Vet Medication Charges

Ha! My pet hate (vets)

The last time I needed a vet my little fat dog got a stone stuck in his whistle,I dropped the dog off at the local vet at 9 ish,the vet rang me at 4 ish, and told me that the dog is fine now,and the cost would be $1000,I nearly fell over, where in the help does one get hold $1000 just like that,

Hmmm, fair enough. Tell you what then, you sponsor me and pay my student loan while I work my arse off at vet school for years and years and years, and when I graduate, I'll treat your dog for free.

Oh what? I'm supposed to do all the work and get a huge student loan AND not charge you for my services when I graduate? What dream world do you live in? :eek:

Seriously, I can understand that some people would prefer a lesser mark up on drugs (although 10% is unrealistic I'm afraid) along with a larger charge for a consultation, although I can't see why people think the distinction is so important - the vet has to cover the costs and make a profit somehow, so you'll end up paying about the same either way, whether through drug markup or through higher consultation charges.

But the trend of some posters to whinge because vets dare to charge for their services is just ridiculous. When you have to go to the hospital, do you complain because the doctors and surgeons want to be paid for their time? I certainly hope not.

Pay peanuts... get monkeys. Diagnosing medical issues, prescribing drugs, and performing surgical operations are actually quite skilled and responsible jobs, you know.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do any other retailers or service providers disclose their markup?

The point of this thread is simply a good old bitch AFAIC.

I think it all comes down to ethics, if the vet over charges the RRP on drugs, if there is a RRP on drugs, are they(vet) going to treat the animal SLOWLY? so they will need to use more drugs than normal.

If you have a good relationship with a Vet that you trust then none of this is an issue is it?

I have worked with many Vets and have never seen one drag out treatment to increase the cost to the client.

To do so is unethical, yes, but that is not the reason for this thread, this thread is simply a bitch about the markup of drugs.

Ha! My pet hate (vets)

The last time I needed a vet my little fat dog got a stone stuck in his whistle,I dropped the dog off at the local vet at 9 ish,the vet rang me at 4 ish, and told me that the dog is fine now,and the cost would be $1000,I nearly fell over, where in the help does one get hold $1000 just like that,

Hmmm, fair enough. Tell you what then, you sponsor me and pay my student loan while I work my arse off at vet school for years and years and years, and when I graduate, I'll treat your dog for free.

Oh what? I'm supposed to do all the work and get a huge student loan AND not charge you for my services when I graduate? What dream world do you live in? :eek:

Seriously, I can understand that some people would prefer a lesser mark up on drugs (although 10% is unrealistic I'm afraid) along with a larger charge for a consultation, although I can't see why people think the distinction is so important - the vet has to cover the costs and make a profit somehow, so you'll end up paying about the same either way, whether through drug markup or through higher consultation charges.

But the trend of some posters to whinge because vets dare to charge for their services is just ridiculous. When you have to go to the hospital, do you complain because the doctors and surgeons want to be paid for their time? I certainly hope not.

Pay peanuts... get monkeys. Diagnosing medical issues, prescribing drugs, and performing surgical operations are actually quite skilled and responsible jobs, you know.

I'll be in that, if you pay me a lot more for my service than it is worth, it has taken me 30 plus years to get my knowlege in my business, and to know all the tricks, but it seems to me vets want it their own way.

Vets don't seem to have a RRP in their business, but they expect all other business to have a RRP.

It is about time vets came down from cloud 9. You are not running RPA.

I would like vets to get the fire back in their belly that they had when the came out of UNI, and remember why they became vets in the first place.

All my businesses (45 years) I have had to have a RRP on all goods sold, the veterinary industry has been over looked by the Fair Trading. :eek:

Edited by nicestman77

if you pay me a lot more for my service than it is worth, it has taken me 30 plus years to get my knowlage in my business, and to know all the tricks, but it seems to me vets want it their own way.

Vets don't seem to have a RRP in their business, but they expect all other business to have a RRP.

It is about time vets came down from cloud 9. You are not running RPA.

I would like vets to get the fire back in their belly that they had when the came out of UNI, and remember why they became vets in the first place.

