Best Scissors For Field Spaniel

Hello good people of DOL!

Just want some recommendations on scissor brands and what length would be suitable for grooming a Field Spaniel.

Need to purchase - straight, curved and one-sided thinning :thumbsup:

Cheers!

Hello good people of DOL!

Just want some recommendations on scissor brands and what length would be suitable for grooming a Field Spaniel.

Need to purchase - straight, curved and one-sided thinning :thumbsup:

Cheers!

I use Jaguar, Roseline thinning and Wahl and like them all. :thumbsup: Sorry, I have no idea what length you would need for a Field Spaniel though.

I have setters and have 1 x Roseline 8" straights, 1 x Roseline 8" thinning shears and 1 x Jaguar Satin 6" thinning shears. I would think that 6" scissors would be the best size for a Field.

Settrlvr would be the best person to advise you :thumbsup:

When you purchase the scissors ask if you can hold them, they should feel comfortable in your hands and be nice and smooth when you open and close them. Whatever you do don't buy a cheap brand, good grooming equipment is easy to use, does a far better job and will last a very long time. You will be amazed at the difference in 'feel' between cheap and good quality scissors.

Edited by Miranda

Yeah I didn't want to buy something cheap - happy to spend the money for a quality product.

Hi poocow,

Try Challenge Dog supplies in Pittwater Road, Brookvale. They have huge variety and very reasonably priced. :eek:

Yeah I didn't want to buy something cheap - happy to spend the money for a quality product.

Hi poocow,

Try Challenge Dog supplies in Pittwater Road, Brookvale. They have huge variety and very reasonably priced. :eek:

Are they open on the weekend?

Like miranda has said handling them before buying really is a great move.Some of the bent shanks & bigger size are getting heavy or arent comfy & the prices for some are :eek:

I use Wahl thinners 6.5

small for feet either roseline or wahl.

bent shanks we have a variety of curved & straight in varying lengths.The main ones i use are Geib gators which we have had for nearly 20 yrs.They are well serviced & never give up.

Then i would suggest a slick n easy block

Definitely try before you buy!

My favourite set of thinners are an antique set of single-sided Solingen which were given to me by the breeder of my first American Cocker champion 22 years ago. She had had them for a number of years herself. They've always been treated with care, sharpened by qualified people and still hold an edge better than most other sets of scissors I've ever owned.

My other set of thinners are a skiptooth pair made in the USA by Talyn. Fabulous things they are. Take some getting used to but leave a lovely natural line.

Straight shears are Doggystylz and curved are Jaguar.

I don't have any particular recommendations for length, a lot depends upon how you use the scissors and what your scissoring technique is as to what length shear will do the right job for you. Too long or short and the balance is altered so the effect is different.

Keep an eye on the weight too. Some scissors can be very helpful and this can cause groomer fatigue.

Go for a known brand such as Jaguar, Roseline, Mars etc as you know the quality is there. There are a lot of scissors that are made in Pakistan that cost the seller $10 and come in a fancy box and are sold for in excess of $100. Don't go on appearance as most of them look great.