Another Help Me Choose Thread

Ruffles

Hi Guys,

I want a DSLR. I currently have a Pentax Megazoom and whilst its good I'm not 100% happy with it.

I like to take photos of everything, animals, people, landscapes.. everything. I dont care about weight or size but I like to learn how to do new and cool stuff so a fiddly camera doesnt worry me!

So, what would you recommend and why? I dont really have a budget because I'll just save up if till I can afford to buy whatever :p

Hi, I bet you get a wide variety of responses in this thread, I guess cameras are a bit like dogs everyone has thier favorite. I think if you go with Nikon or Canon you cant go wrong, both front runners in DSLRs. I have the D80 Nikon and I love it it is my first slr and it is not to hard to use, its fast, its precise and the pictures are awesome!! I cant really compare it to anything else as it is my first DSLR.

Have you had a look at the site Dpreview it is really good and gives great comparisons on different cameras. Good luck with your search!!

• 4 weeks later...
Have you had a look at the site Dpreview it is really good and gives great comparisons on different cameras. Good luck with your search!!

I'd go into a camera shop and hand hold a variety of bodies until you find the ones that feel the most comfortable to you, be it Sony, Nikon, Canon etc. You can go anywhere from the D90 to the D300, and the 350D etc etc.... bodies are all over the shop now.

However, for the type of photos you have listed, the important thing will be the lenses, so I'd concentrate on those more than the body. As I suggest, get the body that fits your comfort zone first, then read the reviews on those, then save up more and by the better lenses.

For the sports / dog type shots, you'll need a fast lens... I just got the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 HSM for my camera, and those shots that I couldnt get with the kit 55-200 are now focused and sharp! This lens will also do great for some portrait work.

For landscape you are looking at wider lenses, but as you'll have time to setup the shot, you can get away with a slower lens, and a tripod, so the kit lens can suffice here.

For people, you'll also need a good f2.8 lens which is either 17-50 or 28-70 for the zoom.

Most people here will also recommend the 50mm in the f1.8 or f1.4 format for good pictures whilst under low light, but as a prime, there is no light.

Good luck with the hunt, and welcome to the very complex world of dSLR.

Andrew