Segue From Another Thread

kja

Heartworm & Vax options  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Heartworm - which do you prefer and why?

• annual injection
    • tablets
    • none
    • other (describe)
  2. 2. Vaccinations - which do you prefer and why?

• Yearly
    • Not after they are puppies & done the first set
    • 3 yearly
    • other (describe)

OK, our doglets are due for another heartworm injection. Last year hubby changed them from the tablets thingos to the annual injection, thinking this was a better option for the dogs.

As I'm reading and learning I come across this thread which seems to present an alternative view to either not do the heartworm at all or do the tablets instead of the injection.

Then there is a 3 year injection in that thread that I'm a little confused about exactly what it is.

We try to do the right thing by our pets and are always learning and evolving our methods. So what's best do you think?

I only vaccinate for parvo, hepatitis and distemper (that's a C3). Puppy shots, then a booster at one year, then three yearly from then on.

If I needed to show proof of canine influenza vacc before going to a kennel etc, then I'd just do it separately with a single shot. I'm not sure about these C6 and C7 cocktails, I don't think they're necessary or particularly good for the dog.

Coronavirus is generally pretty harmless unless it's contracted at the same time as parvo. Lepto doesn't occur where I live. Parainfluenza and Bordatella I don't think are necessary for most dogs, unless they're going to a boarding kennel or similar environment.

If a dog had a nasty vaccine reaction at any point after the puppy shots, I'd personally not vaccinate any further & would rely on the puppy shots and herd immunity to hopefully keep him safe.

Heartworm not an issue here, luckily.

Kja, the new 2 or 3 yearly adult vaccines are similar or identical to the old annual ones - the only difference is that the manufacturer has done clinical trials to convince themselves that the vaccine protects for at least 2 or 3 years in most dogs, so they're prepared to stand behind the product for a longer period of time.

Heartworm not an issue here, luckily.

Kja, the new 2 or 3 yearly adult vaccines are similar or identical to the old annual ones - the only difference is that the manufacturer has done clinical trials to convince themselves that the vaccine protects for at least 2 or 3 years in most dogs, so they're prepared to stand behind the product for a longer period of time.

How does one know if heartworm is an issue or not?

I'm sure this vet is good, but I do always get the feeling that they do things one way and that's just the way it's always been done coz somewhere along the line it's what they were taught. Even when I ask, I don't feel like I get the information I need to make good choices. I never get the feeling that the vet is au courant, merely more or less adequate. But as the next closest vet is an 8 hour drive, sometimes it's just what it is...

How does one know if heartworm is an issue or not?

Ask your vet I guess, or maybe ring a couple of other vets near your local area and ask if hearworm is a problem in your area?

I live in NZ and we don't have it, so I'm not much use when it comes to heartworm questions. :rolleyes:

Pity you have no closer vets to try out. It's good to get a vet who is on your wavelength.

I started with monthly heartworm chews, then changed to injections until my vet told me Heartworm isn't a problem in our area and that she wouldn't worry about it.

I now use no heartworm prevention...

I used to vaccinate every year, then 3 when my vet recommended it, and now after thorough research of my own, I wont be vaccinating my current dogs (7 & 8yrs) again.

In the future, any puppy I get will probably have their first vaccinations, possibly a first year one, then never again.

I use daily heartworm pills. I just give them with their breakfast every morning so there's no chance of forgetting.

Used to do annual vaccinations,but like others, have done more research, and won't pump any more things into them they don't need,imo.

I don't vaccinate now past the 1 year booster :o

Two puppy C3 vaccs, then one C3 at 15 months, then no more vaccs.

Heartworm with ivermectin every 2 months.

Intestinal worm every 3-4 months.

And we don't heartworm/intestinal worm at the same time.

Minimal chemical intervention. :o

My dogs have their puppy vacc's usually c3 then maybe every 3-4 years after that, we tend to do it less as they get older. Heartworm I have never used and never will I don't feel their is enough risk of them catching it to warrant using it, even in a high mozzie area.

Intestinal worming we do every 5-6 months I think it is the most important thing to treat for as it is easily caught and passed around.

According to the vet, heartworm is not an issue in my area due to the cold weather making it hard for mosquito populations to persist. However, I use Revolution for flea, mites, worms (apart from tape) & it also does heartworm. So, if I travel to a show in heartworm areas, I don't have to worry.

C3 for the puppy vacs. then no more vacs. No heartworm given. Flea treatment only if they have fleas (none for years), no ticks in this area, so no treatment. Worming regularly as pups then poop tested every so often and and meds used if necessary, all dogs have been clear for over 12 months now. The less chemicals pumped in, the better IMO.

C3 puppy vaccs, then again at 12mths. No heartworm treatment. Don't have a problem with fleas and intestinal worming every 6 months. I feel that most people pump to many chemicals into dogs. Oh, my vet agrees with me. :o