All my businesses (45 years) I have had to have a RRP on all goods sold, the veterinary industry has been over looked by the Fair Trading. :eek:

That all just sounds like sour grapes :eek:

Ha! My pet hate (vets)

I'll be in that, if you pay me a lot more for my service than it is worth, it has taken me 30 plus years to get my knowlage in my business, and to know all the tricks, but it seems to me vets want it their own way...I would like vets to get the fire back in their belly that they had when the came out of UNI, and remember why they became vets in the first place.

So making a fair profit so I can pay my loan back, feed my family and buy a house is more than my service is "worth"? Thanks a lot.

I rather suspect you may change your mind about how much my service is "worth" when your dog gets bowled by a car or eats some snail bait and suddenly urgently needs veterinary attention. :eek:

I'm graduating in vet school in 2 1/2 years, after 9 years total of university (ouch), and although I'm itching to graduate and get into practice, talking to people like you is what takes the fire *out* of my belly.

The idea of having to deal with clients who whinge behind my back because I and my boss dare to charge them enough money to cover our overheads and (gasp) allow us to make some profit just makes me feel sick, actually. I can't even imagine being rude enough to tell any other professional that they aren't "worth" the hourly rate that they charge.

Hooray!!! That is exactly my point. Charge for the service and the true cost of running the business, and not hide the charges in the medication.

That is the point most replies are missing. I do not want to shop around, I do not want to pay less, I want a good relationship with a Vet and I want to pay for the professional service and not a retail operation.

Ha! My pet hate (vets)

Oh what? I'm supposed to do all the work and get a huge student loan AND not charge you for my services when I graduate? What dream world do you live in? :)

I'll be in that, if you pay me a lot more for my service than it is worth, it has taken me 30 plus years to get my knowlage in my business, and to know all the tricks, but it seems to me vets want it their own way...I would like vets to get the fire back in their belly that they had when the came out of UNI, and remember why they became vets in the first place.

So making a fair profit so I can pay my loan back, feed my family and buy a house is more than my service is "worth"? Thanks a lot.

I rather suspect you may change your mind about how much my service is "worth" when your dog gets bowled by a car or eats some snail bait and suddenly urgently needs veterinary attention. :eek:

I'm graduating in vet school in 2 1/2 years, after 9 years total of university (ouch), and although I'm itching to graduate and get into practice, talking to people like you is what takes the fire *out* of my belly.

The idea of having to deal with clients who whinge behind my back because I and my boss dare to charge them enough money to cover our overheads and (gasp) allow us to make some profit just makes me feel sick, actually. I can't even imagine being rude enough to tell any other professional that they aren't "worth" the hourly rate that they charge.

It looks like you will fit very well into the vet industry. please don't contact me. I dont need a bad day. You will rememeber me. :cheer: Someone has to put you back on the straight and narrow.

Firstly you don't listen, and you seem to be getting that additude just right for the job. :eek:

You are make it hard for the real vets that really care with that fire still in their belly about treating their customers(animals)

Edited by nicestman77

Ha! My pet hate (vets)

Oh what? I'm supposed to do all the work and get a huge student loan AND not charge you for my services when I graduate? What dream world do you live in? :)

It looks like you will fit very well into the vet industry. please don't contact me. I dont need a bad day. You will rememeber me. :cheer: Someone has to put you back on the straight and narrow.

Firstly you don't listen, and you seem to be getting that additude just right for the job. :eek:

Why would I contact you? I don't know you from Adam? Paranoid much? :cheer:

You're just SO missing the point of this thread.

Thanks for the heads up on that.

Do any other retailers or service providers disclose their markup?

The point of this thread is simply a good old bitch AFAIC.

I think it all comes down to ethics, if the vet over charges the RRP on drugs, if there is a RRP on drugs, are they(vet) going to treat the animal SLOWLY? so they will need to use more drugs than normal.

RRP = Recommended Retail Price which might be appropriate in perfect circumstances - ie without having to take into account wastage, dispensing costs, freight etc etc. Its only an indication of what could be charged - not what has to be charged.

Ha! My pet hate (vets)

All fine in theory Staranais - but then a whole different group of people would be starting a thread and moaning about how much vets charge for a consult and how unaffordable vet treatment is *cue violins*. Vets having dispensing costs etc on drugs is the fairer way as not all consults will result in medication being provided.

