Stay/wait In Obedience Training

So iv just moved up to level 2 Obedience and had a change in instructor, the new instructor has told me iv got wait and stay mixed up. I use wait for sit/stand/drop there untill i call you, and stay for dont move untill i come back to you.

So what do you use and why?

What is the best for competition?

thanks in advance

Sera

I use them the same as everyone else here - wait for don't move until I say, stay means stay until I come back for you.

Agree with TSD - it's up to you what you use, and if that's what you have in your head I wouldn't be changing it unless there is a good reason for it. You'll only confuse yourself and your dog.

I decided that while it is a work in progress I use wait for everything (my thinking is that if they break it doesn't really matter in this learning phase as I will be changing the cue anyway).

Once they have a solid WAIT, the plan was to change the cue to STAY for everything.

Umm but it never happened :rofl: to this day I still use WAIT ;) for everything.

I don't use a stay or wait command with my youngster. At the moment I am busy proofing her sit, drop and stand stays and the only word I use is the command of sit/drop or stand whichever. Interesting I attempted a position in motion drop with her one night on a bit of a whim and because she knows drop means drop unless given another command which may be verbal or signal then she had no problems staying down while I jumped around the place and continued heeling.

I will occasionally use an informal wait when I don't want them to follow me out the door or to wait on the step while I back the car out but I am pretty sure I won't use a stay or wait command with the youngster.

My older girl has a wait which means I will call you or ask you to do something else whereas stay means I will return and release you.

I'm the same as Ness. I don't use a stay command. I've had a few comments from instructors at the club that I should use one but she's pretty solid most of the time but still working on distractions like balls! I use wait as an informal command to stop her if we're walking or jumping out of the car but I don't use it in formal obedience.

Guest Clover

Like other DOLers stay means stay until i return to you, wait means wait until i give the next comand/ release you ;).

We use the stay and wait in our Obedience at Southern Obedience.

The stay command is used when the dog must be in one position for a period of time without moving and you will eventually return to your dog.

The wait command is used in situation where they have to stay in a spot until called or been asked to do something like in recall and possibly to fetch things.

I use the wait command to tell my dog to wait before they can eat their dinner, and its handy so they don't end up knocking the bowl all over the place.

I honestly find it handy to use both of these command as the dog will know what to expect in a situation/exercise.

Hope it helps!

Edited by Tambaqui

Guest rhapsodical78

It doesn't really matter which activity you use which command for as long as you're consistent.

For the record, I use 'stay' in both situations and it works just as well.

I use nothing or sometimes wait, I expect my dogs to hold position until the next signal from me. My dogs have crap stays though so don't listen to me.

I have trained the other way with Stay and Wait and my dog was still woeful on stay, I think because I make it so rewarding to come to me, my dogs obviously know. :thumbsup:

I should say only one of my dogs has crap stays and she is very weak nerved so I cut her way too much slack.

I hate stays more than she does though so that does not help. :thumbsup: When I really need her to stay I will fix our problem.

ETA for Ness, I have a solid stay at home, but put her with strange dogs and\or strange people and we have no stay or not a reliable one. I am so happy with all her other work that I realise I am to leniant on stays, plus they are so boring to train and my dogs know my feelings, I am trying to be 'stay' tougher. :rofl:

Edited by PAX

Thanks for the advice guys i think i will stick with what we are doing. so far his stays are going well he is doing a minute sit and about 30 odd second drop (he dosnt like drop at the moment cause his belly gets wet :thumbsup: )