Hitting The Ring For The First Time

angelsophie

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Breaking out of my own little world for a minute - awesome result Freckles and Matt!!!!! :) I can't imagine how happy you are with that! I also do love Matt's name.... :laugh:

And Aziah - have you been away yet? I nearly sent you a PM earlier today but thought maybe you were on holidays. :D

Looking forward to Morisset! :eek:

No we leave at the end of February :( PM away!

Aziah I had a panic when I realised I'd forgotten my camera. But figured being so hot you wouldn't come down, don't blame you! Will get some pics at Morisset, have to take some for someone else too.

Excellent ;) thanks heaps!

Hiya im wanting to show a dog.

Im honestly considering show my female with all of her faults in a ribbon parade just to learn

I cant afford right now a very expensive show dog but its all I think about.

Did you show dogs with faults anyone?

Im honestly considering show my female with all of her faults in a ribbon parade just to learn

What kind of dog do you have? Is your breeder happy for you to show her.

As a very wise person told me today - 'There is no such thing as a perfect dog' - every dog is going to have faults, you just have to learn how to show off their good points.

As a very wise person told me today - 'There is no such thing as a perfect dog' - every dog is going to have faults, you just have to learn how to show off their good points.

My dog is a Pomeranian, she has lack of coat, stands low on her pasterns, big ears and her tail doesnt sit against her back like other poms its like a fountain, apparently there are things I can do to improve her look...but im not sure how. she is also to long in the body and weighs a bit to much. She is on a full register.

I dont think the breeder cares, what people do with her dogs.

My dog is a Pomeranian, she has lack of coat, stands low on her pasterns, big ears and her tail doesnt sit against her back like other poms its like a fountain, apparently there are things I can do to improve her look...but im not sure how. she is also to long in the body and weighs a bit to much. She is on a full register.

I would look for a breeder who can mentor you and show you how to show and groom your dog so it looks the best it can. I probably wouldnt show your current dog but if you are that eagar to get in the ring go for it, everyone has to start somewhere!

Edited by sammy_ballerina

Yeah I probably wouldn't show your bitch. If you can take her to some show handling classes so you can learn ring craft. Then save your pennies and find a good breeder to mentor you, show you how to groom etc.

Oh that would be fun, going to show classes, I will ask my friend about it, she is my mentor, but there is a bit of distance traveling between us.

I will also go to the show this feb and view other breeders that are showing...thank you both for the advice :0)

well kiterbum got points and little chester is powering along! Second run out of minor and his winning streak continues!!

woohoo!!!!!

and Toby.......Toby is Toby and got what he wanted from the show kisses off deb and ash, ash's mum, strangers selling raffle tickets! :)

ok, I have a question, whats the best way to learn to stack a squirmy puppy who keeps moving her legs lol. This may be a question for show training but it would be nice to have her remain still for 1/2 a second in the stack position prior to going to training.

ok, I have a question, whats the best way to learn to stack a squirmy puppy who keeps moving her legs lol. This may be a question for show training but it would be nice to have her remain still for 1/2 a second in the stack position prior to going to training.

I started off by stacking on two chairs (ie front feet on one, back feet on the other) and if she moved she learnt there was no where else to go. Luci also worked her magic and its hard to explain but used the chair method too and kind of grabbed her and made her fall (holding her of course) so she learnt that holding a stack was safe etc. You can also try by stacking her back feet on the edge of a table and then they learn if they move off they slip. Never let them fall or hurt themselves, but it teaches them to trust you to do their feet placement etc.

Always start with positioning of the head first, then the front feet, then the back feet, then tail.

Remember she is a baby so short training sessions are the key, only a minute or two.

I started off by stacking on two chairs (ie front feet on one, back feet on the other) and if she moved she learnt there was no where else to go. Luci also worked her magic and its hard to explain but used the chair method too and kind of grabbed her and made her fall (holding her of course) so she learnt that holding a stack was safe etc. You can also try by stacking her back feet on the edge of a table and then they learn if they move off they slip. Never let them fall or hurt themselves, but it teaches them to trust you to do their feet placement etc.

Always start with positioning of the head first, then the front feet, then the back feet, then tail.

Remember she is a baby so short training sessions are the key, only a minute or two.

Cool, thanks poocow, never thought of using two chairs. I'm only doing very short training sessions at the moment. Its mostly come and sit, and the come is more of a game, and no food involved. I'm also trying to incorporate the stand as well, so will ask her to sit (she is very good with hand signals) and then getting her to stand from there... kinda works. Haven't done much woith lead training at all, basically just had her collar on her and attached a light piece of string to it.

our trainer does a similar thing with tabled dogs. Toby was leaning on his stack and same thing dragging them off when they lean. Safely and fully supported every now and then toby tries it on and a quick go and he is upright. I was worried it would scare him off but the table is his absolute favoutrite bit of being in the ring :)

oi steph hows the sunburn!! ouch!

Bec

Hey poocow - that is a great idea with the 2 chairs. I haven't heard of that before.

Thanks Bec, I was very proud of Chester Bear yesterday - especially after I got the awesome photos of him courtesy of poocow! The thing that made me happiest was how relaxed and happy he looks in the photos!

Well done to everyone else who showed well - whether or not it was reflected in points! :)

yeah i'd like to thank poo cow for the pic of kite in the ring also... Would love to post it for all to see but Kite being the flip that she is she does look fairly retarded! Stephs photo skills deserve a big thumbs up thou, like I said you did the best with what you had to work with when it came to Kite give me a few more months of whipping my butt into gear and we might get a few pics of kite that are decent enough to post! :)

oi steph hows the sunburn!! ouch!

I am sooooooo red. I went out and bought more aloe as I really don't want to peel. Had a horrible nights sleep as I can't move without being in agony!

No worries about the pics everyone :)

Thanks Poocow, have just tried the 2 chair trick, so much easier and she is reluctant to move too much.... this is my attempt at stacking, hopefully we will get better (yes my hand under her neck is not very appealing), anyway, introducing,

Sinaway Top Glory

P1311627.jpg