Do It Yourself Dog Washes

j

I've never used any of the do it yourself type places, and was just wondering how they work?

Do you just turn up and use them? Or do you need to book?

Do you need to take all your own gear? Shampoo, conditioner, towels etc? Or do they have specific stuff that you need to use?

Do they have dryers you can use too?

Do you pay for a certain amount of time and just add more money if you're not finished, or is it a fixed price? An idea on price would be nice.

I normally just wash my dogs in the bathroom (or a babys bath outside in summer) but I only have a normal hair dryer, which they hate, so I was thinking of using one of these if its at all practical.

I only know of one place in Perth that has a free dog wash - or should I say free use of a hydrobath.

It's at a vet, and yes, you just rock on up like you do at a car wash. You bring your own shampoo etc - all that is provided is the water, electricty and the hydrobath.

I guess it's a promotional sort of thing, they maybe hope / expect you take your dog there for heath care as well as the odd bath?!

No dryer though ;) That would be very handy!!

Do you just turn up and use them? Or do you need to book?

Just turn up. You need to wait your turn if it is a busy time and the bath boxes are all in use.

Do you need to take all your own gear? Shampoo, conditioner, towels etc? Or do they have specific stuff that you need to use?

The one I used to use was like a DIY car wash. Dial in what you want (ie shampoo; flea rinse; water rinse; etc.). However I used to take my own dog's shampoo etc as I preferred to know what was going on her. I also took my own towels as my girl, being a RR, didn't need the blower/dryer.

Do they have dryers you can use too?

Yes - like cattle driers.

Do you pay for a certain amount of time and just add more money if you're not finished, or is it a fixed price? An idea on price would be nice.

Used to pay for the time (just like DIY car wash systems). The water stops running after a certain time, depending on how much money you put into the slot. I could get away with a wash for $4 if I hurried, but perhaps $6 - $8 if I was more thorough and conditioned as well. But I'm talking about a fine coated dog in this instance. Price mentioned here was from the last time I used them, which was a few years ago.

I normally just wash my dogs in the bathroom (or a babys bath outside in summer) but I only have a normal hair dryer, which they hate, so I was thinking of using one of these if its at all practical.

I've just had hot/cold water taps installed to my back yard to save mess in the bathroom. But if the weather is frigid I won't wash outside. The place I used with my RR girl (waiting at the Rainbow Bridge now, bless her cotton socks) and which was only about 5 minutes away from me has since closed down. My current boy is also a RR and a good towel off is all he needs. People who groom, or who have dogs with bigger coats and therefore used to dealing with hairy dogs might be able to give you suggestions on driers etc. I would think that a normal hair drier could dry the dog's coat out too much ..... ??? The driers at the DIY place was warm air and it seemed to be the element of lots of air that did the drying rather than the heat of the air, which the way I figure would be less harsh to the dog's coat and skin.

Edited by Erny

With the pro driers there is more air going through the dryer, so the hair is dried by a mix of heat and speed of air flow. Then there are blasters which blow at very high speeds to 'blast' the water from the coat.

If your dog isn't keen on your hair dryer, check you aren't holding it to close to the body or aiming at one spot as both these can burn the dog. Some dogs don't like the noise, so might need the face leaving to air dry. If a dog can't cope with a hand drier, the pro driers are going to be more scary for him. Just be firm and careful with your own drier and he'll get the idea it's OK

I have only been to the one out at Hume - and they do have shampoos and conditioners you can buy there, or you can use your own... But then I thought about the hygiene aspect and got a bit worried about the transmission of nasties from one dog to the next...

...but I decided in the end that it was HEAPS easier (and cheaper) to just buy a 5L container of their shampoo to use at home. I just pop my dogs in the bath (Afghans and a Whippet) and use a cheapo hose attachment on the bath faucet. I do all sorts of convoluted things to make sure I use as little water as possible (including popping my dogs into my sons' bath water after the skin kids are out!).

And I towel dry my dogs, then they are parked in front of the heater while I comb them out (Afghans in full coat). I don't blow dry unless we are going to a show.

I use them all the time. It became a case of having to over summer when I had little water for the house and drinking, let alone bathing dogs (I am on tank water and we had NO rain).

They really are very easy to use but like Erny, I take my own shampoo and conditioner although some of the shampoos there aren't really so bad and I know the guy who supplies them to the commercial dog washes here and he uses them on his own (BIS winning) dogs.

Here they cost $10 for 10 minutes and you can add more time if need be.

The dryers are cattle blower types and I believe they are manufactured by Oldfields which are a quality dryer.

I use the Trublu one in my town, it's fantastic. I take my own shampoo and conditioner and just use the rinse cycle for the whole wash. $10 for 10 minutes, but if I have someone else with me, I can get both dogs shampooed and conditioned in that time. I don't use the dryer as I find it's useless on the thick heavy coats my dogs have, so I towel dry them and I have thick towelling dog coats they wear home. Then I have my own dryer at home.

I should probably add/clarify here....I don't use the dryers at the dog wash either.

