Leash Length/type

It really depends on the size of the dog. We have big dogs so I use these leads. Super strong and brilliant quality.

We have similar leads in leather but I find the leather can be a little slippery in wet weather and need a fair bit of care - where as these other leads can be chucked in the washing machine and really last.

Edited by Tilly

I plait leather and make my own. They are reasonable thickness. Not quite as thin as favoured in showing.

I have medium sized dogs and my leads are about 95cm.. (5cm more than the minimum length allowed to stop any quibbering on too short in length). I am not all that tall (5'3) so I find the length still a little long.

Because the rules said so, I got used to a six foot leash. Mine are leather and the weight depended on the breed of dog I was trialling. For my smaller dogs, I used 1/2" wide leather. For the larger dogs I went up to 5/8".

I show on either braided leather or nylon for my own breeds and use my 5/8" leather for the new Shepherd baby.

In group stays, if I notice someone else has a similiar lead to mine, I always loosely knot mine when I hand it over, so it is easy to identify. Once I ended up with a crappy lead with a faulty clip because the wrong one was handed back to me, in the days when nearly everyone used black webbing leads

I have a black leather lead that I've brought from Southern Obedience Dog Club and it's great as it's very light and meets all my expectation to train my dog! Oh did I mention black! :eek: As my GSP is black and white so it's a must! (It would look so odd to use a brown one on a black and white dog lol!)