Deleted

Thank you for the kind people that posted on this thread, your support has been wonderful. I've deleted the post because someone decided to give me a "mad" face for what I have done and I'm too upset at the moment to read other insensitive replies if they come in.

Edited by Akay

The very fact he is panting when he wakes up is an indication he is in some sort of distress.

It is likely he is just constipated but he hasn't pooed and has lost his appetite therefore he could have a blockage of some kind, so you need to take him to the vet, preferably sooner rather than later.

I do hope he is OK, let us know how you get on.

Edited by ~ArtyFarty~

Hi ArtyFarty, thanks for your reply.

With his recent improvement (see my edit) I'm feeling a bit more comfortable now.... maybe the metamucil and olive oil are having a positive impact. He has also stopped panting. He tried again to go to the loo but nothing came out.

As Artyfatry sdaid the panting is most likely due to pain.

I would be rather worried if my dog was panting, didn't want to eat and had no energy. If this continues I would be seeking a vets help quickly.

Is he drinking water?

What is his normal food? If it is dry food then you probably added to the problem. I would hold off on giving him dry food and give him moist things like sardines and pulped vegtables.

Hi Yellowgirl and Puggy, no nothing exciting unfortunately, despite my encouragement.

He just drank some water, which is good. Normal diet is the vets all natural meal for pets, which contains raw roo meat and vegetable matter.... it's very moist. It'll be the bones I gave him, but you're right, I'll avoid anything dry that might contribute to the problem further.

The poor pumpkin has livened up a bit and showing some signs of his normal self.

I'll take him to the vet tonight to be safe rather than sorry as like you puggy, I am very worried and doubt I'll sleep much tonight.

Thank you for your help, I'll let everyone know how I get on.

Good luck.

I hope he is ok.

I give the pugs lamb flaps once a week. It does make their poo chalkier then usual and cause them to go to the toilet probably twice as much as on other days. But apart from that they have never had a problem. The day after they get the lambs flaps they will usually just get muscle meat and veggie slops as their meal.

Sometimes dogs that have upset stomachs can give you the impression they are constipated when in fact they can have diarrhoea. They can get cramps and an urgency to go just like people do, but if there's nothing left in there, not much would come out.

The fact that mucous is passing sounds more like there is some inflammation in his intestines.

Panting can be a sign of pain/distress/fever.

The lamp flaps may have been too fatty which has given him an upset stomach, or worse, a case of pancreatitis or intestinal obstruction.

just read you've gone to the vet - good idea

Edited by stormie

Hi everyone

A bit of an update - the vet has kept him there for a while and has administered a small enema and tried to break up some of the mass. After the enema he only did a small plop (which was probably what the vet broke off earlier). They've kept him in so they can keep trying to break it up and will give him a bigger enema a little bit later. The vet said that he does have quite a large compacted mass. At this stage he believes it's just a big hard mass causing constipation rather than any intestinal obstruction.

It was my fault, I changed his diet and included a lot of bone two days in a row without giving him any of his normal food. I just took them out of the freezer and wanted to use them up. It's something I've never done before and something I definitely won't be doing again!

Hopefully by this afternoon everything will be find again and he'll be able to do a big poo!! :laugh:

I went thru this with one of my dogs last year and nearly lost her. It was very scary!!!!

She had been getting the same amount of bones for 7 years and one weekend - something happened - no one can explain it but she blocked up and ended up in emergency for a week. They were ready to cut her open but thankfully it didn't come to that!

Now she is not suppose to have bones even again. I must admit have given her one or two here and there though and kept a very close eye on her after. But it would probably only be maybe 3 times since it happened.

Good luck with him - its awful to go through! Glad to hear he is in the hands of the vet.

(There is also a great fluid you can give them to help - I don't know if your vet has suggested it - our vet gave it to me after what happened to Sami as a just in case and you can get it at any chemist - Actilax - it works alittle differently to general laxatives so it safer to give to animals)

Edited by Ci

wow. I'm glad your doggy pulled through. I'm just hoping that I got him to the vets early enough so it hasn't turned into a major problem. Constipation seems to progress so quickly though.

