Ccd Or Cd

Hi all,

I am thinking of doing some obedience trialling and am not sure whether to start with CCD or go straight to Novice. I am unsure if I will be able to keep Bindi heeling off lead without encouragement but I think she will be ok.

I don't know whether to ease into it with CCD. I am a bit concerned by some of the posts I have read here about dogs not being ready for CCD and mucking up other dogs in the group stays. I don't want to wreck her stays because of unstable dogs. I know you can also get unstable dogs in Novice but maybe there are less of them?

I would like to get some personal perspectives on this. There is no real reason for me to do CCD other than easing back into obedience trialling. Maybe I am better off using Novice sweepstakes as my training ground rather than CCD?

If it's your first time trialing I would always do CCD first. Reason I don't necissarily go to title the dog in CCD is coz I can't STAND heeling with a lead :happydance2:

The class is easier and a great way to gain your confidence and your dogs'.

I believe in not entering until you are very confident your dog is 110% ready for the class. I don't think it's fair on others to simply enter 'just to see'.

If you aren't on a pass I generally would pull out from the stays :happydance2:

Thanks leopuppu04. I currently do agility trialling and did obedience trialling 10 years ago. Next time I go to an agility trial where obedience is held as well, I will have a look and see what I think.

Bindi is super stable and very reliable and is only likely to break if another dog crowds her. With the heeling she tends to prefer to walk just behind me rather than at heel but heels beautifully with encouragement (which unfortunately I cannot do in a trial).

She has done dancing and obedience and is always off lead, I am like you and don't like working with a lead (nor does she) :happydance2:.

If I enter a Novice sweepstakes and feel that her heeling is not up to scratch, can I enter Ccd the next time?

With the heeling she tends to prefer to walk just behind me rather than at heel but heels beautifully with encouragement (which unfortunately I cannot do in a trial).

This is a hurdle in your own mind, and can be trained easily if you are patient and have the dog ready.

Start by getting the reward off your body.

Then build the endurance needed in the dogs patience till he is rewarded.

Ultimately the reward comes after the trial is completed,(before the stays) and can be awaiting him outside the ring.

My last two dogs I did CCD with. The first one I didn't end up getting her 3rd leg I went on to novice. My younger one I got all three legs before moving to novice. I gave it a lot of thought and decided that although I was experience the dog wasn't and I decided that CCD was the way to go - even if it was just for one trial.

I have to agree stays at CCD and novice level are a real worry. At any level if my dogs are not on a pass I never do stays with them.

I see that you are in Brisbane - you have the state obedience championships on at Durack in 2 weekends time - it might be worth a visit to sus out the standard and to help you decided CCD or novice.

If you do decide to visit - come and say hello!

What do you mean by if your dogs are not on a pass you don't do stays with them :hug: . Is that in the ring or you don't compete until they have solid stays. Sorry I'm not up with the lingo :cry: .

What do you mean by if your dogs are not on a pass you don't do stays with them :hug: . Is that in the ring or you don't compete until they have solid stays. Sorry I'm not up with the lingo :cry: .

In the competition ring.

So say my dog blew the recall. I would then withdraw from the stays (with permission from the judge) as I don't want to put them into a situation I can't control :)

Levi - there are heaps of things you can do to improve heelwork without using your voice. Sometimes (especially in agility too!) the quieter we are the better the dogs do, because they have the ability and also realise that they have to concentrate and see what we are doing as we may change direction in a split second!