Flyball Turning Board?

i am interested in training my border collie the baiscs of flyball and and for this ive decided i need some form of box. i have realised i cant afford a real one so have decided to make a turning board!

does anybody have one and know of plans?

or is anyone selling one in melbourne victoria at a reasonale price? if so can u PM me :thumbsup:

thanks for any help:)

I am using a piece of conveyer belt rubber the same size, but flat on the ground.

When it comes time to actually using the box I plan to put my piece of rubber matting part way up the box, then extend it further etc etc. I am teaching her to turn the way I would like on the rubber matting, and she will go and pick up a stationary ball from the matting as well.

oh ok im not sure i quite understand? so do you havea turning board or not? i practiced his running and jumping today

but i dont have a board so he just runs up toa stationary balls grabs it and runs back

Our club has two flyball boxes which I will use eventually, but at the moment the ball is placed on the rubber mat (same size as and looks like the matting on the front of the box) and she is ent to the mat. I am teaching her to do the beginnings of the swimmer turn (ie placing front and back feet on the mat, and turning and pushing off from the mat) on the flat so that hopefully when we start to introduce the box she is more likely to know what is required and therefore activate the box. She is to light to activate the box unless she hits it reasonable firmly.

ETA just watched your clip - he is doing really well!!! Lots of drive which is great. I haven't practiced for a while, I think I am trying to train too much and something seems to get forgotten! He looks fantastic

Edited by rommimum

I used a piece of wood about the same size as the front of the box, and stood it up against the fence, with a rubber matt on it, and when I started ball work on it, I got a piece of velcro and attached that to the matt, and the tennis ball sticks to the velcro

:laugh: Excellent!

It makes the transition to the real box really easy too, and they already know where the ball should be

This was pretty early on, no rubber matt, and he was slipping a bit so I added the door matt later,

The pole helps too to get them turning

Shows you can train even in the smallest backyards!

Ohh that looks very good. I don't have a solid fence I could lean it up against, but have lots of trees, maybe could even make a base thingo for it. I have the rubber, could find some marine ply and then some timber - hubby has heaps down the shed he did make timber furniture, and will again when he has the time :thumbsup: I am going making doggy stuff!