Question About Hills J/d

Hi, Following Daisy's surgery we have to put her on Hills Joint Diet or a powder supplement.

I think feeding Hills J/D might be the easiest and most effective method (although the added cost may change my mind towards powder supplement lol) but was wondering how big the food pieces were.

Daisy is a little dog still (4.7kg at 7 months) and usually eats Advance Small puppy food which has nice size pieces of kibble for her.

Will the Hills J/Dkibble pieces be too big for her?

I told you it was a bit of a silly question so thanks if anyone here can help.

:laugh:

goodluck i hope she eats it.Most dogs hate the HIlls vet range.

Does she have to be on it or is that what the vet suggested??

Personally unless the reason for feeding Hills is a must i would be looking at a more palatable diet that suits her situation & add the powder

She had surgery on her front legs and the vet recommends either the food or powder supplement to help ease any stress her elbow joints may be under so I think she needs it.

What can I put the powder on/in to get her to eat it?

I would be happy to continue feeding Advance but wasnt really sure how to deliver the powder because she eats the dry kibble, chicken wings and meaty beef bones. None of which would be good to use with the powder.

Get her onto a good diet of raw meaty bones for her joints. Much better then any dried food for her joints and bones.

BARF for Beginnners

Poppy who had similar but more complicated surgery as Daisy is fed BARF. She is on a course of carthrophen injections every 6 months and has Sasha's Blend on her food every day.

What can I put the powder on/in to get her to eat it?

I would be happy to continue feeding Advance but wasnt really sure how to deliver the powder because she eats the dry kibble, chicken wings and meaty beef bones. None of which would be good to use with the powder.

Get rid of the beef bones as they would be to hard for her to chew. Not only will they ruin her teeth she would only be consuming the meat off them and not the whole bone which is not what raw meaty bones are about. Try softer non weight bearing lamb bones.

My older boy also gets Sasha's Blend. I have no problems with both Poppy & Winston consuming it if sprinkled on chopped chicken necks, sardines, offal, veggies slops etc.

You could add some water to the dried food and the powder would be consumed when the water was.

Edited by puggy_puggy

J/d is quite large kibble and I didnt think it was made for puppies as it has no more then 20% protein.

and you're paying for this

Ground Whole Grain Corn, Chicken By-Product Meal, Flaxseed, Soybean Mill Run, Brewers Rice, Soybean Meal, Pork Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Chicken Liver Flavor, Powdered Cellulose, Fish Oil, Potassium Chloride, L-Lysine, Calcium Carbonate, Choline Chloride, Iodized Salt, DL-Methionine, Vitamin E Supplement, vitamins (L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), L-Threonine, Taurine, Soy Lecithin, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), L-Tryptophan, L-Carnitine, preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid, Chondroitin Sulfate, Beta-Carotene, Rosemary Extract.

get yourself a good supplement for dogs, there is Sashas Blend, sea flex, etc and add that too the food. Take away any foods that you know irritate your dogs system and add more raw as has been said.

I will look further into the BARF idea but meanwhile will replace the beef bones with lamb ones.

If I rock up to the butcher and ask for non weight bearing lamb bones will he look at me like I'm insane or will he know what I need lol? What exactly are non weight bearing lamb bones?

Also will Sashas Blend do the same thing as Joint Guard?

ask for lamb flaps, necks, ribs for her to chew. If she's doing alright on the Advanced stick to it as her main component

yes they do the same thing, some dogs to better on one then the other though, I have heard joint guard has more success :laugh:

Also will Sashas Blend do the same thing as Joint Guard?

Yes, I have used Sashas Blend for many years with my girl and think it has helped her through 2 leg operations. I have also used Joint Guard, but just didn't feel it was as effective and I don't think Chloe liked the bland powdery taste, where as Sashas Blend is fishy and more palatable.

To get Chloe to eat her powder with her dry food, I would moisten the dry food with a small amount of water (not so that it's soggy, just damp on the outside so the powder clings) and make a kind of sauce so she gobbled it with the dry food.

I don't see why you would need to feed a special joint food AND supplement. I would just keep her on her normal dry food and try the above with whatever supplement you choose and see if it works.

Alternatively, I think you can get capsules - and also bite size treats (Sashas Blend has itty bitty fishy pieces that stink to high heaven) as well in the joint supplement range that might be easier for you to give rather than the powder?

Edited by Kelly_Louise

Thanks everyone.

I will ask the butcher for those lamb pieces and try one of the powders instead of Hills J/D.

I did see there was a Joint Guard treat so if I have difficulties for whatever reason with the powder I suppose I can try that.

yes they do the same thing, some dogs to better on one then the other though, I have heard joint guard has more success :laugh:

My vet said that he has seen more sucess with products that have the green lipped muscles in them which Sasha's Blend has but Joint Guard doesn't.

There is a product that is basically just crushed green lipped muscles which may be cheaper the the Sasha's Blend.

Whatever you choose purchase it online and you will save a heap of money.