Aborting Pups

Kyra

The only bitch I have had that had pyometra had got it after having 3 litters. Admittably it was a couple of years after her last litter. I don't know if the chance of getting it is the same if they have had a litter or more than if they have never been bred from.

i think that with bitches they can have more problems if the keep going into heat but are never bred. i can't remember what the condition is called though, sorry.

i don't think males have the same issue.

Thanks. I relate the word "entire" to reference male dogs and the word "intact" to reference the females. Maybe that's just me. But anyway, I assumed Tyra20007 was making reference to male dogs. That Tyra might have meant females didn't enter my mind.

i think that with bitches they can have more problems if the keep going into heat but are never bred. i can't remember what the condition is called though, sorry.

i don't think males have the same issue.

Thanks. I relate the word "entire" to reference male dogs and the word "intact" to reference the females. Maybe that's just me. But anyway, I assumed Tyra20007 was making reference to male dogs. That Tyra might have meant females didn't enter my mind.

I have been told by my vet and another that females who are entire (thank you Erny - never been good with terminology LOL) can suffer from pyometra & also mammory cancer if not bred at all and not desexed or if bred and not eventually desexed. And that males have a much greater chance of Prostate cancers and other problems if let entire for too long even if used regularly for stud that as they mature they are more at risk of having prostate issues and cancer.

So to me keeping an entire/intact animal as a pet with no ideas of breeding is cruel to the animal in the end - not to mention that 'most' entire males will have some aggression issues.

For someone who "doesn't want more pups in the world" one would think she would have had her dog desexed at 6 months old! That is surely not responsible dog ownership!

this annoys me, many many people can have entire animals and not have puppies, i know many entire bitches and dogs who have fantastic owners and have never had a puppy. My dog was 3 when desexed and i never had a problem with him and he was only desexed for health reasons otherwise he wouldnt have been done!

I agree with the rest, vet trip, it could be puppies, it could be something else!

I myself have 2 Dobermanns that are entire - but they are both Australian Champion Show Dogs and will be bred from and used for stud.

If a dog is just a pet and is not a pedigree purebred dog then it should not be kept entire for any longer than 6 months or you will be asking for the problems you friend is now facing. There are enough backyard breeders out there breeding yet more mutts that are not of high quality or are in the puppy mill "designer dog" fad that abounds at the moment. Responsible dog owners do desex their dogs so that they are more social and make better pets.

Get over your annoyance - because nothing annoys me more than fools who own entire male mutts that make excuses for their dogs aggression (or use the dog to compensate for their own small appendages LOL) or who have bitches that end up pregnant to an unknown male and therefore put the bitch in jeopardy as they have no idea what will happen when they are whelped. Breeding a dog is something that only good breeders should persue - BYB annoy the hell out of me as they do not care about health testing or genetics nor the fact that finding worthy homes for puppies is no easy task.

Also keeping dogs entire and not breeding them can cause many health issues in the future and is not recommended by vets.

cool, thanks :) I get it! Only people with Australian Champion Show Dogs are responsible enough to stop unwanted pregnancies!

Oh and i also know many many dogs who are dog aggressive, and who have been desexed (including my bitch). 99% of the people I meet with entire dogs understand their needs and do all they can to keep them safe.

No need to lecture me breeding, i have worked in rescue, i am friends with a few breeders, i know what can go wrong, that is why when i get my next male and he isnt desexed, he will be kept in a run when i am not home. Australian Champion Show Dog or not.

And i thought the idea of this thread was to find out how to abort the puppies, good on the owner for doing something about the problem.