Retriever Trials

Hi Everyone,

I have a 13 week old golden retriever and I would like him to learn retrieving, and eventually get involved in retriever trials. I was wondering how do I go about it? Are there schools that teach retrieving? Are there trials I can go to to see what it is like?

I am in the inner west in Melbourne. I should also mention that I plan on taking him to obedience school when he has had all of his vaccinations.

Thanks

KAT

Hi Kat1

There is a retrieving trial being held on 27/28 June in the Bendigo area. It is being run by the Labrador Club and if you'd like to go along you can contact the club for details. Otherwise visit this website australianworkingretrievercentral.org.au and check under Trial Schedules/Results for details of any trials coming up.

KAT1,

As SD and Sonic suggest, best to observe a retrieving trial.

There seems to be two groups most involved, those who have hunting backgrounds and those who are from obedience.

Loving the outdoors (both when hot and cold), camping if not for you - there are motels, but most stay on site, travelling, finding suitable training areas, mentors, and fun, with a little madness.

Check in, is usually between 7 and 7.30am. Not for everyone, especially if driving from the city to a trial.