Puppy Feeding And Microchipping

Hi all,

I am getting a labrador puppy in a few weeks and I am unsure what to feed him, the breeder recommends Advance and they make a specific large breed puppy food, I on the other hand had a look at the Iams Healthy Naturals and I like the look of that but it isn't large breed specific. I am a bit confused now as to which one I should feed?

I went to the vet near me today and I found out the price of microchipping, does $60 sound reasonable??

I would be a little upset that your breeder is not microchipping your puppy before it comes home with you.

In terms of microchipping $60 is expensive. But that could be Perth prices.

In Victoria most vets charge approx $40 to $50 but you can get them done for $25 at the RSPCA and for ever less at microchipping days run by local councils and canine clubs.

You should feed whatever the breeder recommends, for at least the first 7-10 days. A puppy going to a new home has quite enough stress to cope with without changing the food too. After that you could change over to something else if your research has convinced you it is better or if it suits your circumstances better.

I can't tell you about the benefits or disadvantages of the foods mentioned as I've never used any of them, but wander over to the Labrador thread and I'm sure you'll gets lots of conflicting and confusing advice :cool:

You should feed whatever the breeder recommends, for at least the first 7-10 days. A puppy going to a new home has quite enough stress to cope with without changing the food too. After that you could change over to something else if your research has convinced you it is better or if it suits your circumstances better.

I can't tell you about the benefits or disadvantages of the foods mentioned as I've never used any of them, but wander over to the Labrador thread and I'm sure you'll gets lots of conflicting and confusing advice :provoke:

Yes I will definatly leave him on the same food he gets at the breeder for awhile, I will also ask the vet when I take him for his vaccs what they recommend.