Pig Tails

I was at the park this morning and this lady was saying how great pigtails were for small dogs who tend to swallow chicken necks. They are apparently the same size but meatier and require lots of chewing. I was wondering whether they'd be safe to use on a regular basis, or would they be too fatty to be a regular treat?

You could try turkey necks, they are much bigger than chicken necks, or look at chicken wings or drumsticks.

Thanks guys! I am already doing chicken wings, drumsticks and turkey necks (soooo gross!), I was just wondering about the pig tails for variety. Guess I'll stay clear of them as I never feed pork to my two (both English Cocker spaniels) anyway.

ETA the lady who recommended them actually feed them to her pug, who I guess would be around 6/7 kgs.

Edited by fbaudry

I feed pig tails to my guys, but they are big dogs. Sometimes the tails I get have the whole rear end bit attached and sometimes its only the real tail bit. The fat content doesn't bother them but then they are a breed which I have often been told needs a bit of a fattier diet than some, and they love pork.

So not necessarily a recommendation for any other dog, but it's a popular meal at our place.

(on the other hand they also lurve chicken feet, so maybe they are just gross :wave: )

Edited by Diva

Hi,

I have a Lab and ACD and give them pork tails all the time. There isn't much fat and the bones are soft enough for the whole bone to be consumed.

A friend with two shelties also feeds pork tails.

The other white meat! :)