Omg The Hair!

Our SWF is shedding so much hair that it is driving my OH insane.

She sleeps in our bed so that is full of hair and every time you look at her let alone touch her you get covered by white hair.

I have a black moulded plastic brush that gets out oodles of hair but it just doesn’t seem to make a dent in the never ending hair supply.

Aside from brushing her daily and changing the bedding daily (that just aint gonna happen lol) what can I do to help minimise hair loss in the ‘wrong’ places?

She is supposed to have a Cav dad and a Maltese x Pom mum. All breeds which require brushing but is there something else I could be doing?

Would taking her to a professional dog groomer help in any way?

Both kids and OH have either black or navy uniforms and it is such a bad look covered in white dog hair *blerk*

Any help / advice would be appreciated as OH is about to ban Daisy from the bedroom :eek:

A bath and a good blow dry could move a lot of coat.

You'd probably benefit from a trip to a professional groomer who could also advise on correct grooming equipment too.

No reason why she can't sleep in your bedroom but not on the bed is there?

Nekhbet, we noticed some hair loss but nothing too drastic until about a month ago when the hair loss exploded so I would guess seasonally.

I have to trim her foot hair every 3-4 weeks and recently took 1.5 inches off the back of her legs because the hair touched the ground when she squatted to pee :eek:

She also has long tail hair but other than that she has a normal medium length coat everywhere else except her head which is short and smooth.

Should I just book her in to the groomer and/or get a different comb to remove the hair.

How much should I expect to pay (roughly) and what should I ask to be done?

Oooh she loves a good blow dry poodle fan but it is a bit of a game to her that I'm sure a groomer would not appreciate.

She is a bit of a grott so is bathed at least once a month, sometimes once a week!

Although OH started the trend of her sleeping with us I find that now I enjoy it and would prefer her to stay :(

There is a grooming shop in town so will give them a call. If you read a vent from a groomer about a SWF playing funny buggers while being blow dried that will be my dog. :eek:

LOL dogbesotted it feels that way here too with just one dog.

We do have laminate flooring and minimal carpet so easy to vaccuum up but its things like the bean bags in the kids playroom that I find impossible to clean. Would love to invest in some vinyl ones I can just wipe over but the peanut gallery would complain about the comfort level.

Also the fact that Daisy just doesnt 'do' floors when she can sit on anything or anyone else doesn't help.

yup get her professionally done and then ASK the groomer the best way to keep the hair shedding down.

also look into diet, what are you feeding her at the moment? My grandaparents JRT x used to moult all the time it was insane, but taking out a few things lessened it

:( it never ceases to amaze me how much hair a swf can shed at certain times of the year. My auntie doesn't bother storing the vacuum cleaner anymore because it gets used almost daily to suck it all up. I would say a good brush every day with one of those rubber brushes should help pick out the loose hair from the coat.

As the owner of an Aussie , a Papillon and a cat, there always seems to be plenty of hair shedding going on, always makes me wonder if brushing would ever get rid of it all. The best advise I can give is have non carpeted floors and a great vacumn cleaner. I also use a cheap slicker brush on my rugs to help lift more of the dog hair before vacumning.

Invest in a box of cheap rubber gloves they are great for removing the hair from clothing just before leaving the house. other options are wrap some broad gaffa or similar tape around your hand with the sticky side facing out and run it over your cloths or wipe them with a damp cloth. If the dogs is not being shown, I would get rid of as much of the loose hair as possiable by grooming heavily when they are moulting.

Have to admit that when I buy cloths now I often consider wether or not they are hair magnets, unfortunately as I like wearing black and part of my work uniform is navy it sometimes comes down to the type of fabric or resorting to the rubber gloves.

You really do need to go to a professional groomer, I was having hair issues of a different kind so went to a groomer and the problem was my dog's undercoat. Groomer fixed it, I was clueless but I'm not used to woolly coats either.

