Hydrobath

I have almost saved up enough to get a hydrobath :laugh::o ;)

I've been doing some research and I've decided that I need:

Twin tank

Heated

I was hoping for some advice from people who have hydrobaths or know a bit about them.

I noticed that some are fiberglass and some are not. Is there any real advantage to it being fiberglass?

Some offer an extra gel coating for an extra charge, is it worth it?

Is there anything else I need to consider, or are they all much the same?

Any recommendations of brands?

How exciting!

I just got one from the Barf shop after doing some research on here. I didn't have any problems with the order and have had no problems with the bath. The dogs are not impressed though!

Hi baby dragon. My hydrobath is one of my bestest dog toys. I love it. wouldn't be without it and it was a brilliant investment.

I purchased mine from Melb Dog Centre in Dromana Vic, sorry, no sure where you are from. I believe most companies will freight their baths around Australia.

My bath is fibreglass. It is about 6/7 years old now, and it looks as thoug it is brand new, (mind you I am the type to look after things well).

It has always lived outside, but alongside the wall of my house, and it has moved house once.

I chose to have a single tub and no heater and this is why - twin tubs take allow too small of a reservoir to successfully rinse a large dog, and all my dogs are big. if you have small or medium dogs twin might be fine for you. If I had to refil the rinse tub, I would see little point in having it.

Also the wash tub is smaller as well than having a single, and this means that there is more chance of the water level lowering to the point where the pump is not having water running through it, hence doing damage to the pump. If that does not make sense, I can explain it this way .. while washing your dog, much of the soapy water takes a while to run off the dog and back into the reservoir. the level can become lower more easily if the resrvoir is smaller and has less water capacity. Hope that makes sense.

With the heater, you have to wait around for it to heat the water. sure it foes not take all that long, but once I start the process, I want to get it under way. Also, the heater element can and may breakdown after a time, and then replacement costs. The less things to break, the better in my opinion.

What I finds works best for me is to have an outdoor electric powerpoint put into the outside wall of the house, so power is easy to access. and to have a plumber come and fit hot/cold tap outlet directly above or along side where you intend to put the bath. I then attach one single hose to the tap and have my 2 adjustments to maintain/set water temperature.

So, I have a single reservoir for soapy washing, and then I rinse from warm clean water. I can rinse as long as I need to.

I have a thich hose running from the waste water outlet and into my gutter trap thingy.

I sit my hydro up on 2' pavers, so the waste hose runs between the oaver and the house, o it is flush and sort of concealed. I have then placed rubber mats from bunnings on top of the oavers to protect the underneath of my hydro, and have ever so slightly angled the bath one way to assist with drainage.

Anyway, that is my set up, and I am very happy with it.

You''ll love having one. go for it. ;)

That's my set up anyway.

Thanks guys! dyzney that does make a lot of sense, thank you for explaining all that :laugh:

My dogs are larger dogs so what you've said definitely makes sense.

Not knowing anything about hydrobaths, and only doing research online, I came up with the idea that I want a heated one because I thought it would make it easier. But I never thought of getting a hot water tap put outside, that's a good idea. Or I think I could even just use a bucket and bring warm water outside from an inside tap. It's a bit fiddley but as you said, it's less things to break if it doesn't have a heater. But then I'd have to bring two buckets, one for washing, one for rinsing, and take the dog out of the bath while I change the water, wouldn't I?

I wanted a twin tank because I prefer to rinse the dogs with fresh water than using a leave in shampoo. And with a twin tank I could also use a flea/tick rinse in the rinsing water if needed. But you have solved the issue of being able to rinse the dogs with fresh water by suggesting the hot/cold tap set up :( And I'm not set on using the flea/tick rinse, it was just an idea, and I already use other flea/tick preventatives on them anyway.

What you said about a twin tank running out of water does concern me though. One of my dogs is coated so it takes a bit longer to bath him, and it would be really annoying to run out of water.

You said your bath is still in really good condition, did you get the extra gel coat put on it? That's something I'm trying to debate over too!

Thanks for your help :rofl:

Edited by Baby Dragon

I bought my hydrobath from Melbourne Dog Centre and it's also a single tank model without a heater, probably the same model as dyzney's. I have a hose with a high pressure spray attachment which I attach to the hot and cold taps in my laundry and this runs down to the bath. I fill the tank with warm water and wash the dog. I then rinse the dog with fresh water from the hose and apply conditioner. Depending on which conditioner I'm using for that particular dog I either leave it on or rinse it off with more fresh water. So I have no need for a heater or a twin tank model. I'm also fanatical about thorough rinsing and using the hose and spray attachment ensures that absolutely no shampoo is left in the coat.

