Lr - Tricksy Little Tidbit

kja

OK, I admit, I only use the features I need and there is SO much more to all of the software I use that I am really a total newb when it comes to getting the best out of it. The other week I noticed something funky was happening to my photos when I imported them - they'd show up in the preview and then BANG change dramatically. I still don't really know why it changed, but I think I now know what's happening. For some reason Lightroom is applying ACR 4.4 at import.

What the heck is ACR 4.4 you ask? All I know is that a software program has to have some sort of a baseline for displaying photos (calibration). ACR 4.4 is one of those preset standards that Lightroom can use.

Lightroom will actually let you tailor this baseline for each camera you use in its Camera Calibration menu (very bottom in the Develop module) or you can use the default (what I have always done and is now ACR 4.4 on my system) or you can choose one of the preset options. Setting up a separate calibration for each of my cameras always seemed too complex and time consuming to me so I've never bothered and not had any trouble. Even this recent "switching" isn't really a problem, just annoying sometimes. In fact, I'd never even bothered to look through this menu before this past weekend!

But when I did, it was pretty cool.

So, here's an image SOOC and run through Lightroom with each of its preset Calibration choices. Some have dramatic differences, some are more subtle. I can see uses for virtually all of them in the variety of things I shoot.

calibrate1.jpg

So, what does this mean to you? I have no idea :thumbsup: But it can be a super quick way to tweak a photo without having to do much more to it or it can land you in the ballpark faster, making your processing even faster for some images. It's just another tool and one that I overlooked for a long long time.

I noticed that too kja, but being nowhere near as nerdy as you I just accepted it :thumbsup: Thanks for explaining it :thumbsup:

LOL I'm guessing it happened during one of Adobe's stupid updates that I didn't stop in time :laugh:

How scary is it that I am the LEAST nerdy of all of my friends (by miles!) LOL :thumbsup:

Oooo, extra tips from a friend who just passed them on to me...

1) these calibrations can be very useful in toning down the tacky orangey make-up that some insist on wearing :thumbsup:

2) they can also be helpful when removing the nasties when you shoot high ISO and kind of fuff the exposure (use the green sliders in calibration).

Haven't tried them myself, but good to have more options in the arsenal!