How To Stop Peeing In The Crate?

MissLotus

Hi,

I've finally come to the realization that all dogs are different and have different learning abilities :thumbsup: I have a 3 month old cavy who is slowly getting the hang of doing her business outside. She still has accidents inside the house, but not as often as when we first got her... so patient and consistency is the key.

The problem I am now facing is her peeing in her crate during the night. When I'd reduce her crate size to half the size, I've notice that she would wake up and pee on one side and curl up into a little ball on the other side and sleep. This happened for the first few nights so what I did was reduce the size even more so there is just enough room for her to sleep. I believe this worked as I made the effort to wake up twice a night to take her outside to go to the toilet. For the last two nights I gave her more room to move around, as she is getting a bit bigger, but both nights she peed in her crate even though I took her outside to pee.

Any suggestions on how I can stop her from peeing in the crate :thumbsup: ? She doesn't whimper or bark when she needs to go. Do I keep doing what I am doing and hope for the best?

At what age can they hold in their pee? I read somewhere that it was roughly 13 weeks or so that they can hold their pee from night to morning.

With our first dog, it only took about 2 weeks until he stopped having accidents in his crate and even now if he really needs to go, he would bark to get our attention.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

where did you get the dog from? sounds like she has learned to pee in her bed

I dont expect a 13 week old CKCS to hang on all night I think you will be waiting longer then that :thumbsup: keep the crate size small, she has not had anywhere near long enough to break that ingrained habit. I think you just need to be more consistant and patient with this puppy she will eventually learn but you will have to show her.

Morning,

I have set my alarm to wake up three times a night - before we sleep, 3am and 6am regardless if it's a work day or a weekend.

I got her from a breeder and from memory I believe she did mention that her litter would pee and poo on one side of their sleeping area.

I guess I will continue doing what I am doing and hope she will soon learn.

Thanks for the help, I guess I just wanted to be reassured that I wasn't doing anything wrong.

Ouch having to get up so often during the night, but definitely worth it in the long run. Some pups get the physical ability to hold on before others, and I guess your girl is one of the slow ones. If she's allowed to get conditioned now to peeing in her bed it'll become a really hard habit to break, so getting up in the night is one way of solving it - but if that becomes all too much can you attach her crate to a small playpen so she can get away from her bed to pee? This would stop the habit of peeing in her bed from forming, allow you to sleep and give her time to develop the physical ability to hold on.

hi misslotus :laugh:

welcome to dol! I have also just joined and have 2 cav's. My girl took a while to toilet train but never went to the toilet in her bed until she had a urinary infection. Has your pup been checked by the vet? If not and the urine is offensive smelling the may pay to take a trip to the vet to rule this out. Persistance is the key and you seem to be doing everything right. I didn't crate train so i cant help with this. Come and join the cav thread, the girls in there are great and give wonderful advice. Hope it gets better :( Also dont forget pics of your little one !

• 3 weeks later...
hi misslotus :hug:

welcome to dol! I have also just joined and have 2 cav's. My girl took a while to toilet train but never went to the toilet in her bed until she had a urinary infection. Has your pup been checked by the vet? If not and the urine is offensive smelling the may pay to take a trip to the vet to rule this out. Persistance is the key and you seem to be doing everything right. I didn't crate train so i cant help with this. Come and join the cav thread, the girls in there are great and give wonderful advice. Hope it gets better :hug: Also dont forget pics of your little one !

Hi :hug:, sorry it's taken me awhile to reply.

She went to the vet last night to get her last vac's and and overall check and nothing seems to be wrong. Her pee isn't offensive smelling. It use to be when we first got her, but we changed her diet and it seems to have improved the smell. Thankgod!. Since originally posting my thread, I have gone back into the routine of waking up at 3am and taking her to the toilet etc. She has been good up until this week. Monday woke up at 3 to find herself sleeping in her puddle of pee. Then the rest of the week, I woke up at 3am to take her to the toilet, which was good, but woke up at 6 am to find a pee mark the size of a twenty cent coin. ARGHHH.. I just hope i'm not endorsing any bad behavior and she is starting to think peeing in her crate is fine.

Btw - where can i find the cav thread? Sorry, you can call me a bit new to these forums :rofl:

You can find us here http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...p;#entry3787782 Generally pups have a puppy pen with paper down and a bed so as they start walking they tend to toddle off the bedding and pee on the paper. I wonder if your pup was kept in an area where all the flooring was the same. Did you see the place the pup was raised?

Good afternoon :rofl:

Yes I did visit the breeders place and there was a bedding on one side and some newspaper on the other end.

Last night/this morning wasn't too bad, I woke up at 6am to see only one little pee mark... maybe left over pee?

Thanks for the link :)

Where is the crate placed. Can you hear her when she stirs?

If you are penning her inside during the day, that will be part of the problem.. she's getting used to peeing inside.

Edited by poodlefan

Where is the crate placed. Can you hear her when she stirs?

If you are penning her inside during the day, that will be part of the problem.. she's getting used to peeing inside.

Her crate is outside our bedroom and I am a light sleeper so I can hear her when she wakes up. She doesn't bark or scratches when she needs to go.

During the day, she is penned inside, however she has access to the garden to do her business. Lately, she's been very good and I do not see any pee in her pen area.

Morning,

I have set my alarm to wake up three times a night - before we sleep, 3am and 6am regardless if it's a work day or a weekend.

I got her from a breeder and from memory I believe she did mention that her litter would pee and poo on one side of their sleeping area.

I guess I will continue doing what I am doing and hope she will soon learn.

Thanks for the help, I guess I just wanted to be reassured that I wasn't doing anything wrong.

Hi Misslotus,

I toileted our pup at MN, set alarm for 3 and got up at 6. This worked well and as he grew, so did his bladder in size, capacity and neurologically. I gradually spread the times to encourage this and eventually only had the 12mn and 5-6am times...which is a lot easier to live with. I had to keep these 2 times for quite a few months to form the habit.

Sounds like you are on the right track.

Good luck. :)

My 12 week old GSD is toileted at about 9:30pm and then again before I go to bed at about midnight (I wake him up and carry him outside) ... and he still wakes up anywhere from 4:30am to 5am ... some days I am lucky and he sleeps through until 6am.

From day one he was toileted with the command "Go Toilet" - he now goes anytime I ask him to which make things easier.