I had decided to stop giving him bones because I did a bit of reading about how they get caught etc. So I was just finishing off the last of the lamb flaps and look what happened! I just wasn't feeling very comfortable with the way he was eating bones in general because he wasn't chewing them properly and I thought he was an accident waiting to happen. I should have just thrown the last lot away, it's funny how we get these feelings (I should listen to my own feelings more!).

Thanks for the recommendation of the fluid, I'll get some to have on hand. Hopefully there won't be a next time though!

Poor guy. I'm sure he'll be okay. Bones are great but they really can cause some problems sometimes. My dogs don't have bones for that reason. I use Dental dry food, Greenies and Box1 Biscuits for their teeth.

Hope your boy is back home with you soon! :laugh:

Bones are good for dogs. :cheer:

But please in moderation. :)

Don't suddenly chance their diet, their poor insides what know what struck them. :)

Mine usually have a chicken frame a day,but I include a cup of dry food with that.

Now this works for me, and when I can't get chicken frames I use chicken mince.

When I find I "have" to use brisket bones I break the whole brisket up into smaller pieces and have have no problems.

If you have to change a diet do it slowly so as not to over load the stomach with something new, that it's not used to.

Cheers :)

I have found lamb necks are ok. After giving them lamb necks, I make very sure that they have plenty to drink and soft food for the rest of the day. If things are a bit slow, virgin olive oil on their food works a treat.

Don't worry about the little red man with the grumpy face Akay, he's shaken his head at me plenty of times and I'm still here :laugh:

Don't beat yourself up about it, we've all made mistakes with our dogs and I'm sure your boy will be fine :cry:

Don't worry about the little red man with the grumpy face Akay, he's shaken his head at me plenty of times and I'm still here :laugh:

Don't beat yourself up about it, we've all made mistakes with our dogs and I'm sure your boy will be fine :cry:

I second Miranda's post, don't let an angry emoticon make you feel worse about a situation I'm sure you already feel bad about. Just give your dog a hug, he holds no grudges.

Bones are good for dogs. :cry:

But please in moderation. :)

Don't suddenly chance their diet, their poor insides what know what struck them. :laugh:

Mine usually have a chicken frame a day,but I include a cup of dry food with that.

Now this works for me, and when I can't get chicken frames I use chicken mince.

When I find I "have" to use brisket bones I break the whole brisket up into smaller pieces and have have no problems.

If you have to change a diet do it slowly so as not to over load the stomach with something new, that it's not used to.

Cheers :laugh:

Is this the post that bothered you Akay? I didn't see any personal attack in it, I think the red face was to emphasise the fact that a sudden diet change can sometimes cause big problems. Which indeed in your case it did .

I think that by deleting your posts, you have removed vital information that could be of benifit to another member. We are all here to learn and sometimes we can learn by mistakes that others have made. Sharing your story (and the responses to it) could make a big difference to someone who may be about to do what you did, and perhaps save someone else a visit to the vet.

Just a thought :sleep:

I hope your boy is feeling a bit better today.

I think the red face was to emphasise the fact that a sudden diet change can sometimes cause big problems. Which indeed in your case it did .

That was my reading of it , as well.

Sometimes it takes a good bout of constipation, or throwing up of bone bits to alert us to the fact that our older dogs can't handle digesting bones as easily as they once did.

I remember giving my old dog enemas................ :laugh:................

No need to delete your posts. We live and learn.

Not everyone realises how much a sudden change in diet can upset some dogs. Some dogs are fine - others are alittle more sensitive. Some dogs digestions just changes as they get older and you would have no idea til things start to make them sick (like what happened in my case)

And not all dogs can tolerate bones.

And you now realise that your dog needs to take things alittle more slowly so you will never make the same mistake again, will you?

You did the right thing as soon as you realised there was a problem and that's what counts!

Edited by Ci