Plucking The Dog's Ears

I make sure that Zero's ears stay pretty much hair-free on the inside. He has narrowed ear canals from multiple untreated ear infections (his old owners were abusive and neglectful) and I've found that if i leave his ears "hairy", the ear infections seem to happen more often.

If you don't have a dog with a history of ear infections, I don't know if plucking will prevent ear infections but I know in my dog, it does. My grooming training (the course was terrible and seemed very old-fashioned) tells me to pluck but my vet said that unless Zero didn't have ear infections, I wouldn't have to. I used to use epi otic too but have been told not to use it because it can aggrivate the capilliaries after the hair has been plucked from them which can cause an infection. I've noticed that since i stopped using it, the ear infections have been even further apart.

My vet was telling me today that no one should be plucking the dog's ears (even groomers) because it can cause ear infection. If i don't pluck, is epi- otic ear wash sufficient?

Latest research from a top Dermatologist Vet (can't remember name), is that plucking is a no go. It aggravates the capillaries and may cause irritation or infection. A lot of vets are moving with this information, as obviously they all read the same studies and there was a lecture given in the past 12 months on this in Sydney. Think yourself lucky that you have a vet who is open to new information. :)

I've gone with a happy medium and none of my clients dogs have suffered since some of the ear hair has grown back. I would also steer clear of Epi Otic.

I know one of Oz's top groomers (MG) no longer advocates plucking along with well known vets. I think you'll find this is the way that it goes over the next few years. I would say more and more new groomers won't pluck as this is the way they will be trained.

I'm glad my Vet is old school then, I have always plucked (30 plus years) and will continue to do so.

No ear problems here. Un plucked ears in a humid climate eeew.

Like everything not everyone will agree, I do what works for me.

I'm glad my Vet is old school then, I have always plucked (30 plus years) and will continue to do so.

No ear problems here. Un plucked ears in a humid climate eeew.

Like everything not everyone will agree, I do what works for me.

Yep just like all the breeders of these breeds will continue to pluck because it has to be done,

I often wonder with vets where they gain there research knowledge & what breeds they have trialled it on.

It aggravates the capillaries and may cause irritation or infection.

This is what the vet said. I just couldn't remember the right words.... :(

But looks like its a proven thing that plucking is the option for hairy ear dogs. I don't want to have to sedate the dog to get it plucked when it comes to ear infection.

If there is smell coming from the ear, is that a sign of ear infection. And if so, is that when i need to use the epi otic? My pup is fine for now but I can see it happening in the future.

It aggravates the capillaries and may cause irritation or infection.

This is what the vet said. I just couldn't remember the right words.... :(

But looks like its a proven thing that plucking is the option for hairy ear dogs. I don't want to have to sedate the dog to get it plucked when it comes to ear infection.

If there is smell coming from the ear, is that a sign of ear infection. And if so, is that when i need to use the epi otic? My pup is fine for now but I can see it happening in the future.

Epiotic won't cure infection. If the ear pongs, head straight for the vet and don't treat it beforehand... vets need to see a clean ear.

Epiotic won't cure infection. If the ear pongs, head straight for the vet and don't treat it beforehand... vets need to see a clean ear.

You mean vets don't need to see a clean ear, right? Harder to tell what's going on if someone's already cleaned away the gunk. :)

• 2 weeks later...

We have been to the vet during the week for toby's last needle. Got this vet to look at his ears again and He had a good look said no infection or mites but very hairy and waxy debris. Plucking was advocated again. he has ears that sit close and is a bugger to pluck but the difference in his ears even over the past 2 days has been huge.

There is one question I would like to ask, especially the groomers here, how do you keep them dry when washing your puppies. Our little bugger shakes his head till the collon balls are gone (then tires to eat them :o ).

Bec

My vet was telling me today that no one should be plucking the dog's ears (even groomers) because it can cause ear infection. If i don't pluck, is epi- otic ear wash sufficient?

I read last nite on vetnet type site that you shouldn't either. Their reason was that the pores where the hair had been plucked from oozed a fluid that created the perfect environment for breeding baddies. Also, the hair is supposed to keep water out of the middle ear during swimming.

Whenever I have tried to pluck my dogs yelp so I am inclined not to. My boy dog won't let e near his ears now. (but i do insist on reg inspections much to his horror)

your vet doesnt want you to pluck so they can get good vet bills.

I have never known a vet to do such a thing. They'd have to be pretty sadistic to actually want pets to come back unwell.

Why do you think they say no plucking??The only way to fix a severe ear infection on a breed like the one in question is two remove the major build up of hair,Vets wont pluck unless knocked out.You cant stick drops down ears that are so impacted with hair.

We boarded a dog years ago & also groomed whilst here,We had never done this mini before,We started & something was very odd with the ear,we thought it had a stick stuck there.Straight to the vet who was also puzzled,The dog had to be knocked out.The ears had never been plucked & it ad infections.During this time the crap had set amongst the hair & ended up like a stick.It couldnt be snapped it was so hard.

Big vet bill & a very happy dog these owners now also pluck after realising what was cheaper & easier for the dog.

Plucking done correctly on the right dogs that need it doesnt cause ear infections.

I say ask your vet if they will pluck ears & most say no.Most vets & nurses have no clue how to pluck ears unless knocked out ,just like many wont cut dogs nails because they have no clue.

Our vet always said they could never do ears like we can & atleast they where honest.

It takes all of 2 mins to pluck,easy peasy.

We deal with it with our clients .

The most resent is a labradoodle.Vet blamed previous groomer for ear infection ,we have groomed the dog twice in 15 months.They ask us not to pluck ears because there vet said dont do it BUT the vet said it must come to them twice a year to be knocked out & ears plucked Hmm.

Another client with 3 schnauzers vet told them the same .All ended up with big ear issues,2/3 had to be knocked out ears plucked .They now come to us every 6 weeks to get the ears done no issues.

Vets say it & are also very aware of what the outcome will be ,if they arent aware then there vet skills suck because some breeds do need there ears plucked to minimise issuesIf

OK, then my question is...how do i find an excellent ear plucker like you? I do it I want it to be quick and painless.

do you use an ear powder? That gives good grip, keeps the ear dry.

don't pull out much in one go, just a few hairs and use a slight twisting motion.

When bathing you dog, you shouldn't need cotton balls in the ears. Wet the dog from tail to head, when doing the face make sure the water is always aimed awayfrom the ears/nose/eyes.