give it a go and hopefully it will start to work. :laugh: If once we go inside and she goes straight back to the fence what do we do?

Thanks for that info, it does make sence. Ill give it a go and hopefully it will start to work. :laugh: If once we go inside and she goes straight back to the fence what do we do?

Is she being territorial or just interested? What sort of fence have you got?

One of my dogs was notorious for jumping up at the fence to look at the neighbour's dog. I fenced off a separate section of the yard which solved the problem instantly, not always a practical solution though (I had more than one reason to fence off that section at the time). Keeping your dog inside with you might be an option, at least until you are able to train with that sort of distraction.

You can "shape" your dog to do something more acceptable than whatever it is he is doing now, but you can't just jump straight into a Level 10 distraction and expect results. Doing what I have suggested above is your first step.

Is she being territorial or just interested? What sort of fence have you got?

One of my dogs was notorious for jumping up at the fence to look at the neighbour's dog. I fenced off a separate section of the yard which solved the problem instantly, not always a practical solution though (I had more than one reason to fence off that section at the time). Keeping your dog inside with you might be an option, at least until you are able to train with that sort of distraction.

You can "shape" your dog to do something more acceptable than whatever it is he is doing now, but you can't just jump straight into a Level 10 distraction and expect results. Doing what I have suggested above is your first step.

I think she is just really interested, she is a very happy playful girl :laugh: we have 5ft colourbond fences.

I think she is just really interested, she is a very happy playful girl :laugh: we have 5ft colourbond fences.

Good to hear, and good fencing too!

In that case, just work on being able to work with her with that sort of distraction. When you can get up to Level 10 distractions, you should have no trouble being able to call her away from the fence from inside the house. The novelty will probably wear off a little over time, too. Just check regularly that neither dog is trying to dig under the fence.