Black Background In Photos?

Winterpaws

Is there a trick to achieving a black background in photos without having to use photoshop?

I did google but the one site I found with an explanation had all these very complicated math equations and I got scared :laugh:

Umm like this is what I am looking for - http://www.equinephotographers.org/members...462&id=1516 but I am not sure if that one was photoshopped.

I've been told you can achieve this fairly easily if you know how?

That's either photoshopped or done "in studio" with control of the lights and a backdrop (and then still tidied up in post). You won't get that in a real life situation and you'll need external lighting so you can illuminate your subjects but expose for no detail in the background. I do it underwater all the time but on land? Tough one really.

I suck at changing backgrounds out and just plain don't do it and don't take the time to learn how but there are on some on here who do an awesome job so I'm sure they'll chime in!

Could be deep etched with the pen tool?

I hear "wa waa waa wa" like Charlie Brown's teacher - I have NO clue what this means ROFL. I am so not a photoshop guru!

Guest Tess32

Yes you can do it, but it depends on the light.

This one I took is natural -

3082596-2-mirrors.jpg

If there is a significant contrast/range of light between the light subject and the dark background, you can use spot metering to expose the lighter subject correctly, which automatically underexposes the background and produces this result.

When you see a black background it's usually studio, spot metering or photoshop.