Your Very First Obedience Trialling Dog

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here's a question for you all, more in fun than serious though I think, I've just started obedience & herding trials with Izzi & Pebbles & really enjoying it. This morning I did some heel work with them, then decided to give the old girl a go, she's 12 & hasn't done any for about 10yrs, well her eyes lit up, tail wagged & she worked pretty well :mad. Now for the question, does it sound like a dumb idea putting her in an obedience trial, CCD, she's only ever been a working dog now I've got no work for her, can't use her in herding trials the yards aren't big enough. JC's a very healthy active 12yo :love: , she comes everywhere with me & just sits around at the trials so I thought doing some thing with her might keep her mentally active as well, I wouldn't be expecting perfection just fun, ok oppinions every one :mad .

I think you should give her a go! Keeping it fun will be enjoyable for you both.

With Millie, if I show her the good stuff (ie. dinner) she won't do a damn thing for me.

You must be lumping not rewarding for each required behaviour.

I'm not quite sure what you mean again :)

If you put her food dish down, with a little dinner, do you ask her to heel, then release?

etc etc etc etc.

No to the above. The second she sees the dinner bowl, it's almost too much for her to process anything else but that food bowl. She's a fantastic little worker on minimal treats, as long as I don't work her with dinner bowl in sight as her reward for a job well done. The only thing I make her do now with a dinner bowl as reward are sit stays :bottom: Doesn't sound ideal, but it's ok with me because she works better with minimal stimulus, so I get more out of her training than my other Lab who will only work for food or squeaky toy! It can be a real joy to train a dog who enjoys interacting with you and is motivated just because they want to be there with you, and gets me down when food is the only motivator for the other one!

Edit to add: we have tried doing small portions of heelwork or a recall for her dinner, but anything we do ends up a disaster so is not contributing in a positive manner to her training. So I've decided not to train her when she simply won't give her best. We get much better results doing small bits of heelwork and other exercises outside of meal times with a handul of treats, or sometimes without any (at home for the time being where there are no distractions) and then she gets a jackpot :rofl:

I am confused again. If you reward her with food, is the food on your person....to enable rewarding from the carried available supply? Same as using a bowl?

I am confused again. If you reward her with food, is the food on your person....to enable rewarding from the carried available supply? Same as using a bowl?

Both. Millie is happy to start working without the sight of treats when the distraction level is low. If I'm in a class scenario, treats are in my pocket. If I'm at home, I will sometimes have them on me, but most times, I will not as I am working at getting them off me due to my other one (Ruby) being too dependent on food to work. Millie does some work without the sight of treats and then gets a jackpot for a small bit of heeling. If I do not show her a dinner bowl first, I could use this approach. But for my other girl, she won't do an ounce of work until she sees payment up front, so she gets her dinner bowl placed on the ground and has to heel around it giving me attention and not look at her food bowl to then get rewarded with it. This is the only way I get motivated work out of her as she knows the drill!

The seminar is being run by Sue Hogben and will be covering:

Rock steady stays

Rock steady stand for exams

Heeling - footwork and how to get your dog to work without food or toys being present.

When: Saturday 29th August 12.30-5pm

How Much: $40

There will be a lucky draw on the day for somebody to win back their $40.

Tea/Coffee/cakes/slices available for a gold coin donation.

PM me if you need more details or who to contact.

The seminar is being held to raise money for the National Agility Championships.

Does Sue ever come over to Vic? I'd love to go to one of her sessions. Even though we don't trial, i think it'd be really interesting.

Maybe we should just organise one? :love:

ETA: Espresso Van is my only other requirement. :(

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

The seminar is being run by Sue Hogben and will be covering:

Rock steady stays

Rock steady stand for exams

Heeling - footwork and how to get your dog to work without food or toys being present.

When: Saturday 29th August 12.30-5pm

How Much: $40

There will be a lucky draw on the day for somebody to win back their $40.

Tea/Coffee/cakes/slices available for a gold coin donation.

PM me if you need more details or who to contact.

The seminar is being held to raise money for the National Agility Championships.

Rock steady stand for exams. Yes please :laugh: .