Milk And Cheese

I always thought that dogs were lactose intolerant and therefore we don't give them regular milk. But many people say a little bit of cheese is OK. I don't see how this matches?

Anyone give a little cheese as a treat?

Thanks

I always thought that dogs were lactose intolerant and therefore we don't give them regular milk. But many people say a little bit of cheese is OK. I don't see how this matches?

Anyone give a little cheese as a treat?

Thanks

Dogs are ONLY lactose intolerant if not exposed to lactose when their digestive systems are forming/maturing. 99.9% of dogs that are fed milk (ie cows milk) as puppies will NOT be lactose intolerant in later life.

Dogs become lactose intolerant when you stop giving it to them.

I use cheese & milk when I raise my babies, so when they leave home there will be no lactose issues if the new owners continue feeding it.

I don't give dogs milk because I don't think they require it, but I do give little cubes of cheese as treats. If you ever have a dog that doesn't drink enough a little milk mixed in water will generally encourage them to drink more.

When I lived on a dairy farm 20 years ago my dogs drank as much milk and colostrum as they wanted, it never did them any harm. The dogs I have now have a bowl of pasteurized milk every morning with their fish oil in it, poor things don,t know what they are missing.. all that creamy milk...

I use bits of cheese as training treats (amongst other things), and it's never done my dog any harm. Wouldn't go giving her a whole block though, just small bits about the size of a 5 cent piece. She has around 10 bits some days no problem.

My dog drinks about 1/2 cup of milk every second morning and has no issues at all. He also gets cubes of cheese as a training treat.

I think it depends on what your dog’s tummy can handle.

I use cheese as bait in the show ring (among other things) with no problems.

If fact the minute I start making the kids sandwiches in the morning, Cleo is always standing there living in hope that a piece of cheese might just fall off the workbench. Strange thing is, one usually does :)

I don't give dogs milk because I don't think they require it, but I do give little cubes of cheese as treats. If you ever have a dog that doesn't drink enough a little milk mixed in water will generally encourage them to drink more.

We do the same exactly here.

I use cheese as bait in the show ring (among other things) with no problems.

If fact the minute I start making the kids sandwiches in the morning, Cleo is always standing there living in hope that a piece of cheese might just fall off the workbench. Strange thing is, one usually does :thumbsup:

bahahah yeah i get that with my boy regardless of what im making..

and normally something will fall on the floor as well..

oops lol

My dog drinks about 1/2 cup of milk every second morning and has no issues at all. He also gets cubes of cheese as a training treat.

I think it depends on what your dog’s tummy can handle.

Same here. They LOVE milk and cheese and never have any problems with it.

Dogs become lactose intolerant rather then start out that way. I continued giving my boys milk throughout puppyhood and they've never had a problem with it :thumbsup: and they loooooove cheese :thumbsup:

Same here. They LOVE milk and cheese and never have any problems with it.

my dog might get very grumpy if he were to lose his milk and cheese privileges.

Above all else they are what he loves the most.