Blood In Stools.

Hi, I was wondering if somebody could please tell me what would cause a regular occurrence of blood in a dogs stool? Just a very small amount, but nearly every day, and almost always sloppy.

The dog is young, healthy, wormed and fed a preservative free diet and doesn't show any signs of being sick. Could it be a stress thing? Anal glands maybe? Or does it have the potential to be something more sinister?

Edited by disorder

Not sure where you hail from, but if you have had lots of rain in the last few months and been anywhere to frequently used doggy areas (dog parks, dog shows etc). my first suspicion would be hookworm. You say you regularly worm your dog, but have you wormed within the last 3 weeks? If not I would first worm your dog for hookworm. If the bleeding did not dissipate after that then I would consider the possibility of a number of things - colitis, giardia, coccidiosis etc. If your dog's droppings are sloppy any of the above could be possible.

Ahhh thanks for that. :hug:

It's actually a dog at my work, and when I said he was wormed- I only gave him worming tablets 2 days ago. How long do worming tablets generally take to kick in? There was no change today.

Depends on what you gave the dog. As long as it was ALL wormer it should be straight away.

Also will depend if the dog got the correct dose.. Some times it can be hard to judge a dogs weight.

The dose should always rounded up to the highest dose not the lowest.

G,day

We had this issue a while back took a stool sample to the vet and it turned out it was a upset tummy,she was given a shot of antibiotics and put on a blan rice and chicken diet for 4 days till her stools returned to normal then gradually had to re introduce her normal diet.There was no explanation as to how this happened and being a pup oviously she found something good to chew on and her digestive tract didnt like it.

Before to long she was back to herself and no set backs.

Thanks Tess and Matt

It can be nothing serious, but it can also be the first and only pre-crisis sign of a disorder that causes internal bleeding like Immune Mediated Haemolytic Anemia - I don't want to worry you as it probably is nothing serious, but it can be. Speaking from personal experience.

I wouldn't be mucking around. The owner needs to collect a poop sample, take it and the dog to the Vet's and get the Vet to send the sample of for a faecal analysis and faecel float.

It may be something easy to fix or it may be something complex.