Immune Mediated Hemolytic Anemia In Cats (imha)

This morning Fortuna's blood count had dropped further and her only option was a blood transfusion. I had a long talk with the vet, and with Trish, but I decided that I would ask the vet to have Fortuna PTS. This was not on the grounds of cost, but because she was declining and hadn't stablised, so that putting her through a blood transfusion might be just prolonging the inevitable and stressing an already sick cat.

I went down to the vet clinic to be with her when she was euthanized, but she died ten minutes before I got there. :thumbsup: It was a gentle gift from her, because at least I could be sure I'd made the right decision.

She wasn't with me for very long, but Fortuna was a lovely cat. She was a shoulder cat, so when I was in her room cleaning her litter trays she'd be draped over my shoulders purring in my ear. She loved climbing trees, so when I let her play outside more often than not she'd be up one of the big pine trees keeping an eye on things. She was a gentle girl who happily curled up with any foster kittens for a nap.

I'm just sorry she didn't have the chance to find her own home.

Thank you to everyone who replied. I suppose at the least I've learned another thing about cats.

... apparently it occurs more often in dogs than cats, so I thought that someone here might have had some experience.

One of my foster cats was speyed last Monday, she seemed to be OK, a little quiet, but normal. Late Saturday night she suddenly seemed really flat, white gums, uncomfortable, vomiting a bit. I suspected an infected from the speying, kept her comfortable overnight and off to the vet Sunday morning.

Her red blood cell count is a third of what it should be, and this is the condition they suspect. I've never even heard of it and I'm a bit shocked. I'm not sure what will happen - if she's not likely to recover without extensive treatment she'll probably be PTS because we don't really have the funds to cover last-ditch treatment. I'm happy to do any nursing that is required, but I have no idea of the prognosis, from what I've read on the web the outlooks seems poor.

She's a really lovely cat, incredibly affectionate and seemed, before this, to be pretty healthy.

Has anyone dealt with the condition, in cats or dogs?

Edited by Aphra

IMHA without an identifiable cause can have a poor prognosis, however in cats there is the possibility of it being an infectious cause (Haemobartonella). It's still a serious disease but it is treatable with antibiotics (and steroids).

Edit: Sorry for very short reply, am at work. If you PM me I can respond in more detail tonight.

Edited by Rappie

I read quite a bit about it in horses when Kallie RBC count kept creeping south. The vet said this was not her issue though.

There was a really good article in the April (?) issue of Eques - I can try scan it for you??? I know horses are not the same as cats but still might give you some background

Thanks Rappie and Winterpaws. Will send you an email Rappie, and I'd appreciate the info Winterpaws when you've got time.

The vets are treating her with steroids, I don't know about antibiotics, I'll know more this afternoon.

This little girl has already escaped death twice, it seems so sad that at the point where she would be able to find a loving home she should get so sick.

Unfortunately my experience of it was not good. Angs had IMPA (Polyarthritis) which was being treated and when we backed off the cortisone to treat pancreatitis, it appears that the drugs had been holding IMHA at bay. I said goodbye to Angs that day.

From memory Fiery Di (who's name is now *Di I think - Ashanali will know) dog Ruby had IMHA.

Do unfortunately know about it a lovely ragdoll queen, mother to one of my cats, that belonged to a friend lost her life to it. Cause was put down as a raw additive that contained garlic (still available unfortunately) she came good after a transfusion but collapsed and died a few short months later. Haemobartonella was ruled out in her case. Hope you have better luck with your foster.

Jo