Small dogs are not expensive to get groomed and you'll be a lot happier I'm sure. Also, with a Pom type coat, I discovered with a previous dog that you do need to brush every day. Groomers are used to dealing with difficult dogs and are set up to cope.

I do adoptions for Doggie Rescue - many people come in wanting the magical non-shedding dog that doesn't require any work or expenditure whatsoever from them! Many people change their mind when I explain the maintenance that's required.

We also get dogs that have never been groomed but our groomer is very experienced and always does a great job.

I think you also need a different brush - I use a wire brush. Check with your groomer.

Edited by dogmad

How old is she? It is the wrong time of year for a major (spring/summer) shed, unless she has reached that stage when she is blowing all that puppy coat. The first is usually the worst.

Other factors can play a role too - is she desexed? Was she done recently? What are you feeding her? How and how often is she being brushed?

I agree, a trip to a pro groomer is probably a good idea.

Regular (correct) brushing along with regular (maybe monthly) trips to the groomer would be a good way to help reduce shedding. Ask your groomers advice.

I have BWF too plus several longhaired cats so know all about the joys of fur in the house! Like Dogbesotted I love my Dyson!

Thanks everyone. Daisy is booked in for the groomer on Thursday, she did say she had noticed a lot of dogs shedding early this winter too. Maybe it's the Melbourne weather!

She is only eight months old so this is her first winter and we didn't know what to expect but will be prepared from now on to follow the advice of the groomer :laugh:

puggy and espinay2 yes she was desexed in her fifth month and is fed Advance puppy and some fresh meat/chicken wings.

Since having leg surgery in her sixth month she is indoors a lot more than she used to be, prefering to laze in the warmth inside and make quick forays outside to potty and have little plays. Before her surgery she used to play and 'sun' herself outside a lot more. I don't know if that would make any difference though.

I honestly don't know what I was thinking when I chose her because I have had a white cat and horses before and swore never again lol

ozjen I understand what you mean about clothing fabrics. My favourite house/cleaning jumper is a navy polar fleece. Total white dog hair magnet. Not a good look when you race to the shops to grab something and forget to change before you leave home!

I will take the rubber glove and gaffa tape advice on board :D

Sounds like ther could be a few trigger factors there which may encourage heavier than normal shedding. Once could be the abnormal weather, another could be (what I presume is) two general anaesthetics in recent months and another could be blowing puppy coat (changing from puppy to 'adult' coat). Either way, hopefully your groomer can help and give you a few tips for keeping things under control. Let us know how it goes!

• 2 weeks later...
I thought that swf's didn't shed hair. :)

:)

Maybe if swf only means purebred poodle or Maltese or shih tzu - most of these crossbreeds popular today shed a bundle and because they have multiple coat types are very hard to groom (gotta love a straight silky single coated Maltese :))

I would recommend regular baths with hair drying, also I would get your own furminator (for long haired dogs) and use it regularly (daily). Another thing to try would be wiping her down with a damp cloth (should pick up any loose hair). I would also invest in a super duper vacuum. But really a dog that sheds = dog hair everywhere.

It's probably a seasonal thing as I believe (might be wrong) Pomeranian's shed their coat seasonally (as would Cav's?).

Makes me glad to have poodles. Only hair is dead hair on the brush or comb or what you clip off :laugh:

A groomer will be able to blast away a lot of hair with their force dryer and advise on the right type of brush and/or comb for your dog's coat.

I'd expect to pay $60+ for wash and clip.

Ask for an estimate over the phone, then ask how much b4 you leave your dog- they often can't tell you realistically until they see the dog.

Good brushes and combs are $20+, but buy a cheap one and they're much harder to use and/or too harsh on your dog.

Unless you brush right down to the skin, there can be lots of hidden knots which the groomer will find and have to deal with.

It can be very time-consuming and they may even suggest clipping your dog quite short, so they don't have to suffer thru getting all those knots out.

Best wishes.