Ha! My pet hate (vets)

Oh what? I'm supposed to do all the work and get a huge student loan AND not charge you for my services when I graduate? What dream world do you live in? :cheer:

I rather suspect you may change your mind about how much my service is "worth" when your dog gets bowled by a car or eats some snail bait and suddenly urgently needs veterinary attention. :)

It looks like you will fit very well into the vet industry. please don't contact me. I dont need a bad day. You will rememeber me. :laugh: Someone has to put you back on the straight and narrow.

Why would I contact you? I don't know you from Adam? Paranoid much? :cheer:

YIPPY :eek:

You are make it hard for the real vets that really care with that fire still in their belly about treating their customers(animals)

Funny how the real vets/ people in the vet industry in this thread have commented in the same vein then.

They do care about treating animals but, and it may come as big surprise to you, that they cannot do this if they can't stay in business.

I would rather pay less for a consult, more for meds as there have been many occassions where my dog has not needed medication.

Is it fair that some unfortunate client's animal that needs medication is subsidising your consultation?

Funny how the real vets/ people in the vet industry in this thread have commented in the same vein then.

They do care about treating animals but, and it may come as big surprise to you, that they cannot do this if they can't stay in business.

Perhaps I'll go tell my doctor he's not a "real doctor" and he doesn't care, because I know he makes a profit. :eek:

I thought some of what was being said here was familiar - there was a thread on medication dispensing in Oct 2008 in which Mum to Emma complained of the same issues with Trental and a good chunk of her posts have been vet bashing.

I like the fact that I trust my vet 100% be it with the services and care they offer or the prices they charge.

I subsidise my own vet visits when my unfortunate animal is the one that does need medication. :eek: But to be honest- i rarely think about the cost of my vet as i know they are the best people to look after my animal and i know they are ethical- what i pay is worth it regardless of the breakdown.

I thought some of what was being said here was familiar - there was a thread on medication dispensing in Oct 2008 in which Mum to Emma complained of the same issues with Trental and a good chunk of her posts have been vet bashing.

I like the fact that I trust my vet 100% be it with the services and care they offer or the prices they charge.

I think many of the replies here do not reflect the true feeling in the general community. I posted this thread as I had a number of people in the general community raise issues with me. Most of the members of this forum have a relationship with their Vet and hence do not have an issue, but there is a greater number out there in the general community that only visit a Vet occasionally and the charges are not transparent.

How are the charges not transparent? I have a recent vet bill and a recent mechanic bill and they're both broken down the same way to me? And- i can tell you which one was more expensive too!! :eek:

I think many of the replies here do not reflect the true feeling in the general community. I posted this thread as I had a number of people in the general community raise issues with me. Most of the members of this forum have a relationship with their Vet and hence do not have an issue, but there is a greater number out there in the general community that only visit a Vet occasionally and the charges are not transparent.

I can see why some people would be confused, but then again you can always ask your vet how the costs break down, if you're confused. Most are happy to explain (you get grumpy bastards in every profession).

I had to take my boy cat into the vet late last night, and got charged about $110 for an NSAID, antibiotic shot, and some antibiotic tabs to take home. About half of that was drug cost, which is a large markup. But on the other hand, I thought the appointment charge was a bargain for getting the poor vet out of the house and down to the surgery at that hour (she was cheerful about it too!)

So it's swings and roundabouts, I think. You prefer to be charged a minimal mark up for drugs, and a large consultation fee. Others (like Cosmolo) prefer it the other way round. But on average, I'd guess you both pay about the same.

I'm confused about what you feel is not tranparent ? would you prefer the itemised account you recieve at payment disclose the cost price of the drugs ??!! I don't see that on my hardware invoice or supermarket invoice !!

I'm a vet nurse, and believe me - most small practices run a very tight ship in order to pay the suppliers, wages, and the other huge overheads in order to survive.

NOTHING can replace a trusted vet relationship - it sometimes takes years to find and you should hang onto it gratefully.

Vet meds are expensive - end of story, factor it into your petcare or don't have pets or as suggested take out pet health insurance.

fifi