Probiotics And Antibiotics

I bought some Acidophilus caspules to sprinkle on Madeline's food as she is still on antibiotics after several weeks (staph infection). I read somewhere that you shouldn't give the probiotics at the same time as the antibiotics as they cancel each other out. Is this true? Maddie gets two meals a day and I'm used to giving any medications in the morning. Should I add the probiotic with the evening meal or does it really not make a difference?

I don't think giving a probiotic would make the antibiotic less effective, but the antibiotic might kill the probiotic bugs, just meaning you're wasting your money if you give probiotics before the antibiotics are finished?

This was a confusing one! I googled some veterinary advice sites and the general answer seems to be that probiotics should be given when they're on antibiotics...

The probiotics should be given when your dog is on antibiotics. They replenish the good bacteria that the antibiotic kills unavoidably along with the bad.
Give 2-3 hours before or after meds and than continue for a couple of weeks (or longer) after meds are finished. The length of time depends on the amount and how long the dog was on meds.
After being on antibiotics even for one day people and animals need to be on a probiotic.
Dr. S.K. Dash Ph.D. who has decades of research in the area of pro-biotics says to take your pro-biotics between the times you take your anti-biotics. He is a leader in his field and has written books on this subject. His website is http://www.usalabs.com.
My personal research has led me to believe that if using Antibiotics, using Probiotics in-between the doses of antibiotics daily is generally best.

I site mentioned here earlier led me to some comments from a Dr. who research this a great deal apparently. I also feel using antibiotics for a couple weeks without repopulating the gut with any flora significantly lowers the immunity.

As the antibiotic kills ALL bacteria, good and bad, the probiotic helps to replenish the good bacteria, and the dog is less succeptable to diahorrea or infections (particularly yeast infections) Here is a good link I found that explains why probiotics should be taken when on antibiotics... http://www.ispub.com/ostia/index.php?xmlFi.../probiotics.xml

I will give Madeline her antibiotic in the morning and the probiotic in the evening.

Looks like I've answered my own question! :D :laugh: Hope it helps others too :rofl:

It's called Acidophilus Plus, the Amcal Chemist brand. 50 capsules. 2 billion Lactobacillus acidophilus organisms and 2 billion Bifidobacterium animalis ssp lactis organisms. Cost $15.50 if I remember rightly. I just open the capsule and sprinkle it on her meal.

As the antibiotic kills ALL bacteria, good and bad, the probiotic helps to replenish the good bacteria, and the dog is less succeptable to diahorrea or infections (particularly yeast infections) Here is a good link I found that explains why probiotics should be taken when on antibiotics... http://www.ispub.com/ostia/index.php?xmlFi.../probiotics.xml

Thanks Yellowgirl, that's really interesting. Sounds like they're saying that although antibiotics do kill off the probiotics, the best method is for you to just constantly keep putting the probiotics back. :laugh:

Thanks Yellowgirl, that's really interesting. Sounds like they're saying that although antibiotics do kill off the probiotics, the best method is for you to just constantly keep putting the probiotics back. :rolleyes:

Haha! Sounds funny when you put it like that :) . I figure the anitbiotics have 12 hours to do their thing, and the next 12 hours the probiotics do their thing :rofl: Hopefully it's relpacing some of the intestinal flora that's been killed off by the antibiotics.