The older twin tanks had small reserves, the newer models have a huge rinse tank and can easily rinse off 2 Rotties. I am very particular with rinsing the dogs and have never had a problem with rinsing them off. I bought my bath when I was mobile, heating the tanks up isn't a big deal, by the time you have groomed / clipped the dogs off (coated breeds) the bath is already hot. Even now, I only fill the bath up for the job required, no need to heat up the whole tank for rinsing if I am not going to use it. Since I stopped going mobile and set up in a portable building I still prefer the idea of the bath being heated, I like to move things around now and then, I would not have that flexability if I needed to stay near a hot water service.

But I do agree if you have access to a hot tap then save your money and don't get a heated bath if that is what your after.

Baby Dragon, I have a Liberty Twin Tub Hydrobath from Sommerville in Vic and if I need to replace it one day I will be getting another one from them, it has been fantastic in the 7 + yrs of grooming.

Enjoy searching, there are quite a few companies who make them now. Tell them what you want and see what suits your needs.

Edited by Andisa

I have a single heated one from the Old Conmurra Hydrobaths here. Mine's fibreglass. The only thing I dont like about it is that you lift up the floor to get to the tank underneath. It is a whole lift off panel. I prefer some others I have seen that are hinged and the floor is flat.

What the others have said about the heater is true. I generally just get a 15 litre bucket from the laundry and pour that into the tank. Then top it up with cold water. The tank on mine I think holds about 22 litres. Also where I am now, I can probably run a hot water hose straight to the bath.

I use products in my bath that are designed for hydrobaths that don't necessary require rinsing. Depends on how dirty my dogs are at the time, I can get up to three border collies washed out of one tank.

The other thing I love that I put on my hyrdrobath was a flow limiter for puppies and heads. Just attach it down towards the nozzle.

There are for and against arguments for fibreglass vs plastic. I preferred the fibreglass. I liked the closed in bottom whereas the Barf shop ones are all open at the bottom of the bath.. My hydrobath sits where there be puppies.. and the last thing I want is little teeth chewing things they shouldnt

No Baby Dragon, no extra gel coat. Just standard.

I used to cart buckets of warm water before I got the plumbing done, but I still was happier to do that than wait for the heater to heat the water.

Yes, does sound exactly the same as Mirandas. :(

Andisa, bigger reservoirs is excellent with the twins, and does not surprise me. Designs really needed to improve in that way For all I know the ones at Melb Dog Centre may have bigger reservoirs also.

If I ever need a new one, I will look at Liberty too. Ta for that. They are right near my warehouse. :laugh:

Thanks everyone :happydance2:

Andisa, how may litres do the tanks on the twin tank Liberty hold? Just so I know what to look for if I do get a twin tank :cheer:

Also how long does it take to heat the tanks?

Has the heater function ever broken, and if so after how long?

A lot of the hydrobaths I see online says they are autofill. What exactly is that? Does it mean it fills up with fresh water as I use water? If so, I don't think I need that. But if the hydrobath I choose happens to have it, can I use the bath without using autofill?

Thanks Mystiqview for the info on the Conmurra one :hug: If it can do three BCs then I think it could do two large dogs :cry: and thanks to poodlefan and Miranda for the info too.

Edited by Baby Dragon

Can someone explain to me what is so great about these hydrobaths when you are still having to use the water direct from your house to shower the dogs for rinsing? How are these baths better then just using your own bath/shower in your home?

Becks,

I can keep the hair OUTSIDE the house and not INSIDE!!

They are really much easier than doing it in the shower. I can stay mostly dry. My bath is on a trolley and I can wheel it around to where I want it.

My bath is in the outdoor "sunless' room" adjacent to the laundry. There is a cold tap there which has a hose and I just use that to fill the bath. As for the hot water, the laundry is just there and it is nothing to use one 15 litre bucket to speed up the hot water.

There are some products designed for hydrobaths that don't require rinsing. I will use those for every day washes. For conditioner, I have a spray bottle mixed with conditioner and (they call it) perfume type stuff. After washing and blow drying (have a dog dryer too) the dog, I just spray that over the top of the coat and lightly brush in.

Can someone explain to me what is so great about these hydrobaths when you are still having to use the water direct from your house to shower the dogs for rinsing? How are these baths better then just using your own bath/shower in your home?

One real advantage Becks is that they are raised off the ground to a height that you're not stooping to wash a dog. That's a lot of pressure of people's backs. A lot of people like them because you have shampoo and water mixed in a tank coming out of a shower spray type fitting under pressure - lots of penetration of the coat. No need to prewet, lather up etc.

If I ever got set up to wash dogs outside, I'd just buy a big plastic grooming tub rather than worry about tanks and recycling the water. I don't mind lathering a dog up after wetting it.

Edited by poodlefan

From my experience with hydrobaths I think it is way better to have it connected to dedicated separate hot and cold taps rather than have the hydrobath heat the water.

Plus consideration has to be given to where the waste water is going to drain to. It would be nice to have it permanently set up to drain to an unobtrusive spot.

Also there is the cleaning and disinfecting of the unit which has to be maintained regularly after using it so it doesn't smell.

