Raw/natural Chitchat

Staranais - can't remember if you've mentioned this before, but what dried do you feed?

Ha, luckily my new addition seems to have a cast iron stomach, so with her I just go for whichever good petshop quality kibble is on special. So far she's eaten RC, Eukanuba, & Nutro, and seemed to like & react to all of them just fine.

From what I can see there's actually not that much difference in ingredients or quality between different kibbles, certainly not enough to account for the price difference between premium and middle-of-the-road kibbles. Even the super duper expensive grain free ones are still full of starches in order to hold the kibble together. Since I'm on a budget, my philosophy is that I'd rather feed her a decent kibble plus raw, than spend that same amount of $ feeding her a premium quality kibble - I think that combination is the best diet I can get on my budget. :confused:

If I had unlimited funds, I'd probably feed something like the Ziwipeak dehydrated for the "kibble" component of her diet, or might just go all raw for her.

I also feed a little "butch blue label" dog roll in the commercial component of her diet, it's locally made, not too expensive, my guys like it, and the ingredients list is impressive.

I'm hopefully getting a free sample of "Ultra" to try this week, it's no more expensive than the RC, the ingredients look reasonably good, and it's made in NZ. Will let you know how I get on!

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Ziwipeak dog food is excellent :rofl: . It's an air dried jerky not a kibble. I feed about half Ziwipeak and half raw.

Hi Tiggy,

Can I ask what quantity it recommends to fee a 10kg dog?? Ta in Advance. Also how big are the pieces out of interest.

I found a way to get the dogs to eat lots of liver tonight :thumbsup:

It's disgusting - but I bought about 440g of chicken livers tonight, chopped them and then barmixed them into a puree :p

I divided them into the dog's bowls (Mish got a bit more than Daisy obviously) and mixed in sardines and yoghurt. They ate it all :cheer:

Hopefully if I do a couple of meals of offal like this a week they will continue to eat it.

I found a way to get the dogs to eat lots of liver tonight :thumbsup:

It's disgusting - but I bought about 440g of chicken livers tonight, chopped them and then barmixed them into a puree :cheer:

I divided them into the dog's bowls (Mish got a bit more than Daisy obviously) and mixed in sardines and yoghurt. They ate it all :hug:

Hopefully if I do a couple of meals of offal like this a week they will continue to eat it.

:):laugh: ;) Yummy !

I was WONDERING what I should make for dinner tonight ?

:D

I had to go to the local market after work as the chicken place there has the cheapest frames. While I was there stocking up on frames, marylands and some chicken kiev for the human family, I noticed a rather nice butchers in the same place.

So we bought our weekly supply of dinner meat there (for us) and I got some raw pigs trotters for the dogs and about 5 kg of raw beef offcuts (all meat, no bone) for just a couple of dollars extra. I am rapt with the quality of the meat and I noticed lots of other cheap goodies there I can get for the dogs. Always exciting to have a new source of raw food. Actually it's kind of sad that I can get so excited about it.......such is the quality of my boring life! LOL!

The dogs got the pigs trotters for dinner. They had an old rug each on the loungeroom floor and they stayed on their rugs while they ate their dinner. And they LOVED them! Definitely on the list for getting again.

Did you know that if you're eating lollies (the jelly teddybear kind) and there's a dog hanging over your arm, and you give the dog a lolly.....it doesn't go away? Just thought I'd throw that in, in case anyone thinking "Oh if I just give her one she'll leave me alone" thinks that really works. Because it definitely doesn't. In fact, I now have two dogs hanging over my arms. Very difficult to type.

My favourite thing is how long it takes them to get through them

Yep, same....it took them a good hour or more to get through most of them, then Benson had a chewed up "knuckle" left over that he kept trying to hide from Dusty. Eventually one of them ate it, cos I didn't find it when I was cleaning the house this morning.

Tonight they are having big chunks of raw beef for their dinner. I am definitely going to patronise that butchers from now on, the meat is so much nicer than the supermarket and there's such a bigger variety...for us and for the dogs.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips on feeding BARF to puppies? Is there anything extra that you add to their food to give more fat for the puppies?

I'm looking after two puppies for the weekend and I was told they stpoped feeding barf because the puppies were eating, but weren't putting on any weight.

Any tips on what I can add to the mixture to help them? I use the canine country barf rolls.. I'm not sure what the owner was using.

ETA: I've only had experience with mature dogs and barf, not puppies. These puppies are 11 weeks old.

Edited by ~Erin~

Lamb flaps are good for putting weight on but do they really want to fatten them up at that age? I'd be inclined to feed BARF but just more than they are currently having. They are probably just growing madly and getting to the leggy stage.

All she said to me when I said I could feed them the food I've got was they were eating it, but weren't putting on weight and seemed to be losing it.

I gave them some of the barf I give my girls and they loved it. But I dont want to give them that all weekend because it will upset their little tummies. I've got some royal canin dry food for them. I'll just feed that I think.