Bark Collars For Rent

I was at the vet today getting the batty border collie vaccinated and raised the question of barking collars with the vet. She recommended the citronella type and thinks it would likely work with the batty one as she's a quick learner.

She's not barking for attention or because she likes the sound of her own voice, she barks at bugs (even the tiny little grass flies), any birds that move and possums if she's outside when it's dark. I can take her for an hour long run with the push bike where she struggles to stagger home and 5 minutes after getting back she's circling the back yard barking at bugs again. I can be out there with her, even throwing the ball and she'll break to bark at them :thumbsup: I swear she has a screw loose in that fuzzy head of hers. I haven't had a complaint from the neighbours (yet) as it's a fairly dog intensive street and a few do bark as much as she does, but it drives me up the wall and my housemate's getting annoyed about being woken up if she sleeps in. Being yelled at once or twice is usually enough to shut her up though (the dog, not the housemate) so I think a collar could help break the habit.

The vet mentioned that at a previous clinic they owned one and would hire it out to anyone who needed one as they're not cheap to buy and most people don't need them for long enough to justify the expense. She seems to think this isn't uncommon, however I've never heard of it before.

Soooooo does anyone have one I could rent or know of anyone who does? I'd rather go that way than buy one and find out it doesn't work on her.

:laugh:

Oh cool, thanks SM :thumbsup: Didn't think of that! I'll give them a call tomorrow to see what their rates are.

Meanwhile I've found a website that hires them out too (www.dogmaster.com.au) so will contact them if my council doesn't do it or won't when there haven't been any complaints.

I know your owning looking at renting - but give ebay a look. I was on there looking at doggey accessories, they have heaps of varieties in correction collars. For the price of renting it might be worth buying one, and then if takes longer, or she ever drifts back, you still have it there.

Just an idea.

...5 minutes after getting back she's circling the back yard barking at bugs again. I can be out there with her, even throwing the ball and she'll break to bark at them :scared: I swear she has a screw loose in that fuzzy head of hers.

:crazy:

Oh dear...that's too funny! I'm so glad my dogs aren't like that though...

Bummer. I just spent 10 mins searching through a DOLer's posts because I thought the had posted the link of the place where you can order and pay online for a rental... :) couldn't find it.

I know it can be done.... Maybe you'll have better luck searching the rescue threads?

:laugh:

Oh dear...that's too funny! I'm so glad my dogs aren't like that though...

Bummer. I just spent 10 mins searching through a DOLer's posts because I thought the had posted the link of the place where you can order and pay online for a rental... :D couldn't find it.

I know it can be done.... Maybe you'll have better luck searching the rescue threads?

Hah! I have a theory that inside her head are rainbows, kittens and lollipops all MASHING TOGETHER AT ONCE :thumbsup: She's a mental case whenever she's not sleeping, which thankfully she does a reasonable amount of. Like now, she's curled up on a chair looking amazingly cute and I think she can't really be THAT bad can she?

I think I have the rental aspect all sorted out, thanks for searching anyway :D I couldn't find anything either hence the new thread.