Sore Leg - Any Advice?

polomum, unfortunately I live at my parents house. Your ideas are good and if it was truly my dog I would be doing those things. As an example of how bad this is, yesterday Amber kept getting taken outside by my parents. I brought her inside and told mum I think it might be wise to leave her in the house so she can rest the leg as it was looking worse. A few minutes later Amber was outside again. This morning I again explained that I'm worried about Amber. I won't post the reply I got. Childish stuff really.

Now sect. 5 of POCTA states:

3) A person in charge of an animal shall not fail at any time:

( a ) to exercise reasonable care, control or supervision of an animal to prevent the commission of an act of cruelty upon the animal,

( b ) where pain is being inflicted upon the animal, to take such reasonable steps as are necessary to alleviate the pain, or

( c ) where it is necessary for the animal to be provided with veterinary treatment, whether or not over a period of time, to provide it with that treatment.

Could someone explain paragraph ( c). What exactly does "necessary for the animal to be provided with veterinary treatment" mean? What necessitates vet action? It could be argued considering Amber doesn't seem to be in any pain, that she uses the leg when she wants to chase something or play; that no treatment is necessary. Also the definition of "veterinary treatment" in the Act is very vague.

The reason I ask this is sect 5 pretty much says that I may also be in breach of the act if I do nothing (since I am often supervising/caring for the dog). And if this is so I would have grounds - actually a lawful responsibility - to take Amber to a vet whether my parents like it or not. And that's what I'm now intending on doing, depending on what the above actually means. So anyone care to explain it? Does Amber's injury make it necessary she's provided with diagnosis/treatment?

Jabbawok .... it seems to me you are in a most precarious and impossible position. I don't know how old you are and it is only my assumption that you are a minor? You are not responsible for your parents. It should be the other way around.

Of course we, like yourself, feel very much concerned for your family dog, but when push comes to shove you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. Unless you can do something and if your parents won't, I don't have a solution to this problem.

Edited by Erny

Poor Amber. jabbawok I am so sorry that your parents are being completly ignorant and ignoring their dogs obvious injury and pain.

Perhaps if you print some information off from the internet about her injury it might get through to them.

if it is your parents dog and you have no way or means to get it to a vet then its not on your head. It is your parents responsability. Why not call the vet and ask what can be done since your parents are finding it hard to comply with instructions.

I know what you're going through ... I've been in a similar situation but I forced OHs parents to pay to remove a rather large tumor inside the dogs mouth that she one day shoved under my nose like it was up to me to do since I was the dog person ... pffft.