Complex Tricks Using Targeting

I am wondering if anyone has any good examples of complex tricks you have taught your dogs using targeting? I am completing a training course that requires us to teach a complex trick using targeting and am looking for some new and possibly unique ideas.

I have used targetting and shaping to teach my dog to put her head in a basket, and then to place and object in the basket. She already knew how to retrieve. I taught her to target the basket with her nose, and then extended that to putting her head in the basket. I then backchained putting the object in the basket, starting with giving her the object right above the basket, then giving it to her next to the basket, then putting it on the ground next to the basket, then moving it further away.

I've also been teaching 2o2o contacts for agility with targetting.

I taught Jarrah to put his paw over his muzzle/face using targeting. Started with him lying down & free shaped the head between the paws & then used a hand target to get him to touch his paw to his face & progressed from there. When he had the idea I transferred it to other positions (stand & sit).

Slightly OT (but not much :) )

I was bored this morning and thought I might try something different. I made a box out of PVC (previously a channel weave set) and decided to see if I could shape Diesel to go into the box for the start of obedience box work (not that we're likely to get that far given his health and focus issues, but it is fun to train stuff anyway). In our first session I had him happily offering to go and stand in the box with all 4 feet :) .

There needs to be several components to it. Eg a somersault would involve: touching a target, touching a target down low near its legs, touching a target between its legs, touching a target whilst flipping over.

I think also the somersault is complex in that it is not a natural movement for dogs.

Other complex tricks can be multi-stepped... Like teaching a dog to open the fridge, get a can and bring it to you while you just sit on the couch and wait. :thumbsup:

My favourite complex trick with Piper was to put rubbish in a foot pedal rubbish bin.

First she had to learn to pick soemthing up and take it to a target, then to release it at the target. In between that I worked seperately on teaching the foot pedal on the bin, gradually increasing the criteria to not rewarding unless the lid was open (the bin we have takes quite a bitof force to open, really had to learn to stand on it with that foot not just touch it) then holding out for duration of foot on pedal, then encouraging her to dip her head in (took some work to get that bit sorted and worked it out by throwing the rewards in there when she kept her foot on the pedal. Then introduced doing that while holding something. And for Piper the addition of holding something became a real hurdle for her - took a bit to realise she could hold an item AND use her foot. She would run to the bin, drop the item, hit the pedal, pick up the item. I had a similar hiccup with teaching a formal retrieve - she would drop the dumbbell, sit then pick it up again. Once she got past hitting the pedal with the item in her mouth it was a very quick transition to putting it in the bin as she already knew to put it in something.

With the bin trick I started off using a tennis ball and later changed the types of items.

Blowing bubbles in a bowl of water is an easy targeting one that looks complex but can be taught in one lesson to a dog that knows how to target. The bubbles part comes naturally, start by targeting an empty bowl, when you add water throw in a dog biscuit to encourage the dog to dip its snout. Hold of on clicking to get a little duation, I use the clicker to click each stage before long all the dog needs is the command to blow bubbles. Most dogs seem to pick this one up very quickly, my girl picked it up in the first lesson. Kinda messy though as water goes everywhere.

With the summersault we did it on the bed to begin with so that she had a soft landing and I stayed close for support and to ensure she kept her head tucked in. While again she picked this up in the first lesson (already knew the head tuck between her legs so she only had to learn the last part for the summersualt) it still makes me nervous as it would be so easy for a dog to break it's neck doing this one. I think it will always be one of those tricks that she does close to me so that I can ensure that she goes over safely.

Targeting with nose or paw must be the most useful trick I've taught as I have used it to teach so many other tricks.

My favourite complex trick with Piper was to put rubbish in a foot pedal rubbish bin.

First she had to learn to pick soemthing up and take it to a target, then to release it at the target. In between that I worked seperately on teaching the foot pedal on the bin, gradually increasing the criteria to not rewarding unless the lid was open (the bin we have takes quite a bitof force to open, really had to learn to stand on it with that foot not just touch it) then holding out for duration of foot on pedal, then encouraging her to dip her head in (took some work to get that bit sorted and worked it out by throwing the rewards in there when she kept her foot on the pedal. Then introduced doing that while holding something. And for Piper the addition of holding something became a real hurdle for her - took a bit to realise she could hold an item AND use her foot. She would run to the bin, drop the item, hit the pedal, pick up the item. I had a similar hiccup with teaching a formal retrieve - she would drop the dumbbell, sit then pick it up again. Once she got past hitting the pedal with the item in her mouth it was a very quick transition to putting it in the bin as she already knew to put it in something.

With the bin trick I started off using a tennis ball and later changed the types of items.

I'd love to see a video of this :rofl:

Blowing bubbles in a bowl of water is an easy targeting one that looks complex but can be taught in one lesson to a dog that knows how to target. The bubbles part comes naturally, start by targeting an empty bowl, when you add water throw in a dog biscuit to encourage the dog to dip its snout. Hold of on clicking to get a little duation, I use the clicker to click each stage before long all the dog needs is the command to blow bubbles. Most dogs seem to pick this one up very quickly, my girl picked it up in the first lesson. Kinda messy though as water goes everywhere.

With the summersault we did it on the bed to begin with so that she had a soft landing and I stayed close for support and to ensure she kept her head tucked in. While again she picked this up in the first lesson (already knew the head tuck between her legs so she only had to learn the last part for the summersualt) it still makes me nervous as it would be so easy for a dog to break it's neck doing this one. I think it will always be one of those tricks that she does close to me so that I can ensure that she goes over safely.

Targeting with nose or paw must be the most useful trick I've taught as I have used it to teach so many other tricks.

I love Jenna's tricks!!

Complex tricks I want to teach my dog :

• Ironing
  • Vacuuming (not with mouth)
  • Washing up (not with tongue)
  • Weeding garden (without leaving gaping holes)
  • Putting out the garbage (not eating it) bins on garbo night

Thanks Rubystar, just a pity she turns into an airhead when it comes to working in a ring.

Erney, when you work out how to teach your dog how to do the housework, let me know and you can teach my girl, I hate housework. Jenna does help a little by cleaning up her toys and also she will collect empty drink cans in a bucket for me. On Youtube there is a Rhodesian Ridgeback that does the dusting clears the plates (plastic) off the table and cleans up his toys, unfortunatly he passed away this month at 6 years old. So sad as he obviously had a very close bond with his owner.