Your Very First Obedience Trialling Dog

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I tend to do duration by time as I can't count steps and keep my eye on my dog and where I am going. I think I started with 10 seconds for Beans and Lexi - then jumped to 20 seconds and then back to 15 seconds.

The longest I have ever done is 2 3/4 minutes. After that I got sick of walking :rofl: and I figured they would just keep going and going and going. :D

The idea is that you break their evening dinner into 3 containers and they have to work for each container of food. After being successful 3 times thats it for the night - you don't ask them to do anything else at all - so if you are only heeling for 10 seconds you could be on your way home in less than 2 minutes!

I only ever did duration twice a week and on most occasions it would be once per week. I would work on the other bits on a different night and as Ness said the idea is to keep pushing the dog to work longer and harder.

I use a timer.

I also look for the moment after my dog falls back then forges...perfect time to jackpot :) You have to have faith in your dog to push for their reward.

Man not sure what motivated me to actually doing something tonight but both my first and my second trialling dogs just got training :D . Ness thought she would come to the party after she saw me training Kenzie so she did some dog in the box too :) . Kenzie is feral and I love it :rofl: .