Food For Puppies

can a young pup handle chicken necks etc?

what would you all suggest to feed a 9 week old rotti pup?????

it has been fed diced liver so far from breeder.

is there any recipes that a high in all the good stuff pup would need

Is that all? :D

Yes, puppies can handle chicken necks. HOwever, a growing pup needs a balanced diet. That means either a good quality kibble (I leave it Rottie folk to recommend a good one) or a carefully researched raw diet, or a mix of both.

I don't get your signature by the way. Pit bulls are renowned for their lack of aggression towards people.

Edited by poodlefan

Is that all? :D

Yes, puppies can handle chicken necks. HOwever, a growing pup needs a balanced diet. That means either a good quality kibble (I leave it Rottie folk to recommend a good one) or a carefully researched raw diet, or a mix of both.

I don't get your signature by the way. Pit bulls are renowned for their lack of aggression towards people.

edit to add i read somewhere about devil balls or something similar name and was wondering if there good and whats in them

i tried to make it more polite it actually a statement i read somewhere but i think the pit bull on the sticker i read was ment to mean a very angry person.

Edited by stef_83

Your rottie pup will need a well thought out mix of meat/bone offal.. or a complete puppy dry food, to ensure it gets the correct amount (and PROPORTION) of calcium and phosphorous to build that heavy skeleton correctly!

Chicken necks are a bit small..try wings and turkey necks too :(

Did the breeder feed ONLY diced liver?

If so, that shows an ignorance of nutritional requirements of a baby puppy :D

have a read

HERE

and

HERE

for some discussion on diet :cool:

I'd personally recommend that you put the puppy on a good quality commercial diet that is formulated for a growing large breed pup, while you do some research about what to feed puppies on a raw diet. Feeding a growing pup right is important - it can lead to all sorts of nasty problems down the track if you don't get the diet right while pup is growing. There's far less room to "experiment" than with an adult dog.

You could supplement the commercial diet with chicken necks or chicken mince, red meat, and a little bit of organs such as liver, until you've done enough research to be confident in making the change over to a fully raw diet (if that's what you want to do). You could feed the pup a couple of meals of commercial, and one meal of raw a day, for example.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with a raw diet when it's fed right (I feed mostly raw myself), but it's important that it is done correctly, especially for a growing large breed pup.

JMO.

First things first - what did your breeder feed? What diet instructions were you provided with?

If you purchased your pup from a responsible breeder, then you would have received a significant amount of information on diet, health care, exercise, etc - including a diet plan on what puppy was being fed and what you should continue feeding, at least in the short term.

I also have a 9 week old Rotty pup, he is currently on Advance Puppy Growth Large Breed - this is specifically designed for large breed puppies to help them grow slowly, which is important for their joint health. He also gets natural yoghurt, chicken necks, small amounts of lambs liver and lambs heart, sardines in oil, and raw meaty bones to chew on.

Whatever you feed, make sure you keep your puppy lean. You have a large, fast growing breed that has the potential for significant joint issues if it is allowed to get too fat. If you purchased your pup from an irresponsible breeder who did not perform the appropriate health testing, then this is doubly important for you because you may have a pup that potentially has a higher risk of developing joint issues due to being bred from untested parents.

I don't feed chicken necks at all. My vet told me that he does many bowel obstruction operations from lodged chicken necks, and he does not recommend feeding them at all.

Really? Raw ones? I'd (genuinely) love to hear the details of how often this has happened compared to how often he sees bowel obstructions from other items.

I don't see a problem with feeding chicken necks to pups, all mine have had them since young with no issues, if you're worried, supervise them while they eat.

Royal Canin does a dry formula for Rotties that you could try if you wanted, Eagle Pack is what we feed here and all our dogs look very healthy.

If the breeder only fed diced liver that's a very poor diet. :)

I don't feed chicken necks at all. My vet told me that he does many bowel obstruction operations from lodged chicken necks, and he does not recommend feeding them at all.

Mm a TV show not long ago (Bondi Vet? I can't remember) showed a very distressed dog gagging and it had something stuck down its throat. They sedated and stuck a camera down there and turns out it was a feral piece of chicken neck, and when they pulled it out it was almost all intact and STANK to the high heavens. It's always possible I guess

I feed Eagle Pack Hollistic Large Puppy and my shepherd has a super shiny soft coat, and looks very healthy in weight and general appearance

sorry ppl havent had chance to get online last few days.

i dont pick up the pup till this week as it still to lil to leave mum.

i spoke to breeder and she said diced liver with vegtables and rice, puppy porridge and dried puppy food soaked in puppy milk (not all in one feed) three times a day.

i have forgotton atm what the breeders prefix is but will ask in the next few days.

i know the father dog was imported from germany.

does anybody know of a good vet for desexing in western melbourne?

sorry ppl havent had chance to get online last few days.

i dont pick up the pup till this week as it still to lil to leave mum.

i spoke to breeder and she said diced liver with vegtables and rice, puppy porridge and dried puppy food soaked in puppy milk (not all in one feed) three times a day.

i have forgotton atm what the breeders prefix is but will ask in the next few days.

i know the father dog was imported from germany.

does anybody know of a good vet for desexing in western melbourne?

Why would a breeder feed such an inadequate diet to a growing pup is beyond my belief.

Think I would be a bit suspicious of this breeder.

JMHO

Just be sure when your pup starts inhaling the necks to put him on something bigger (wings, carcasses, something of the sort)

I took my boy of necks at about 11 weeks old and put him on carcasses