Vet Medication Charges

50% mark up on the injection at 10mls? It was actually 40mls. So I came out ahead it appears....

How about the syringe and materials that went with it and the vet coming back in to do it after our consult had finished?

In this instance the vets took me immediately into treatment room despite waiting patients and I had 2 vets and a nurse working on him - trying to identify cause of bleeding (hard on a black dog when there is blood everywhere) and it would have been at least 1/2 an hour in time if not more.

Edited by Danois

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Much ado abut nothing in this thread. Face it, whingers, you're waaaay outnumbered and your attempts at justification feeble. But I'm enjoying it! :eek:

If you don't like the thread then don’t read it. Fortunately logical thinking and objective analysis are not judged by numbers.

Read the bold bit :cheer: At least, by responding to my post, you're admitting you're a whinger. :cheer:

You could actually try a bit of that "logical thinking and objective analysis" in your posts, but when you're out on a witch hunt, it just ain't there :eek:

Your reply says it all. How does replying to your post admit I am a winger. I think you need educating in logical analysis :)

Much ado abut nothing in this thread. Face it, whingers, you're waaaay outnumbered and your attempts at justification feeble. But I'm enjoying it! :eek:

If you don't like the thread then don’t read it. Fortunately logical thinking and objective analysis are not judged by numbers.

Read the bold bit :cheer: At least, by responding to my post, you're admitting you're a whinger. :laugh:

You could actually try a bit of that "logical thinking and objective analysis" in your posts, but when you're out on a witch hunt, it just ain't there :eek:

Your reply says it all. How does replying to your post admit I am a winger. I think you need educating in logical analysis :cheer:

If you weren't a whinger, you wouldn't have responded :cheer: By logical thinking and objective analysis, your response indicates you believed I was talking to you :confused::cheer:

Thanks for playing :)

Edited by caffiend42

How are the charges not transparent? I have a recent vet bill and a recent mechanic bill and they're both broken down the same way to me? And- i can tell you which one was more expensive too!! :eek:

With the machanics bill you have some way of finding out if you was ripped-off(Fair Trading) at the vets :eek:'S -UP

Not true I am afraid - I have had a service and been charged for filter changes but at the next service at my usual mechanic they needed to be changed. Since then, I always require that all old stuff be left in the crate in the back (in a garbage bag) so I can see it has been done.

Anyone can rip you off if they so desire but I like to believe that most are honest...

Vets like all businesses are running a business to make a profit - yes they all love animals and do it for the animals but ultimately they are in it to make money just like the rest of us and are entitled to do so.

Much ado abut nothing in this thread. Face it, whingers, you're waaaay outnumbered and your attempts at justification feeble. But I'm enjoying it! :)

Mmm have to agree caff - I keep coming back to see what is new :cheer:

Clavulox injection 10ml pricing ok about a 50% mark up. Can't comment on the tablets as you would need to specify the whether they are 50, 100 or 250mg

The dog didn't receive 10ml of Clavulox. Also the tablets come in 50mg, 250mg and 500mg. The number of tablets suggests it was either a short course for a dog 20-30kg using 250mg tablets or a longer course for a similarly sized dog using 500mg tabs. The bigger tabs are comparatively more expensive, but some vets with hearts will dispense the larger tablets to be given as fractions of tablets (1/2 or 3/4) because it's more economical. (Edit: Some clients also complain about having to break tablets)

The price of the injection will be made up of an injection fee and the cost of the drug. In my local area the injection fee run between $13 and $17. Clavulox (as in product manufactured by Pfizer) is not a generic and is more expensive than other products. The injection also covers the first 24 hours of treatment.

Edited by Rappie

How about the syringe and materials that went with it and the vet coming back in to do it after our consult had finished?

In this instance the vets took me immediately into treatment room despite waiting patients and I had 2 vets and a nurse working on him - trying to identify cause of bleeding (hard on a black dog when there is blood everywhere) and it would have been at least 1/2 an hour in time if not more.

Indeed! Lots of little materials and things that those costs help cover... apparently they are "hidden" to the "average" person too... :eek:

Clavulox injection 10ml pricing ok about a 50% mark up. Can't comment on the tablets as you would need to specify the whether they are 50, 100 or 250mg

The dog didn't receive 10ml of Clavulox. Also the tablets come in 50mg, 250mg and 500mg. The number of tablets suggests it was either a short course for a dog 20-30kg using 250mg tablets or a longer course for a similarly sized dog using 500mg tabs. The bigger tabs are comparatively more expensive, but some vets with hearts will dispense the larger tablets to be given as fractions of tablets (1/2 or 3/4) because it's more economical.

The price of the injection will be made up of an injection fee and the cost of the drug. In my local area the injection fee run between $13 and $17. Clavulox (as in product manufactured by Pfizer) is not a generic and is more expensive than other products. The injection also covers the first 24 hours of treatment.

Pretty much there!

It was a course of 500mg tablets for a 55kg dog.

I chose the injection (rather than it being offered) as I know I have issues getting him to take tablets and would rather not subject him to more stress for 24 hours following the attack.

The dog didn't receive 10ml of Clavulox. Also the tablets come in 50mg, 250mg and 500mg. The number of tablets suggests it was either a short course for a dog 20-30kg using 250mg tablets or a longer course for a similarly sized dog using 500mg tabs. The bigger tabs are comparatively more expensive, but some vets with hearts will dispense the larger tablets to be given as fractions of tablets (1/2 or 3/4) because it's more economical. (Edit: Some clients also complain about having to break tablets)

I will get the name of that vet, if it was a 40ml injection that's great value and he is running at a loss

Pretty much there!

It was a course of 500mg tablets for a 55kg dog.

I chose the injection (rather than it being offered) as I know I have issues getting him to take tablets and would rather not subject him to more stress for 24 hours following the attack.

Or a short course for a very large dog! :eek:

What you decided to do is what I will often offer to owners where there is some reason that the first 24 hours of treatment might be difficult - particularly cats with large abscesses on their head or gastrointestinal problems. I see it as offering options for lower stress and effective treatment, but I know many people fee its just money sucking. Nevertheless, it's only an option.

I will get the name of that vet, if it was a 40ml injection that's great value and he is running at a loss

A 20ml syringe at my local chemist only costs $0.60 GST inclusive :eek:

The only animal that would require 40ml of Clavulox injection in one sitting is a cow. Seeing as how it's not registered in large animals (except for the 500mg tablets being approved for use in calves) I doubt that Danois' dog received more than 6mls and that would have been at the "high" dose rate.

It comes in multidose vials.

Edited by Rappie

When receiving a bill I would like to be charged for the consultation and the cost of medications/drugs plus a small mark up of around 10% to cover expenses.

:eek::):cheer:

Is that how it's supposed to work? Man, I've been accepting prices given to me by vets, doctors, mechanics, grocers, newsagents, service stations, butchers.... damn, never thought to go in and tell them I expect a big discount... :eek:

Right - I am off the the supermarket - must remember to ask them to disclose the cost price of the raspberry jam and mustard I am going to buy so I can make sure I am not being ripped off.

I might drive a further 10 mins to make sure that Coles is not cheaper than Franklins - but what's a girl to do - there's a Woolies 10 mins in the opposite direction. Decisions decisions....