Help - Lh Chihuahua Losing His Hair

kiwikitten

Hi

I have a 15 month old male long haired chihuahua. I have noticed that he seems to be losing his long hair. His tail has thinned out substantially, his "long pants" (hair at the back of his legs and bum) has almost disappeared, and he is thinning out along the side of his chest to the point that I can see his skin if I ruffle his fur. The rest of his coat (the shorter parts) seem fine. Is this normal? Is he losing a "puppy" coat or something? Will it grow back? Is it a vitamin deficiency or something?

Thanks

Karyn

what colour is he? I have heard that coat - thinning is common with blues (greys/silvers) and so they are often sold off as pets rather than for show.

Try asking on the chihuahua thread in the general forum - breed specific threads. There are some chi breeders on there.

Edited by Ginger's mum

It could be a normal moult, or could be a skin or endocrine problem. Is there new hair growing back where he is losing it? Does the skin look normal? Is he scratching?

If no hair is regrowing, it may be worth a trip to the vet.

It could be a normal moult, or could be a skin or endocrine problem. Is there new hair growing back where he is losing it? Does the skin look normal? Is he scratching?

If no hair is regrowing, it may be worth a trip to the vet.

His coat in general looks healthy, and his skin is fine. He occassionally chews on his tail, but doesnt obsessively lick or chew or scratch himself. Its as if a 4" top coat is all falling out, but a 2" shorter undercoat remains. So he still has a lot of hair around his backside, its just half as long as the hair that used to be there. But his tail is still quite thin.

I have changed his diet recently - from Eukanuba puppy to adult, plus he's been eating Hills for the last week. Could it be an allergy?