Fighting On Me

rexiam

I have 2 puppies that are a day apart.

They are just 15 weeks.

One is a Golden Retriever and the other is a Lab. A bitch and a dog.

On the whole they are good pups. I walk them at least every other day and do other stuff with them if I am not walking.

My problem is if I sit , or even just hanging washing out they will come and try and get on me, sit on my feet and fight , wrestle. I have tried ignoring them, pushing them off each other and giving them a dirty look ...but they are just not stopping.

When Rex and Sam were alive they used to do the same thing and they were 2 and 9. Its like I am having de ja vu when they do it.

Any ideas how I can get them to just come up to me and be calm? Its almost like sibling rilvary, one doesn't want the other near me. Molly is the one who will always be trying to get Chuzzy away...my 8 and 6 year old kids do this too :wave: Any help on them would be a help too :(

Any ideas?

Do you spend one on one time with each puppy?

We have just started this week.

We started "Theory" puppy school last Monday and are taking the dogs on Monday for there first lesson. One of the things we have been told was to do one on one

Edited by rexiam

It's really important you do, they'll begin to respect and bond with you individually.

At the present time they are most likely debating for your attention and typically telling each other off when they both attempt to win your affection.

With one on one, they'll soon learn there's no need to squabble, you give them each their own special time and training.

JMT

It's really important you do, they'll begin to respect and bond with you individually.

At the present time they are most likely debating for your attention and typically telling each other off when they both attempt to win your affection.

With one on one, they'll soon learn there's no need to squabble, you give them each their own special time and training.

JMT

If this happens again before you start your training next week, pop one puppy elsewhere and spend time with one nd swap them over or give one puppy something to chew on (a treat of somesort) in the same room and play a game with the other - essentially teaching them to do seperate things...

Why would they not want to play fight right on top of you? They get to be with you and play at the same time.

Next time they do it ROAR at them.. AGGGGGHHH NOOOOOO - when they stop in shock, smile and say "good puppies". They'll learn fast that you are not a play gym and to mind their manners when they are close to you.

Edited by poodlefan

They'll learn fast that you are not a play gym and to mind their manners when they are close to you.

:wave: I have images of monkeys swinging on vines and nasty big cats chasing tails

Good analogy. Picture a Lion or a Wolf resting with playing cubs .. if it gets to too rough, too close the youngsters get told to keep their distance....loudly.

Edited by poodlefan

One on one makes sense to me Rex. and the roar at them if they dont mind their manners..must tell you though Abbie will still barge in between Fergus and me ...jealous girl she is.... :wave:

Edited by Liebhunde

One on one makes sense to me Rex...must tell you though Abbie will still barge in between Fergus and me ...jealous girl she is.... :wave:

One on one is essential but it won't solve the issues of rough play when there are two of them near you. You need to address both.

Thanks....Yes I need to roar at them. I growl at them, but no roar. Which they don''t listen to.

Let you know of my progress. :)

OH and I took them on a walk tonight. It helps with another pair of hands. :)

Thanks....Yes I need to roar at them. I growl at them, but no roar. Which they don''t listen to.

Let you know of my progress. :(

OH and I took them on a walk tonight. It helps with another pair of hands. :)

Really loud.. show them outrage.. and try not to giggle - ruins it completely. :)

It's also important to walk them separately as well. But being only 15 weeks I wouldn't be walking them too far or for too long. While Tilba was that age we didn't get far because I was stop, starting teaching her not to pull.

Well I have already tried them out together this morning. Sat on the back step with them.

On the whole they were pretty good. If I was really loud Chuzzy my male Lab would stop and sit :rofl:

Thanks for the input, I am already getting better results then before :eek:

Luvsdogs OH came on a walk late yesterday with me. Molly is already alot more confident and not looking for me. :confused:

you're really yelling and they dont listen? oi sounds like you need maybe someone to come and help you and check out whats going on. Its unusual that they completely ignore even such a loud sound.

so is one forcing the other away or are they just playing and bumping into you? I'm a little confused as to what is actually going on.

Nekhbet hopefully I will explain it a little better.

If I sit down anywhere outside, or if I am standing still - like to put the washing on the line. Both Pups will come up to me and one ( mainly Molly the Golden Retreiver ) will want to sit on me and play fight with Chuzzy ( lab ) as if to keep him away. It doesn't matter how much I roar at them or say ahhhhhh in a gruff tone they just ignore me. Its like I have never spoken. If I sit on the step, she is on me playfighting with Chuzzy. If I sit on a chair they are under the chair, between my legs play fighting, wrestling.

Molly is a calmer dog than Chuzzy..

They do get one on one time.

All I want to do is to teach them to be calm around me. I just want to sit out and be able to have a colffee on the back step without them wanting to consume me. Now when they carry on I just get up and walk away from them. Its quite frustrating.

They are 16 weeks on the weekend.

We were meant to do our first lesson of Dog obedience last Monday, but I had a sick child and no one to babysit.

I try to be calm when all this is going on, but end up getting frustrated and cranky ;)

UPDATE: I went out this morning and with lots of ROARING they did settle for about 5 secs, then one would come back to see if they could rev it up again. It was either one at times who would come back.

Now I have a health prob and I literally can not keep roaring like I did this morning. My throat is soooo sore and I am now having probs with vocal cords /speaking

Anything non vocal i can try?

Edited by rexiam