Which Club?

I've decided that feral pointer needs to learn manners. It's been years since I've attempted anything resembling obedience and I know clubs have different strengths and weaknesses.

The two clubs I'm looking at are Southside Dog Obedience Club and Obedience Dog Club of Brisbane. Can anyone fill me in on the pros and cons of these clubs in terms of trainers or methods?

Feral pointer is incredibly willful but essentially a big sack of sookiness. She's essentially a happy and outgoing dog but will sometimes wet herself when corrected (and this is actually a bit of a performance in itself as the tail keeps wagging the whole time... she's a big attention seeker.)

Anyway, thoughts?

I've only trained at Northside clubs, but I know there are a few DOLers who train at Southside. I'm pretty sure they use a combination of methods.

Do you think Kayo Feral :laugh: would benefit from a one on one session with a trainer first? Or is it more the extra mental stimulation you want to give her by going to a club regularly?

mental stimulation. She needs brain activity.

Hopefully she won't be like Daisy who would get bored during particularly lengthy sit/stays, and, knowing she couldn't break them, would bark at me like 'come on already. This is BORING' - you just know that other people are looking and thinking that you own the naughtiest dog in class. Soooooo embarrassing :eek::laugh:

If you don't want to do formal obedience you could always try the Agility Dog Club of Queensland who train at Tivoli on a Sunday afternoon/night.

They have a really good foundation program that focusses on your relationship with your dog and working with them. The corrections they use are not at all harsh with the focus being on positive/fun mehtods.

Just a thought.......

cheers

I've instructed in the past at SDOC and trained there again last year - I've never had an issue with the trainers or their methods. I went to BDOC once when I first moved to Brisbane but didn't like the facilities they had at the time so never trained with them.

Thanks all.

I'm heading along to SDOC on the 31st for their intake and we'll start up on the 3rd of August. I need to work on her brains before I start even thinking about agility. She's only 10 months old so agility is a long way off anyway.

Besides, Monday night training works well for us with work and kids. ;)

I think 10 in accordance with the cccq rules??

I briefly trained and instructed at SDOC when I lived at Wishart. The people are lovely and the instructors were very good too.

I was previously always a Northside person and I am back on the northside again now

Thanks all.

I'm heading along to SDOC on the 31st for their intake and we'll start up on the 3rd of August. I need to work on her brains before I start even thinking about agility. She's only 10 months old so agility is a long way off anyway.

Besides, Monday night training works well for us with work and kids. :provoke:

:D Southside are really good, we trained there for a while, but it jut wasn't for me. (Obedience that is.)

That said for anyone else, don't discount doing your obedience training at a really good agility club IF obedience trialling is not your goal. You still get the control (or at least a relationship that allows you to get the bet from your dog) and learn all the basics like sits and stays etc, you just don't get the nose not coming off your knee etc. For me it's just a lot more fun than paddock bashing and drilling the dogs.