Check Chain Or Halti?

The lady who took our first Obedience class today said she didn't want correction collars on the puppies, check chains and haltis. She said only flat nylon/leather collars or the martingale

This grumpy looking mother and son had a halti on their little black lab puppy which I thought looked very extreme/wrong for a pup. I'm glad they were made to take it off, it was squashing his eye!

Our obedience school wont allow check chains on pups under 5 months old either... if you can conquer the lead pulling now its so much easier than when theyre 32kg and 12 months old :laugh:

Just a reminder in Victoria-Slip Collars ( choker chains), must not be used on puppies under 12 weeks of age, this is stated in the Code of Practice for Dog Training Establishments.

All equipment has the potential of doing some harm if it not used correctly. I would suppose the only piece of equipment that does no harm is still sitting on the shelf in the pet shop. (That way it is not in the hands of inexperienced or in informed handlers).

Slightly off topic but when did anyone last buy dog equipment that you were supplied a detailed drawing and written explanation on how to fit and how to operate this equipment. I see many a product on the shelf with no explanations as to how to fit and how it should be used correctly.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I reinforced the right behaviour with treats, so when the dog caught up to me and was walking on a loose leash beside me I'd say 'yes' and would give them a treat. I would also reinforce them if they stayed walking on a loose leash after a while by saying 'yes' and giving them a treat and verbal praise. You might not get far the first few walking sessions but if you're patient and consistent it works well. Some people train it with a clicker instead of saying yes. I know you feel like an idiot, but if you are consistent with your timing and rewards you should see results - although you might find it helpful to consult a trainer for a one on one session or two so they can show you where you might be going wrong?

I'm training my 8mth old GSD using this method and I couldn't agree more. I constantly watch her for good behaviour ie. click and treat when she looks at me instead of the dog barking along the fenceline. I now find that when she see's a dog waiting for her (within their yard), she will look at me (because "good" things happen when she looks at me :laugh: ). If she starts pulling I might put her in a sit and CALMLY put her through a few excersises (sit, stand, drop in the one position), and when I have her full attention we'll start CALMLY walking again. I would look at it as a 15 minute training session, instead of a 15 minute walk being extended because she's pulling on the lead. Remember she's still only a baby.

By the way Shellectra, after your girls earlier health problems, she's turned out a lovely LH Shepherd :laugh:

This is a good example that Gsdog2 has given us how her GSD girl responds to treat training where my GSD boy didn't at all, same breed entirely different temperament. How I wish that mine did at 8 months of age, but with a hard bloodline police/security dog background compared with pet/show breedings they respond to completely different techniques.

I realise this technique won't work for all dogs. I'd have to say she's probably the softest GSD I've owned, and I'm enjoying her gentle nature :cheer:

Edited by gsdog2

The lady who took our first Obedience class today said she didn't want correction collars on the puppies, check chains and haltis. She said only flat nylon/leather collars or the martingale

This grumpy looking mother and son had a halti on their little black lab puppy which I thought looked very extreme/wrong for a pup. I'm glad they were made to take it off, it was squashing his eye!

Our obedience school wont allow check chains on pups under 5 months old either... if you can conquer the lead pulling now its so much easier than when theyre 32kg and 12 months old :laugh:

Just a reminder in Victoria-Slip Collars ( choker chains), must not be used on puppies under 12 weeks of age, this is stated in the Code of Practice for Dog Training Establishments.

All equipment has the potential of doing some harm if it not used correctly. I would suppose the only piece of equipment that does no harm is still sitting on the shelf in the pet shop. (That way it is not in the hands of inexperienced or in informed handlers).

Slightly off topic but when did anyone last buy dog equipment that you were supplied a detailed drawing and written explanation on how to fit and how to operate this equipment. I see many a product on the shelf with no explanations as to how to fit and how it should be used correctly.

I think the Gentle Leader comes with one of the best instructions I have seen for a piece of equipment.There is a dvd included and written instructions I think

I hate to burst your bubble huski but I've had a prong collar ping open before at completely the wrong time. It is not totally unheard off for the link to reverse off the loop. You have to make sure that the collar is fitted properly and is in the correct position. For back up you can attach to a loose martingale just for safety purposes.

Sorry that is totally off topic as people already said not in any way suggesting/recommending this for the OP, but just be aware it can happen...

Yep, Ive had this happen too when I was using a prong. From then on I used a check chain as well. I had been warned by my trainer about it too.

The irony of the halti being promoted as "positive" is that many dogs find them highly uncomfortable, whether they are pulling or not.

I have yet to see a dog rolling on the ground clawing at its neck trying to get a check chain off.

"He'll get used to it" you'll be told in a cheerful voice by the PP brigade if your dog does this.... what crap. Some dogs are so depressed by the installation of these devices on their faces that they lack the drive to pull.

Positive my @rse.. :laugh:

:thumbsup: Couldn't agree more.

I was pushed into using a head halter at our first obedience class and I will NEVER use one again. I have never seen my dog so uncomfortable, he went from pulling ahead to rolling on the ground pawing at his face refusing to move, alternating with trying to pull himself out of it by jerking his head around. At the time he was 4 months old.

I was also told 'Oh, he'll get used to it.' He didn't, it made him miserable.

I was also given no proper instruction on how to use it either, nor on how dangerous they can be which I feel to be very wrong.

I ended up buying one of these collars from K9 Force which has been fantastic (and very reasonably priced too :) ):

http://www.k9force.net/index.html?row2col2=mart.html

Huski if you have a look at leerburg.com there is a vid of him showing how flimsy some prongs can be. He corrects the dog and instead of a correction it opens and flies off the dog at him!

You know .. you use what is right for the dog ... I havnt read this thread but for most GSDs a dominant dog collar is a GREAT correcting tool I wish we had more in Aus.