Introducing An Older Puppy To A New Puppy - What Age Is Best?

katemacca

Hi,

I have a 6 month old Westie. He was the shy one of the litter but he has a great personality and is just lovely. (Not too naughty, quiet and loves being with us) We have really enjoyed having him and seeing him thrive!

We are starting to think that it might be a good idea to get him a Westie buddy. I am unsure if I want to get another boy or get a girl. Any suggestions?

Also I am not sure what age would be good to introduce a another puppy?

I know he will look after whoever we bring in, but obviously it will take a little time for him to adjust having another dog in the house.

Also how do you safely bring in another pup, when the older one could bring in the parvo virus (or anything else for that matter), any tips to try on trying to keep the younger pup healthy?

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Hi,

I have a 6 month old Westie. He was the shy one of the litter but he has a great personality and is just lovely. (Not too naughty, quiet and loves being with us) We have really enjoyed having him and seeing him thrive!

We are starting to think that it might be a good idea to get him a Westie buddy. I am unsure if I want to get another boy or get a girl. Any suggestions?

Also I am not sure what age would be good to introduce a another puppy?

I know he will look after whoever we bring in, but obviously it will take a little time for him to adjust having another dog in the house.

Also how do you safely bring in another pup, when the older one could bring in the parvo virus (or anything else for that matter), any tips to try on trying to keep the younger pup healthy?

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

I have replied to you in the Westies thread

I have golden retrievers and Dies was almost 1 when I bought Axle home. Both are boys and Dies is desexed and Ax is entire. Never had a problem with two same sexed dogs. I may have been lucky but I seem to have hit the jackpot with temprement (sp?).

Dies fell for Ax immediately and we haven't had a moment of conflict.

RE Parvo - both dogs we aquired in the midst of "Parvo" season in our area. Dies was fine but when Ax came home we didn't exercise Dies until Ax was fully immunised. We did a lot of training, games and Dies was exercised with puppy play. It was a long wait to get out and about and Dies missed a month of swimming at the beach but catching parvo wasn't worth the risk IMO.

There you go, hope that helps, and goodluck!!

Can't remember which way it goes but say its 2yrs between large breeds & 3 yrs between small breeds or visa versa. I read this in another forum for the time to wait b4 getting another pup.

It's important to let you current puppy have your full attention & have him trained to a level that your happy with. Puppies follow what the older dog does & this includes good & bad habits.

If you bring in a female pup you should get your boy neutered before she reaches sexual maturity. You don't want puppies from a puppy, she needs to have at least 3 heats b4 mating.

When having 2 puppies it's important to train & walk them separately at least 3 times a week so they don't become totally dependant on each other.

When a new puppy has been added to my family there has been a 7.5 yr gap & this has worked well, but in your case I would wait until your pup is 2 y/o b4 adding another.

Longer lived breeds? I think about 6 years apart is good.

Two young dogs means you get two old dogs.. it can be devastating to lose one dog, let alone two in quick succession. :happydance:

I never thought of it in that context. It would be devastating. I know when April passed it was a little easier having Sooty around.

From what I have seen it depends on the dog and the breed. I had two female gsd,s born 6 months apart and they got on fine. They where best mates, when the younger of the two died the other was depressed. I got a 2yo later on but they don't have the same relationship. The 12yo will not play with the younger one much to her regret, understandably.

On the other hand a friend has a 4yo female and a 12 month old male beagle and they are just a source of entertainment for their elderly owner.

I do agree with Luvsdog, the younger dog I have has learnt alot from her older sister.

Hi Katemacca,

I am new to being a responsible dog owner so I hope my experience with our second dog sheds some light, being that I am still learning.

We have a male 1.8 y old Maltese X, Mumble (yes it was named after the character in Happy Feet). Gorgeous dogs who loves being around people. A vocal dog towards other dogs, but in a playful manner. At times, he can show some aggression to high value food eg big bones and some possessiveness . We always had in mind that we would prefer to get a second dog, just so they can keep each other company during the day when we are at work etc, however the instructor at Puppy School advise it would be best to get one when when he was 2 years old - getting out of the puppy stage.

So once Mumble was 1.5 yrs old, we took the plunge and decided to get a second puppy. A friend advised to get a female pup so there would less likely be any dominate issues between the dog and putting into factor our lifestyle and how we are still learning about dogs behavior. I think it was the best advice given. :laugh:

Any how, to cut the story short, we brought home Annie (CKC) at 8 weeks and boy oh boy I was not prepared for the outcome. I knew being how Mumble is, wasn't going to be easy. The first 2 weeks, he was growling at her, foaming in the mouth (due to stress) wanting nothing to do with her. So there was ALOT of one on one time with both dogs. Reassuring that Mumble was still loved etc. I was a bit worried that they would never get along.

After the second week, after a bit of sniffing etc, it was a relief and a proud moment to see them playing with each other. ;) Both in the bow position etc. People had advise that if they snap and growl, it's all apart of teaching them about manners - so when I hear Mumble growl or snap, I'm not too concern that he will bite her.

2 months later to this date, they are getting along better, but they are not snuggling up to each other while they are asleep or awake, but baby steps. There is still a few growls (get out of my face growl), but not as much. Personally for me, I found it struggle having two puppies, just the fact that I had to start the whole training process again and not enough hours in the day. I'm sure I would have been fine if I wasn't working or Mumble didn't react how he did, but when you come home at 6.30pm, cook dinner, clean and clean up her pee, train both dogs etc, it's very exhausting. Not to mention that I had to section the house off, so Mumble was no longer to roam free around the house. I think for awhile I was suffering post puppy natal depression! But looking at them now, I wouldn't have changed a thing :happydance:

About the puppy learning something from the older one, yes.. she's learned how to BARK at birds. hehe Other than that, they are still separated during the days, so she hasn't picked up his habit of peeing outside (80% there). We are still in working progress of combining their play area. But with the theory of the older dog teaching the younger one something, that is why we are taking Mumble to socialization classes again, so she doesn't pick up any of his bad habits.

About parvo - I didn't take Mumble for a walk until she was fully vaccinated. His exercise would be running in the backyard where I know it was safe and clean.

Sorry, I didn't mean to babble on. Just when i saw this thread I was hoping to read people's experiences with introducing a new pup, both positive and negatives.

Hi,

Thanks once agin to all of you for replying and MissLotus for that big reply and great help.

I am very conscious of making sure that Ollie is 'grown up' before we dive into getting another one so he can be a good role model.

Also its hard enough training one let alone two! Its a daily task when young.

He is desexed and we are off to obedience class next week. I am going to discuss it with her also, to see when she would think Ollie would be ready.

He is a really nice natured dog , so I don't think that I would have any trouble with him getting along with anyone but you never know he might get jealous. I really do think he will thrive on having a buddy as he just wants to be everyones friend. (human and dog)

I will let you know how I go! Thanks all so much for the help.

K