Advice For A Dummy Like Me.

Kirislin

I was talking to a bloke yesterday about photography and mentioned photoshop. He offered to let me download his for free. I dont understand this stuff but isn't that illegal? would photoshop know if I got it like that, dont laugh at me, I just dont want to get sued for stealing.

It depends. If he's a single license, then, yes, it isn't kosher.

But if he has a multi-license and has one that isn't activated, no problemo, I reckon.

One of my copies of some other software was a multi-license thingy and I'm pretty sure Adobe has the same thing.

It depends. If he's a single license, then, yes, it isn't kosher.

But if he has a multi-license and has one that isn't activated, no problemo, I reckon.

One of my copies of some other software was a multi-license thingy and I'm pretty sure Adobe has the same thing.

Is Adobe photoshop? How would I know if he has a multi license?

Guest Tess32
but how come they dont get caught, I am generally a goody two shoes.

Well you just don't register the copy....there is no way for Adobe to tell what someone has on their computer.

Guest Tess32
But the problem is you cannot upgrade - you cannot purchase/install a legit upgrade without a legit copy already.

People just get cracked versions of the newer versions.....same thing really. Most people don't need to update something like photoshop that often anyway.

Up to the person whether they think it's wrong or not, etc, anyway.

Why not just download something like Picasa (free and legal and looks pretty good to me)

and then you don't have to worry about legalities.

http://picasa.google.com.au/

Photoshop is not the only image editing program on the planet.

There is also a cut down/cheaper version of Photoshop called Photoshop Elements.

eta link

Edited by chezzyr

Up to the person whether they think it's wrong or not, etc, anyway.

Actually, it's called stealing. Pretty simple.

It IS up to the individual to decide if it's something they think they are OK with doing or not. Some are, some aren't. Some are for a while and then change their minds and go legit. Some continue to use hacked copies forever. Some find alternative free options. Whatever, each person must decide for themselves as there is no real policing of it and virtually everyone knows someone who has a hacked copy of something and mostly no one thinks people with hacked copies are terrible people :laugh: Except maybe the people who a) own the rights to the software and/or b) slogged their butts off to create the software & who like to see return on their efforts (assuming they kept rights, of course!)

As said above, there's no way to tell if someone is using a hacked copy of software (unless they try to upgrade/register etc) so your images won't have a Scarlet Letter across them!

Picasa

http://picasa.google.com.au/

There is also a cut down/cheaper version of Photoshop called Photoshop Elements.

Elements used to ship with things like scanners and printers and some cameras. If you are thinking of adding any hardware, you might want to look to see if it's included. I *think* you can upgrade from Elements to the full Photoshop sometimes, should you find that Elements isn't enough. But Elements is awesome and works really well for a huge number of people.

There's also GIMP that is free and extremely powerful.

Did you find out if your friend has a multicopy? Or maybe he isn't using it anymore and is transferring it to you? Free is good, really :)