Canon Eos 450d

I have decided to buy myself a gift courtesy of Mr Rudd. :)

Is the Canon EOS 450D a good SLR to start out with. I have found it for $1274.90 with the twin lens kit.

It will be used as a hobby camera.

I don't know a great deal about cameras, but love looking at beautiful photos and Im interested in learning more, I wondered if this is a good camera for that price?

Cheers

ETA: I got one today from JB Hi Fi at $1240 with a free bag and a discount off memory card etc :) It's charging now :laugh:

Edited by black magic

seems reasonable when you look at the price on Canons site. http://www.canon.com.au/products/cameras/digital_slr.html

I bought the 400D a little over a year ago and didn't know much. It seems a bit daunting when you first see all the controls and the manual but little by little you'll learn. I think the 450d would be a great first camera. I have to say I am not thrilled with my kit lenses but they aren't the IS ones which I suspect yours will be. I personally wish I'd just bought the body and got my lenses separately.

I don't know about the price as you'll need to shop around a little just to see what other places are offering it for. Both of those lenses are just fine, they're actually better than should be expected out of a kit lens for the most part. They will be a good start for you and should help you figure out what you really like to do and then you can move forward with more purchases later if you find that one or the other (or both) aren't doing what you need them to do.

Or if you are sure you know what you want from a lens, look for the body separately and buy the lenses individually, too.

the Canon 450D is one sweet little camera that does an excellent job for new users and experienced users alike. It's a great body.

*sigh* It's gone down in price recently - I bought mine about 10 months ago and it cost $1500 for the twin lens kit. I've used it nearly everyday and gone through all the settings and now I'm wishing I'd got the 40d or 50d!

It's a great little camera for the price of it, and the lenses are really versatile.