Opinions Of Food Ingredients Please.

Just discovered an Australian dry food which my Chihuahuas just love. Would like opinions on ingredients please.

Holistic Pet Food Lamb and Rice.

Crude Protein 22% Crude fat 12% Crude Fibre 4.50% Crude Ash 11.0% Phosphorus 1.50% (max) Calcium 1.45% (max) Moisture 10.00% (max)

INGREDIENTS:

Lamb Meal, Ground rice, Ground oats, Rice bran, Flaxseed, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols and Ascorbyl Palmitate) Brewers dried yeast, Lecithin, Natural Lamb flavour, dried carrots, dried kelp, choline chloride, calcium ascorbate (source of vitamin c) zinc amino acid chelate, yucca schidgera extract, dried blueberries, dandelion, peppermint, rosemary tomato meal vitamin E supplement, iron amino acid chelate, manganese amino acid chelate, cobalt amino acid chelate, biotin, vitamin a acetate, calcium pantothenate niacin, pyrodoxine hydrochloride (B6), thiamine mononitate (B1), vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, riboflavin supplement, D-L-Methionine, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity) folic acid, copper amino acid chelate, sodium selenite calcium iodate.

Phew.....lots of ingredients. I am assured it is all good by the manufacturers.

Now, opinions please?

Edited by moggy

more information might help..

we cant give advice on something if we dont have all the details so a brand name would be nice cos i just googled 'Holistic Pet Food Lamb and Rice' and came up with a few options..

Edited by Toolz

Just discovered an Australian dry food which my Chihuahuas just love. Would like opinions on ingredients please.

Crude Protein 22%

Can you post the ingredients list?

I think it sounds ok compared to a lot of other dry foods out there.

I have googled Australian Pet Essentials Holistic Pet Food and can't come up with anything?? I'd be really keen to find out more about this food?

Edited by stormie

The ingredients all sound OK to me, but I just wanted to point out that ingredients in pet food are generally listed in order of weight at time of manufacture, not in order of weight in the finished product. For this food, the first ingredient lamb is probably added moist (then dehydrated later in the process of creating the kibble), whereas the next three ingredients in the list are added already dried.

So you're probably actually buying a product that is mostly rice and oats, not mostly lamb, by volume. It may not matter to you, but it's just something I thought you may want to be aware of. :thumbsup:

The ingredients all sound OK to me, but I just wanted to point out that ingredients in pet food are generally listed in order of weight at time of manufacture, not in order of weight in the finished product. For this food, the first ingredient lamb is probably added moist (then dehydrated later in the process of creating the kibble), whereas the next three ingredients in the list are added already dried.

So you're probably actually buying a product that is mostly rice and oats, not mostly lamb, by volume. It may not matter to you, but it's just something I thought you may want to be aware of. :thumbsup:

The ingredients lists lamb meal as the first ingredient, not lamb, which is lamb which has already been dehydrated. So there's a fair amount of real meat in this food.

Stormie, I saw an ad for it in our local newpaper. Their premises is in Howarth Court, Breakwater which is not far from us. They stress all their products are made from human grade ingredients.

So you're probably actually buying a product that is mostly rice and oats, not mostly lamb, by volume. It may not matter to you, but it's just something I thought you may want to be aware of. :D

The ingredients lists lamb meal as the first ingredient, not lamb, which is lamb which has already been dehydrated. So there's a fair amount of real meat in this food.

:laugh:

So you're probably actually buying a product that is mostly rice and oats, not mostly lamb, by volume. It may not matter to you, but it's just something I thought you may want to be aware of. :D

:laugh:

Thanks Stormie - I didn't realise that "lamb meal" was an already rendered product. Now I know!

Crude Protein 22% Crude fat 12% Crude Fibre 4.50% Crude Ash 11.0% Phosphorus 1.50% (max) Calcium 1.45% (max) Moisture 10.00% (max)

INGREDIENTS:

Lamb Meal, Ground rice, Ground oats, Rice bran, Flaxseed, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols and Ascorbyl Palmitate) Brewers dried yeast, Lecithin, Natural Lamb flavour, dried carrots, dried kelp, choline chloride, calcium ascorbate (source of vitamin c) zinc amino acid chelate, yucca schidgera extract, dried blueberries, dandelion, peppermint, rosemary tomato meal vitamin E supplement, iron amino acid chelate, manganese amino acid chelate, cobalt amino acid chelate, biotin, vitamin a acetate, calcium pantothenate niacin, pyrodoxine hydrochloride (B6), thiamine mononitate (B1), vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, riboflavin supplement, D-L-Methionine, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity) folic acid, copper amino acid chelate, sodium selenite calcium iodate.

Phew.....lots of ingredients. I am assured it is all good by the manufacturers.

Now, opinions please?

As dry foods go it's not bad...my main problem with it is the Vitamin K ,listed as menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity)

From this link.... http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=menadione

"Menadione is added as an inexpensive vitamin K supplement in commercial foods. The common statement as to why it is added is "to help with blood clotting", yet it is scientifically proven that the effectivity of menadione on blood clotting is inferior. Even veterinarians will administer vitamin K1 as an antidote to dogs who have for example ingested rat poison, which causes internal bleeding.

Manufacturers who use menadione in their products also like to claim that it is "more stable" than natural vitamin K and has "more nutritional value". Not a single one of them has acknowledged the scientifically proven side effects of this substance.

It is simple to come to a conclusion about the truth in these statements when you consider that

Not all pet food companies add menadione to their foods and dogs have eaten these products for years without developing deficiencies .

the National Research Council was not able to demonstrate a dietary requirement for vitamin K in dogs during tests when natural ingredients were fed and

fish meals, liver and green plant supplements (e.g. alfalfa, kelp and other seaweed, nettle leaf, blue-green algae, spirulina) are rich sources of natural vitamin K.

Here is a list of negative effects of menadione on the body.

causes cytotoxicity in liver cells

causes formation of radicals from enzymes of leucocytes, with the consequence of cytotoxic reactions

considerably weakens the immune system

possible mutagenic effects

damages the natural vitamin K cycle

has no effect on coumarin derivatives, which are often present in commercial food due to mold contamination (toxic when ingested)

causes hemolytic anemia and hyperbilirubinemia, not just linked to large doses

disturbs the level of calcium ions (Ca2+) in the body, which is an important factor fibrinolysis

is directly toxic in high doses (vomiting, albuminuria), unlike natural vitamin K

builds up in tissue and has been detected in eggs, meat and milk of animals supplemented with menadione derivatives

causes irritation of skin and mucous membranes

causes allergic reactions and eczema "

Tomas.