At best, if it is a cold day, I will blast a bit of the water out so the dogs aren't actually dripping everywhere, otherwise, they are in crates wrapped in towels and get dried with my own dryers when I get home. I live about 35 minutes from the nearest one so the timing is great for one dog, but the other needs rewetting. This isn't a problem in itself though because I dampen him with a particular "finishing" spray during drying anyway.

It works for me anyway.

Thanks everyone.

I know there is one at Hume here and I think there is another one at a carwash somewhere on the southside.

It might have to be a weekend expedition.

they are only little dogs, but both have long coats

That's Dog World in Hume and down at Lanyon Markets (Conder) they have a DIY near the servo, I think it's about $7 I do plan to check it out when it warms up again

I loved the one I had near me, but like other people said, the driers aren't very good. We bought one of those highly absorbant towels, can't remember what they are made out of but we used the towel as well as the drier. We've just moved to the Hawkesbury so I need to find another one close by.

I've used the one at Dogworld at Hume.

Didn't book.

Dryer took longer than I thought on my standard poodle who's a tall dog, thick coat.

Was room temp air, but high flow to blast water off- hold close to skin.

Apparently is easy to burn/melt hoses with the heated type in inexperienced hands.

Didn't take long at all on the miniature poodle.

Towels, grooming tools provided. Bath looked clean b4 I used it (mid-morning).

BYO shampoo or you can buy some there.

Only problem I found washad a fair amount of dog hair that ended up on me (left by other dogs, poodles only shed dead hair when you brush/comb them).

eta: Just bought myself a dog dryer. Cost about $400

Edited by Poodle wrangler

I only know of one place in Perth that has a free dog wash - or should I say free use of a hydrobath.

It's at a vet, and yes, you just rock on up like you do at a car wash. You bring your own shampoo etc - all that is provided is the water, electricty and the hydrobath.

I guess it's a promotional sort of thing, they maybe hope / expect you take your dog there for heath care as well as the odd bath?!

No dryer though :thumbsup: That would be very handy!!

There is one outside the vet clinic on the corner of Beaufort St and Central Ave in Mt Lawley. It is $10 a wash (gold coins only I think and I think you get 10-15minutes) and provides everything. There are a few shampoos to choose from (3 - dark coat, light coat, flea wash) and a conditioner. Also has a dryer and you have 30 seconds free at the end to rinse down the tub. It was very good when we used it and had a nice chat to the owners.

I use coin operated wash at the local pet store, you can dial in Shampoo, flea wash etc, or use your own. Cost is $1- a minute, I don't use the drier, because they are $1- per min, and blow cold air, and seem really ineffective. I jsut rock on up, and have only once had someone else ccome in wanting to use the wash while I am there.

I towel dry them a bit, throw them in the car (Well not literaly of course! LOL bit big for that) take them home and let them run it off.

Mind you, my dogs are jsut pets.

No dryer though :thumbsup: That would be very handy!!

There is one outside the vet clinic on the corner of Beaufort St and Central Ave in Mt Lawley. It is $10 a wash (gold coins only I think and I think you get 10-15minutes) and provides everything. There are a few shampoos to choose from (3 - dark coat, light coat, flea wash) and a conditioner. Also has a dryer and you have 30 seconds free at the end to rinse down the tub. It was very good when we used it and had a nice chat to the owners.

Thanks for that info Mim, I might just go there next time, just for the dryer!

I washed my Goldie at the vet's free hydrobath today. Brushed him first and got lots of hair out. Loads of hair came out while I was washing him and then when we got home and after he dried off 'au naturale', he got another good hour of brushing and there was STILL hair come off him by the handful!! :laugh:

I think the dryer would help blow a lot of the loose coat out.

Do you know if you can you use it just for the dryer and not the wash?

No dryer though :) That would be very handy!!

Thanks for that info Mim, I might just go there next time, just for the dryer!

I washed my Goldie at the vet's free hydrobath today. Brushed him first and got lots of hair out. Loads of hair came out while I was washing him and then when we got home and after he dried off 'au naturale', he got another good hour of brushing and there was STILL hair come off him by the handful!! :)

I think the dryer would help blow a lot of the loose coat out.

Do you know if you can you use it just for the dryer and not the wash?

You can just use the dryer, or just use the rinse, or just use the conditioner, what ever you want. There's a knob thing and you just turn it to the option you want. Mind you it is $10 minimum so you'd be using the dryer for 10 minutes.

Also be careful letting your goldie dry out "au naturale" ( :laugh: ) on humid days as double coated breeds can get nasty hot spots. Sarge is prone to them :o He sheds like a maniac too. I filled TWO plastic bags to the brim the other day, full of undercoat, and afterward he was still dropping hair as if none of his hair was actually stuck to his skin! :thumbsup::laugh:

paddles-

I don't use the drier, because they are $1- per min, and blow cold air, and seem really ineffective.

Dryers for dogs are supposed to just blow cold air, it's more to 'flick' the water out of the coat rather than use heat and get the dog all hot and bothered. All the groomers I've used have had these kind of dryers on their hydrobaths :)