Are My Dog's Nails Long Enough To Be Clipped? (pics)

Are my dog's nails long enough to be clipped?

Tilly's front claws seem to be getting quite sharp...from the photos below, do you think they are long enough to be cut?

Just don't want to waste going to the vet if they are still to short to be cut.

(Sorry if this seems a stupid question...my other dog Jessie has never let anybody clip her claws!).

One of her front paws

DSC07482.jpg

Both front paws

DSC07483.jpg

Underneath front paws

DSC07487.jpg

The amount you could take off would be only a couple of millimetres or they'll bleed.

I would leave then, they are fine.

Walk her on the road or concrete to wear them down naturally.

Also if they're cut, they will be even sharper til they wear down.

If you're nervious about clipping you could get some nail files for arylic nails and files your dogs nails, they tend to accept that a bit better as well :(

I usually clip and then file as I have an allergic dog who itches and I don't want him doing it with sharp nails.

Edited by sas

black ones aren't so bad, but you might be able to give the dew claw (thumb) a bit of a trim, as it's a white nail just make sure you cut before the pink bit otherwise it'll bleed

Personally, I think you're far better off taking the tips of reasonably short nails than waiting until they are talons and having to take a lot more off. I would trim them.

Little and often with rewards for compliance is the key to getting your dog to cooperate. Even doing one nail per day is a start. You shouldn't need to go to a vet for what is a very routine part of dog husbandry.

The sooner your start, the more often you do it and the smaller the trims, the better.

Thanks poodlefan, we do have some dog nail clippers here, but they've never been used.

Tilly's nails were short when we got her 9 months ago, so it's taken them a while to grow, even though 99% of the time she is running on grass.

I just don't want to hurt her, that is why I'm willing to get them done at the vets when they need to be done.

Personally, I think you're far better off taking the tips of reasonably short nails than waiting until they are talons and having to take a lot more off. I would trim them.

Little and often with rewards for compliance is the key to getting your dog to cooperate. Even doing one nail per day is a start. You shouldn't need to go to a vet for what is a very routine part of dog husbandry.

The sooner your start, the more often you do it and the smaller the trims, the better.

I agree, I clip my fdog's claws every week or two, only need to clip a little bit off, takes 2 minutes and he is very used to it. I believe regular smaller clippings prevent the quick from growing too long down the nail too.

I agree, I clip my fdog's claws every week or two, only need to clip a little bit off, takes 2 minutes and he is very used to it. I believe regular smaller clippings prevent the quick from growing too long down the nail too.

Agree.

Yes they look a bit long to me, I don't really like nails that protrude past the ends of the pads. As others have said regular trimming every week is a good idea and yes, good quality nail clippers will make it a lot easier.