Help Me Get Weight On My Dog

I'd definatley be at least doubling that kibble amount and adding a fatty meat. The amount you quoted wouldn't keep a kelpie in good condition.

And if weight doesn't start to appear once you up the food, as suggested, bloods to eliminate EPI or thyroid.

fifi

edited as you posted at the same time, have you tried adding tinned sardines to a meal ? most dogs will become more appetant at the taste/smell, or some pan juices from meat cooking will often stir them to eat.

Edited by fifi

only pictures i have on hand to try and show. To me she lots a bit skinny, what does everyone else think? My MIL always comments on how skinny she is but she has a very overweight lab.

SUC50659.jpg

SUC50656.jpg

Edited by WildatHeart

I'd definatley be at least doubling that kibble amount and adding a fatty meat. The amount you quoted wouldn't keep a kelpie in good condition.

And if weight doesn't start to appear once you up the food, as suggested, bloods to eliminate EPI or thyroid.

fifi

edited as you posted at the same time, have you tried adding tinned sardines to a meal ? most dogs will become more appetant at the taste/smell, or some pan juices from meat cooking will often stir them to eat.

wont eat them :D

ETA: so if it is epi or throid what does that mean treatment wise? what is EPI? thanks

Edited by WildatHeart

She doesn't look skinny in the pics, she looks quite fit. She may be light in bone or a smaller frame GSD, rather than an underweight one.

EPI = exocrine pancreatic insufficiency, she would be thin with often dry flaky skin or coat, cow pat yellowy poos.

fifi

Edited by fifi

She doesn't look skinny in the pics, she looks quite fit. She may be light in bone or a smaller frame GSD, rather than an underweight one.

EPI = exocrine pancreatic insufficiency, she would be thing with often dry flaky skin or coat, cow pat yellowy poos.

fifi

Thanks fifi, she never has dry flaky skin or coat and her poos are always small or hard. The only time she did have the above (not yelloey poos though) is when she was on supercoat.

W A H - have you tried feeding allowance divided into 3 meals a day? perhaps she has a small stomach, and just cannot fit a lot in at once ?

That's what I have to do with my youngest, very energetic dog. She's happy and healthy but you can see every rib. She only eats as much as she wants to, so small more frequent meals are the only way to keep her looking half-decent. I'm hoping she grows out of it. Vet checks shows nothing wrong and coat etc are fine.

I think your GSD looks fine in the photos, hard to tell from the pics perhaps but she doesn't look too thin to me.

W A H - have you tried feeding allowance divided into 3 meals a day? perhaps she has a small stomach, and just cannot fit a lot in at once ?

yes, ive tried everything, i'll put biscuits out and they will still be there when i get home from work. i tried splitting it up and it didn't make a difference so now i just give it to her everymorning

only pictures i have on hand to try and show. To me she lots a bit skinny, what does everyone else think? My MIL always comments on how skinny she is but she has a very overweight lab.

SUC50659.jpg

SUC50656.jpg

looks more then fine to me, nice and fit. the more weight they run around wit the harder it is on there joints

If you can't get your dog to eat more in volume, you'll need to increase the calorie content of what she will eat.

You could try feeding a higher fat "performance" or "working dog" kibble and fattier meat like lamb.

I can't tell much from a photo about a dog's condition unless its really porky or emaciated. You need to get your hands on the dog.

SUC50659.jpg

SUC50656.jpg

your dog has a nice coat, very shinny. I don't think she looks too thin.

By the way, is it just the photo, or is your dogs nose seriously bent/crooked ??

Not sure if this will help any, but I've also got a dog that doesn't seem all that fussed about eating.

I've recently discovered he loves cooked oats and I think this is helping put weight on him.

You have a very beautiful dog.

No offence to the OP but I have a friend who weighs food and it drives me insane :laugh: I ask her what's so difficult about digging the spoon in and putting what you think into the dish?

BTW - she doesn't look underweight to me in those pics :laugh:

the dog is not underweight ... my Krueger came to me at your bitches weight at he was emaciated BUT twice her size.

Dont worry about her she's fine as she is, if its a cold day or cold where she sleeps give her more warmth.