I bought a very nice hydrobath and then found that it was much easier for me to replace my laundry tub with a larger stainless steel one with a hand held shower fitting - no complicated disinfecting or cleaning required and so much easier than the routine I had to go through to use the hydrobath.

I ended up selling the hydrobath after about 6mths.

My advice would be for you to get the person selling you the hydrobath to take you through exactly what they do to wash a dog so you can see and understand exactly how it is operated. Some of them need a pilots licence to operate them!! :thumbsup:

One reason that I got the heated twin tank was because I couldn't get a plumber to come around and put the hot tap in!!! I had a booster bath initially, which I really liked, and wanted to get the outside hot tap. I was using a hose through into the laundry which was annoying, so I gave up and got the bath.

I can't bath my dog in the bath inside as it is a shower/bath and I couldn't lift the dogs in through the door. Picture me holding a border collie that has planted both front feet either side of the door!!! :(

Mine is autofill. You would just turn off the water to stop it filling. Make sure you turn off the heater too though. No water over the heater buggers it up.

One reason I chose Barf was because of how polite they were and helpful.

If I can an outside tap then I would have got an unheated, single tank. Or just stayed with the booster bath.

The main benefits of a hydrobath are coat penetration & less stooping for the groomer. The booster bath was better for stooping though.

I can't bath my dog in the bath inside as it is a shower/bath and I couldn't lift the dogs in through the door. Picture me holding a border collie that has planted both front feet either side of the door!!! :)

:( at the moment it takes two of us to get our dog into the bath! And that's a major effort!

Edited by Baby Dragon

Andisa, bigger reservoirs is excellent with the twins, and does not surprise me. Designs really needed to improve in that way For all I know the ones at Melb Dog Centre may have bigger reservoirs also.

If I ever need a new one, I will look at Liberty too. Ta for that. They are right near my warehouse. :(

Dyz - MDC make a bath for trailers with a very large rinse tank, it is auto fill but I don't remember much about it, once I checked out the Liberty baths I was pretty much sold on theirs.

Thanks everyone :)

Andisa, how may litres do the tanks on the twin tank Liberty hold? Just so I know what to look for if I do get a twin tank :rofl:

Also how long does it take to heat the tanks?

Has the heater function ever broken, and if so after how long?

A lot of the hydrobaths I see online says they are autofill. What exactly is that? Does it mean it fills up with fresh water as I use water? If so, I don't think I need that. But if the hydrobath I choose happens to have it, can I use the bath without using autofill?

Baby Dragon - my bath has had a pretty hard life, being mobile for the first few years was tough on it but I have not had any problems with it. I should have burnt the heaters out several times by now as I have left them on without water, so perhaps I have just been very lucky. They can be repaired - it is fiddly but repairable. I don't remember how much water it holds, but if I fill it up I can wash/rinse 3 small dogs without having to fill it up again or both my Rotties when I share the wash water but use fresh rinse water. Once you know how much water to use you can be more conservitative with the use of water. It will be warmed up in about 10 - 15 minutes, buy the time you have the dogs ready and make a cup of coffee it should be right to go.

I used to wash my 2 Rotties pups together when they were a reasonable size, I still pop Lizzy (Pug) in with Piper (Rottie) so you should manage 2 average size dogs easily. I often pop 2 dogs (same home) in together, no worries at all and I wash 3 Chi's on a regular basis all together, as long as the room is warm enough and you can dry them off they are fine. If I am washing more than one at a time I have the heater on and will do most of the drying while they are standing in the bath as it is warmer, when almost dry I finish them on the bench separately, or set one of the driers up to the cages with one dog while I dry the other.

I either use the Hydrobath / kennel cleaner when I am giving it a really good clean out including the hoses or spray and wipe in between use. Mine also has an optional extra raised floor for the small dogs, but I don't use it. I don't think you will need to worry about auto fill, it is handy to make sure you never run out of water, but I really don't think you will need it, just keep an eye on the amount of water that your using and you will be fine. Remember your paying to heat the water up, if your keeping more than you need hot then your just wasting money.

Hope that makes some sense, this reply has taken ages as I keep getting getting side tracked.

eta: I only wash dogs together if they come from the same home and do not have any skin conditions, if they do they have separate baths.

Edited by Andisa

Baby Dragon,

I lift the end of my bath after use towards the tank to drain most of the water out of the pump then let it drain. When I wash next time, I let the first bit of water go out onto the grass or somewhere as that can have a bit of a musty odour. Every second or third bath, I will normally refill the tank, put in some disinfectant into the tank and cycle that through the lines and bath.

You do have to make sure that if you do get a heated one that the water always covers the element and you do not forget to turn it off before emptying the tank. It can cause the heater to burn out or damage the side of the tank.

I am not too fussy with my washing and disinfecting I will have to admit. I wash my dogs approximately every two weeks.

I don't wash other people's dogs as a general rule. I may do one occasionally. I have found that once friends/neighbours know you have a bath, they want you to bath their dog for free all the time and then kind of expect it.